The Nelly Furtado Appreciation Thread

Comments

• tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the song she sung at MTV Malta, 'are you gonna be okay?' :)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starting to like the material from this era now
    I was a bit harsh on my past comments so i take it back
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i will admit i did now cancel my pre-order for TSI because (well actually i have no real reason lol) i really had to prioritise what i wanted most :D

And The XX next week is toppest priority...cancelled No Doubt too...will check out new material from them and will buy when slightly cheaper i reckon ;) i am budgeting! :D

And she looks dahling in the PL video shots ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i will admit i did now cancel my pre-order for TSI because (well actually i have no real reason lol) i really had to prioritise what i wanted most :D

And The XX next week is toppest priority...cancelled No Doubt too...will check out new material from them and will buy when slightly cheaper i reckon ;) i am budgeting! :D

And she looks dahling in the PL video shots ;)

Cancelling No Doubt :eek: I'm really fallin' for them now! Push and Shove is such a tune! I didn't really feel Settle Down initially but P+S really made me warm to that too!

Furtado is lookin' hot now. Ray on his white horse to save the day! I do get it about budgeting though insane no of releases.

With ma birthday next month hopefully that can help with the masses of artists coming back!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stefani will never forgive me...i will by dreckly however ;) just buying Mums Bday prezzies and a surprise for her bday on the 23rd of the month...so maybe next month i will be able to afford come pay day...and stuff! haha!

No doub about it...i will own them and Nelly by year end! ;)
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stefani will never forgive me...i will by dreckly however ;) just buying Mums Bday prezzies and a surprise for her bday on the 23rd of the month...so maybe next month i will be able to afford come pay day...and stuff! haha!

No doub about it...i will own them and Nelly by year end! ;)

Im with you Jp Kylie, Nelly, Bat For Lashes, Carly Rae, XX and my most proritised Ellie so many albums so little time plus its my sisters B'day and as i got the other sister a good gift i have to now budget and women are hard to by for.

Also is it just me or has it felt like for ever waiting for TSI its here and im some what underwhelmed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am the opposite HM. Mainly because i have been a late bloomer in liking the material.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    I was going to buy Nelly's album the first week of release to support her, but I'll have to wait until the week after in case I want to buy 'Push and Shove' too! I'm definitely buying Nelly's album though. I don't even need to listen to the snippets, I'm sold! :D

And I TOTALLY agree with MCA. I wasn't even checking for No Doubt after 'Settle Down' being so average, but 'Push and Shove' completely shocked me! That chorus! :D

S/N : Pic of Nelly alongside with the dancers on the 'PL' video shoot (http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/381099_10150995963106442_2098270416_n.jpg)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just over a week now til' the album! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    I was going to buy Nelly's album the first week of release to support her, but I'll have to wait until the week after in case I want to buy 'Push and Shove' too! I'm definitely buying Nelly's album though. I don't even need to listen to the snippets, I'm sold! :D

And I TOTALLY agree with MCA. I wasn't even checking for No Doubt after 'Settle Down' being so average, but 'Push and Shove' completely shocked me! That chorus! :D

S/N : Pic of Nelly alongside with the dancers on the 'PL' video shoot (http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/381099_10150995963106442_2098270416_n.jpg)

Yay! No Doubt really surprised me with Push and Shove. That was what they should have went with first. Judging by that and Settle Down they're VERY unpredictable, they seem to start off with the Ska/Reggae then move into rock and dub step, they're very exciting now after Push and Shove. I'm hoping Amazon puts some of these artists as Album of the Week to help me out financially!

That Nelly pic is everything! Gorgeous. It's exactly the look I've been wanting for her, really neutral, less make up, just the sexy red lipstick is all Nelly ever needed, she's naturally hot!

As for liking the TSI era Big Hoops was a bit of a "What?!" song at first, I really didn't warm to it initially but after seeing it performed I was starting to like it, then I heard Spirit Indestructible and it was only then I started to properly become interested. Parking Lot is hot too so 2/3 instant likes and 1 grower is hopefully enough to make me invest in over a week's time :D
    Forum Member
    I'm completely sure I'm buying it tbh! The deluxe! I've heard 6 songs so far ; the singles, 'Something', which leaked and 2 other songs that surfaced in LQ and were taken down immediately and I'm liking what I hear. I'm sure the rest of the album is on that level too. I cannot wait for the track she did with Demolition Crew, that's the one I'm looking forward to the most.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am the opposite HM. Mainly because i have been a late bloomer in liking the material.

