Pacific Rim is so going to flop..

Comments

• RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    This is easily my most anticipated big budget movie of 2013 so my primary concern is that it doesn't manage to live up to my expectations.

However, as Guillermo Del Toro has been pretty reliable up to now I'll be pretty surprised if this movie isn't at least on par quality wise with something like Hellboy II.

I will admit that I haven't got a clue whether or not this will be a success at the box office but if the majority of cinema goers view it as something made to cater for the stereotypical tastes of teenage boys & dismiss it accordingly then it could be in trouble...
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    In terms of cinema admissions "Pacific Rim" will do terribly badly in the US/UK I'm sure. Overseas... who knows?

Maybe people in far away lands are not bored of films aimed at teenage boys just yet.

I'm not a teenage boy and I love these sort of films
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    It just seems that people are waiting for the first flop of the summer.Most people thought it would be World War Z but that proved to be wrong so now everybody is saying its Pacific Rim or The Lone Ranger.I find it very strange that people are desporate for films to fail before they have even seen them!
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    It just seems that people are waiting for the first flop of the summer.Most people thought it would be World War Z but that proved to be wrong so now everybody is saying its Pacific Rim or The Lone Ranger.I find it very strange that people are desporate for films to fail before they have even seen them!

I hate that people do that. The dweebs were desperate for Man of Steel to be a flop and now they've just shifted all that crap on to another movie...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got to be honest, the more I see of it on tv etc, the more bored of it I am.

It will really need to be more than monsters beating each other up, I need more than that. I need The Avengers, not Transformers.

Am waiting the reviews eagerly.
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »
    Got to be honest, the more I see of it on tv etc, the more bored of it I am.

It will really need to be more than monsters beating each other up, I need more than that. I need The Avengers, not Transformers.

Am waiting the reviews eagerly.

Neither The Lone Ranger or Pacific Rim can be any worse than the dreadfully overrated 'The Avengers' - now THAT is a prime example of a boring action film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Karis wrote: »
    I hate that people do that. The dweebs were desperate for Man of Steel to be a flop and now they've just shifted all that crap on to another movie...

Go into the Man of Steel thread, i was having discussion with someone in there yesterday who still thinks it's a disappointment and can't be classed as a blockbuster despite making nearly half a billion dollars in three weeks...:rolleyes:

I think the major flop of the summer will be either After Earth (although it's been making up for the weak domestic takings with an okay international take) or White House Down which opened pretty badly this weekend in the US, making just $26 million on opening weekend from a budget of $150 million, it couldn't even top Olympus Has Fallen and that had arguably less star power and an R rating.
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched Olympus Has Fallen this morning. Damn good action flick. Had no idea it had done so poorly at the box office. It had no advertising over here that I saw of, but it should've done much better than $160m worldwide.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Go into the Man of Steel thread, i was having discussion with someone in there yesterday who still thinks it's a disappointment and can't be classed as a blockbuster despite making nearly half a billion dollars in three weeks...:rolleyes:

Thats quite the amusing argument.

But I don't consider something a blockbuster based on the money it takes in. Hard to explain but I would consider a film a blockbuster based on the hype it generates before it comes out. And MoS certainly created hype and is doing just nicely at the box office. Summer Blockbuster - Yes.

As for Pacific Rim, I don't think its been well marketed. I don't get to the cinema near as much as I did last year. I think I've only been 4 or 5 times this year. And I think I've only seen the trailer twice. Saying that it does look pretty cool. Another big robot film, but Hollywood can only pump out so many shit robot films before they stumble across a winner. Pacific Rim could well be it.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Movies should make a impact before there release most people I asked about it havent heard of it and one of them is a top movie reviewer!
    'Top movie reviewer' = I have a blog.

As for Pacific Rim's performance, it should do okay in the US but I think will do much better business internationally.

Same applies to The Lone Ranger. Westerns are a tough sell abroad (True Grit did poorly compared to its US take), but Depp, Hammer and the Pirates connection could push it into profit.

I doubt either will flop, but one may underperform next to expectations.

Question is: are these franchise starters? As surely they are intended to be.

btw - Summer flop? RIPD looks like the film no-one asked for, and Two Guns looks far better. Will RIPD prove DOA?
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    But I don't consider something a blockbuster based on the money it takes in. Hard to explain but I would consider a film a blockbuster based on the hype it generates before it comes out. And MoS certainly created hype and is doing just nicely at the box office. Summer Blockbuster - Yes.
    Hmm. Ultimately it is about the money - a film can prove itself a blockbuster by doing far better than expected. After all, the term refers to people queuing round the block, and it's them that decide.

