Chelsea Supporters Thread (Part 3)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,496
Administrator
Heavenly wrote: »
Feel bad for Romeu, he had a chance to shine with Mikel's ban and trip to AFCON. So, we are a bit light in that area.

We have Lamps, Ramires...wonder if we could get Ess back....and the eternal question...and enigma...Mr David Luiz.......I must say, I agree with Pat Nevin about David Luiz....we have been saying this for a while...us Chelsea fans. ;)

Another question that has flitted in the minds of many a Chelsea fan, including yours truly, since his debut is, can David Luiz play as a central deep lying midfielder? Well Rafa is the first man to give him a little shot in there, even if it was only 15 minutes at the end of an already-won Champions League game. In that quarter of an hour David Luiz did nothing to dispel the notion there is a possibility he could be very special in that position. He is fast, powerful, can tackle, looks forward quickly, can and loves to run with the ball and maybe most importantly when he does make the error of being too adventurous, there are usually two centre-backs behind him to cover.

Whether Rafa sees this in the player, or he just wanted to find a way of getting Paulo Ferreira on the pitch and had to move David Luiz forward, or he was listening to the fans (there are a few things I think he would rather not listen to right enough), it was an intriguing moment.

Admin Notice: This thread is a continuation of: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1649936

Comments

• NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
      Forum Member
      Either Luiz or a new signing. Essien wouldn't be much use :( Maybe even recall Chalobah for a few weeks.
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
      Forum Member
      to
      We go straight to the semi final, don't we ? Beat the Mexican champions Monterrey and we are in the final, probably against Corinthians of Brazil.
      From memory, I think there used to be more games than that ?
      But to be honest, I've never taken much notice of it. This is Rafa's third World Club Championship.

No, this has been the general set-up ever since 2005 with the 6 continental champions involved and the European and South American champions seeded to the semi finals.

You are no doubt still recalling the one-off FIFA World Club Championship in Brazil in January 2000 involving again the 6 continental champions but also the Brazilian champions and the 1998 Intercontinental Cup champions in two groups of 4 and a final. That 2000 tournament was when Manchester United infamously withdrew from the FA Cup to compete in it.

More such tournanents were intended but never happeneed and the 6 team format in Japan then started in 2005.

Otherwise until 2004 the world champions were basically looked on as the winners of the Intercontinental Cup clash between the European and South American champions ( originally a two legged often brutal affair and then a one match in Japan from 1980 through to 2004

The Intercontinental Cup took place from 1960 to 2004 and even in that 1999 - 2000 season when Manchester United won it, but not the World Club Championship in Brazil.
    • ButterfliesButterflies Posts: 2,308
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      New thread! :)

Shame to hear about Romeu. Must have been awful to hear he was going to miss the CWC and now he will be out for six whole months. :( Get well soon Romeu!

We're so light atm. Right now we've got Lampard, Mikel and Ramires! Oscar can do a job but by putting him in the pivot, we will be restricting a lot of his qualities. Mikel is suspended atm and isn't Rami suspended for the league game as he picked up 5 yellow cards now? We definitely need to get another DM in January.
      Forum Member
      Ramires will only miss the COC game :cool:

Think we'll have to buy in the window. Fellaini's now saying he wants to stay at Everton, so.....
    • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Well I am off work tomorrow, looking forward to watching the game!

Happy Birthday Victor Moses. :)
    • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I will be watching the match on the BBC HD channel, so it will be intersting to see if you can carry on your recent good form!
    • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I will be watching the match on the BBC HD channel, so it will be intersting to see if you can carry on your recent good form!

