Options

It's A Wheat Field Not Corn

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
Forum Member
Jesus christ, confidential. All those educated people and they don't know the difference between corn and wheat!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    eagleworks wrote: »
    Jesus christ, confidential. All those educated people and they don't know the difference between corn and wheat!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Farmers tend to call all cereal corps 'corn'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    "Corn" was originally a synonym for "grain" (cognate with the word "kernel" -- the centre of a seed).

When settlers went to the US, most of their grain crop was "maize", which they just called "corn".

Even when I was wee (I'm only 31), we talked about "cornfields" around the village (and they don't grow maize in Stirlingshire). The rise of the domestic freezer has meant an increase in "sweetcorn" as a veg, and now we're changing what we say.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and no-ones heard of wheat circles.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HandsomeBB wrote: »
    ...and no-ones heard of wheat circles.

No-one has heard of corn circles either...
  • Options
    fallfallfallfallfallfall Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Karen didnt know what a marrow was in a vid online. This and not knowing what an MP is on BB makes me feel like Stephen Fry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Right, now that's all cleared up, I'll get back to my square bowl of wheatflakes
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fizzics wrote: »
    Right, now that's all cleared up, I'll get back to my square bowl of wheatflakes

Does that mean that I'm eating shredded corn now? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Potentially misinforming the youths of today as to the relative association between corn and wheat was totally worth it for the hilariously corny gags the three of them delivered on Confidential :D

Karen has no idea about her 5-a-day, does she... Bless :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CG Me wrote: »
    Karen has no idea about her 5-a-day, does she... Bless :)
    I'd make a Scottish joke but I'm too scared of the reaction it'd get on here! :p
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WebbieOTW wrote: »
    Farmers tend to call all cereal corps 'corn'
    Niallio wrote: »
    "Corn" was originally a synonym for "grain" (cognate with the word "kernel" -- the centre of a seed).

When settlers went to the US, most of their grain crop was "maize", which they just called "corn".

Even when I was wee (I'm only 31), we talked about "cornfields" around the village (and they don't grow maize in Stirlingshire). The rise of the domestic freezer has meant an increase in "sweetcorn" as a veg, and now we're changing what we say.
    Just look at the Corn Laws in yer history books, for example. They weren't talking about maize.
    No-one has heard of corn circles either...
    I'm pretty certain they were called corn circles before they were called crop circles.
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    It was a wheat field - Moffat provided the corn.

Sorry - I don't even mean that but it was just too easy an opening for a gag. ;)
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a wheat field - Moffat provided the corn.

Sorry - I don't even mean that but it was just too easy an opening for a gag. ;)

So's your mouth, Mink. ;):D:D
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    So's your mouth, Mink. ;):D:D

I doff my cap - brilliant :D:D:D