But you have a point about hype and what it sets out to do. Regardless of how well MoS is going to perform ($850m+ I hear), the hype - and the film itself - did something ringing tills sometimes don't. And that's get people really talking about it. Warners/DC/Cavill etc are now right in the game, which was surely as important to the whole MoS campaign as the box-office results.
  • MadeInHarryMadeInHarry Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As for Pacific Rim's performance, it should do okay in the US but I think will do much better business internationally.

Same applies to The Lone Ranger. Westerns are a tough sell abroad (True Grit did poorly compared to its US take), but Depp, Hammer and the Pirates connection could push it into profit.

I doubt either will flop, but one may underperform next to expectations.

Question is: are these franchise starters? As surely they are intended to be.

btw - Summer flop? RIPD looks like the film no-one asked for, and Two Guns looks far better. Will RIPD prove DOA?

I agree with this. I feel it might be number 2 in box office in US and Grown Ups 2 will take a lead.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Well if Battleship can do it, no reason why Pacific Rim cant.

Now that is a film even Michael Bay would be embarrassed to be part of. Dreadful does not even come close.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I trust Guillermo to get it right!
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RAZORBACK wrote: »
    I will admit that I haven't got a clue whether or not this will be a success at the box office but if the majority of cinema goers view it as something made to cater for the stereotypical tastes of teenage boys & dismiss it accordingly then it could be in trouble...

This, very much this.

This is a boys film and it's pretty much being marketed as such.

I wouldn't be surprised if it flops, but because this is GDT i'm really hoping this is a LOT more than just robots fightng monsters.
    Forum Member

He he he... That's probably so true.

Poor Man of Steel. I don't think I've ever seen a movie so horrifically ripped apart by the dweebs on IMDB. They're still declaring it a failure...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Poor Man of Steel. I don't think I've ever seen a movie so horrifically ripped apart by the dweebs on IMDB. They're still declaring it a failure...

They should have a read of this:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/man-of-steel-passes-half-billion-global-mark/

They'll still call it a failure though...:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    They should have a read of this:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/man-of-steel-passes-half-billion-global-mark/

They'll still call it a failure though...:rolleyes:

Yep. Its a total flop :D. Those "clever" boys on IMDB were saying the other day I needs to gross 848 million just to make its costs back as that, they had decided, was the total cost for the movie based on the money the studio made from ticket sales.

I'm just glad no one listens to these people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Yep. Its a total flop :D. Those "clever" boys on IMDB were saying the other day I needs to gross 848 million just to make its costs back as that, they had decided, was the total cost for the movie based on the money the studio made from ticket sales.

I'm just glad no one listens to these people.

Movies generally need triple their production budget to break even. But Man of Steel had a LOT of licensing deals, which would reduce that number...
    Forum Member
    Movies generally need triple their production budget to break even. But Man of Steel had a LOT of licensing deals, which would reduce that number...

Ahhh. That's interesting:)

Means it's on course to do very nicely for itself!

Hardly a flop at all... In fact, it's probably broken even already and the movie studio execs are rubbing their hands gleefully at the new cars they're going to buy.
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not to detrail the thread but I am sure WB would be hoping for a $700m-$800m+ performance at least for MoS but they should be happy with the numbers + the DVD will sell loads so overall a successful reboot (financially anyway)

Anyways back to Pacific Rim - I've no doubt this movie will be brilliant - Del Toro is very consistent with his movies however marketing this will be tricky to the average cinema-goer.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw an advert for it last night on TV. I cringed. It looks dreadful.

Plus, that was the first time I've ever heard of the film or seen a trailer for it or even heard it's name. I'm totally uninterested.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks gorgeous from the trailer . All saturated neon colours and beautiful lighting. But filmed at night to show off the lighting effects.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it flops at the box office, it won't be because of not getting my £8. A big actioner from GDT, yes please.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a lot of faith in GDT, but there are a number of strikes against the movie becoming a super-hit;

1) a dreadful title that means nothing to the general public,
    2) a few recognisable faces, but no stars,
    3) and it looks like another just Transformers movie from the trailers and posters.

I'd be wary of the "buzz" too - it could mean it'll be another Avengers, or it could be the next Snakes On A Plane or Scott Pilgrim...

It's virtually impossible for a blockbuster movie to actually lose money worldwide (especially with DVD & TV sales factored in), so "flop" is a relative term, but I think this could "underperform" without stellar word-of-mouth...