Well, I am sure it made a big difference going off to Japan on the back of a victory, I am following the guys on twitter and on Chelsea TV, they are all in really good spirits over there, though I have no idea what Monterrey are like, so it's going to be an interesting one!
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,113
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Terrible news about Romeu I was hoping he would come good this season - we definately need to buy in January now.
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Romeu's not having any luck with us. He was finally getting a chance to stake a claim on the DM position with Mikel's ban. It didn't look that serious when he came off, more like he'd come down hard and jarred his knee than ruptured something :-(
      Rather than blow our cash on a replacement we should try a longer period of Luiz in midfield with two out of Ivanovic/Cahill/Terry as CBs. Azpilicueta has looked good enough to start as RB more often and Bane is more than adequate at CB.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Yeah I was hoping we could ease Romeu in and boot Mikel who is too immobile for the position IMO. Luiz in midfield looks good on paper but what are the realities?
      Forum Member
      Daryl Dark wrote: »
      Yeah I was hoping we could ease Romeu in and boot Mikel who is too immobile for the position IMO. Luiz in midfield looks good on paper but what are the realities?

Some quotes from him today make it clear why he is such a liability in defence. I'm not sure he'll be much better in midfield, but it's worth a try.
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      I don't think Mikel is that bad at DM, a bit slower than ideal, but with a nice touch and good positioning most of the time. Just when he is caught out or has a brain fart goes rampaging up field we suffer as no one else in midfield covers for him.
      I'd rather we got a striker than another midfielder and just got the current midfield guys playing smarter. At the moment it's Mikel and the defence defending and everyone else attacking. We need a bit more responsibility from the other midfielders and Torres defensively when we're not in possession.
    • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      We lose Mikel in January anyway, he'll be going to the African Nations Cup..again ! How often is that tournament held these days ?
      I don't think Everton will release Fellaini in January, unless the player is desperate to leave, which doesn't seem to be the case. Reports suggest we are turning our attention to Paulinho of Corinthians...so we might get a close-up view of him on Sunday.
      Another report says we are taking a look at Sampdoria midfielder Pedro Obiang. But at only 20, he sounds more like one for the future.

I would also like to see Luiz given a chance in midfield. He looks more logically suited to that role, and I've thought that ever since he joined us. So at least if he fails, we could forget about the idea.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      The African Nations is a joke, they are clearly doing it for the cash. Bloody hell well at least we don't have Drogba to lose as well!
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
      Forum Member
      Good Luck to Rafa and the boys hope we win :)
      Forum Member
      kana wrote: »
      I'd rather we got a striker than another midfielder and just got the current midfield guys playing smarter.

Agreed. We have enough midfield options as it is. Better to recall a couple than spend money on another.

Unless it's Fellaini.
    • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      is the world cup game on tv?

Its mikel and luiz in midfield

this is the strongest team CFC can field in a 4:2:3:1 (without Terry out injured), really looking forward to seeing how we perform:

Cech

Cole
      Cahill
      Ivan
      Apzi

Mikel
      Luiz

Oscar
      Hazard
      Mata

Torres
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      NinjyBear wrote: »
      Unless it's Fellaini.

I agree, this guy should come to us!
    • JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,155
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      codeblue wrote: »
      is the world cup game on tv?

Its mikel and luiz in midfield

this is the strongest team CFC can field in a 4:2:3:1 (without Terry out injured), really looking forward to seeing how we perform:

Cech

Cole
      Cahill
      Ivan
      Apzi

Mikel
      Luiz

Oscar
      Hazard
      Mata

Torres

BBC HD channel.
      187 if you have Virgin.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Jokanovic wrote: »
      BBC HD channel.
      187 if you have Virgin.

BBCHD???

what kind of idiots are they!
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      codeblue wrote: »
      BBCHD???

what kind of idiots are they!

Its online as well on the sport website.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Luiz playing well in midfield.
    • ste1969ste1969 Posts: 1,203
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      looks like lucky chelsea are playing the worst team in world football
    • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Are you bothered by this FIFA World Sponsorship Money Cup?

Not like you need the cash
      Forum Member
      Ambassador wrote: »
      Are you bothered by this FIFA World Sponsorship Money Cup?

Not like you need the cash

I'm bothered about every competition we're in. We've already lost 2 this year :(
    This discussion has been closed.