I love the material but it all feels long drawn out and there is no immediacey to it the camapign lost steam as soon as it was pushed back why it ever was in the first place after 6 years since any new English material is beyond stupid i do not see it charting well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm interesting sampler
    This is gonna be an album that needs hardcore listening which i have found with Nelly's three previous albums. She doesn't do run of the mill simple pop albums. She goes full force and it becomes like a project.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot wait to have this album in my virgin hands! :)
    Forum Member
    At first I had decided not to listen to the snippets, but I couldn't resist!! It's even better than I thought! I'm definitely buying the deluxe when it's out! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    High Life sounds fun! Parking Lot...oh yes, Autumn SMASH!!

My favourites of the snippets are High Life, The Most Beautiful Thing, Waiting for the Night, Circles, End of the World and Don't Leave Me.

The Demo Crew track snippet didn't sound like much but we've yet to hear the full song so hoping there will be some surprises there!

I'm loving all the cultural influences on this album she really goes everywhere with it. Some things sound a little Oriental, Indian, Carribbean, it's such a cultural trip!

It's safe to say after listening to those snippets I have cancelled my pre-order of The Spirit Indestructible...only to pre order the deluxe version!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Hey guys, not a particularly huge Nelly fan previously apart from the singles from Loose, but this album has me hooked, it's absolutely awful that she's been overlooked singles-wise so far because this is one of the best albums of the year; you can really tell this is Nelly's opus! I don't care how it performs though- from the sampler I'm really excited and Nelly should be proud of the music she's made!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know Nelly is not the kind of artist who craves commercial success but as a fan its dissapointing when an artist this good gets so overlooked and frankly the campaing for this album has been poor no real promo apart from an appearance on MTV and a great lead single without a sure and identifiable follow up and the push back was a disaster how long are we as fans expected to wait it made the campaign lose steam and TSI after Loose should have been build as a huge album with a bang rather than a whimper.

But on the plus side we do seem to have a genuinely great album to look forward.
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I know Nelly is not the kind of artist who craves commercial success but as a fan its dissapointing when an artist this good gets so overlooked and frankly the campaing for this album has been poor no real promo apart from an appearance on MTV and a great lead single without a sure and identifiable follow up and the push back was a disaster how long are we as fans expected to wait it made the campaign lose steam and TSI after Loose should have been build as a huge album with a bang rather than a whimper.

But on the plus side we do seem to have a genuinely great album to look forward.
    I agree that, as a fan, I want to see her being a chart force again, but I know that she took a very long break and came back with a song that is not produced by Dr Luke or David Guetta, so obviously things wouldn't be easy. She did promote though. She was at the Billboard Awards, Jay Leno, Chatty Man and she'll be on Jimmy Fallon and Live with Regis and Kelly in the US soon. She's still trying to launch the album and 'PL' will be released to radio on Tuesday, so the era is still ongoing :)

Btw, I wouldn't mind this album being 'Folklore' 2.0. - an album that the general public simply doesn't care about, yet it becomes a fan-favorite in a heartbeat! Maybe Nelly is the kind of artist that needs to have a 'Folklore' to have a 'Loose' after that (commercially speaking, because the quality is consistent) :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so excited for this album.

She's on BBC breakfast tomorrow! :D
    Forum Member
    I'm so excited for this album.

She's on BBC breakfast tomorrow! :D
    I hope she performs 'SI' or 'PL'. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    I hope she performs 'SI' or 'PL'. :)

I'm not sure because she seems to be hyping 'PL' pretty much everywhere but 'SI' is a single here (and is released in two weeks). So who knows? Who cares, it's Nelly :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nelly will perform on 'Red or Black' on Saturday :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nelly will perform on 'Red or Black' on Saturday :)

YES! I knew she was coming sooner or later. I reckon it'll be Spirit Indestructible that gets performed seeing as that's the European single, I wouldn't mind two tracks though.

I'm worried for the remainder of the TSI era though with a rumoured new Rihanna album, new Ke$ha, Nicki Minaj, Alicia Keys, Pink, Christina Aguilera that Nelly could be drowned out by the masses of comebacks. i just hope her promo can fair out against all these chart threats. But I love all these acts so I don't mind who charts where. At the end of the day as long as the music is great and the artists are happy then I'm happy too :D