Sky -> Web switchover

I have recently given my notice to Sky as I realised virtually all programmes I watch are available on iPlayer, 4oD or ITV player, access to which I have on PS3. I also never watch live TV, I always record programmes so I plan to completely get rid of live TV. The problem is I have always used recorded programmes list on the Sky box and whenever something new appeared I watched it and deleted it so it was always simple and convenient while web players don't seem to have anything like that.

The question is how to manage favourite programmes, how to keep track of new episodes and those which have already been watched? The best thing I've found so far is Favourites on BBC iPlayer but it's not nearly as convenient as a list of recorded programmes.

Thanks

Comments

• John CurrieJohn Currie Posts: 2,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paw3lk wrote: »
    The question is how to manage favourite programmes, how to keep track of new episodes and those which have already been watched?

You probably don't want to hear this but I'd say keep your Sky box...as you already know, it can do all this.
    You only need to be on the cheapest package that keeps the recording facility.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    You probably don't want to hear this but I'd say keep your Sky box...as you already know, it can do all this.
    You only need to be on the cheapest package that keeps the recording facility.

I don't want to keep it for 2 reasons:
    - money: Sky+ still requires subscription, Sky HD box can be sold on eBay for a quite a bit of money and finally using web player to watch non live TV doesn't require TV licence (whether one actually chooses to pay it when they are required to is a different story).
    - my partner's lack of ability to stop watching random live TV even though she knows it's a pure waste of time so she actually wants to be cut off :)

I'm not a programmer but my thinking is it should be fairly easy to develop a web service where you would have a list of available programmes of your choice similar to say your email inbox. So you would have unread (new), read (viewed) and an option to delete them - as simple as that. Particular episodes on web players have individual web links so it should be easy to link to them, not quite sure how to check if they are available.