Options

Worst advert on TV at the moment (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Any Halifax ad is guaranteed to boil my pee, but the one with the fake female radio DJs "ISA ISA baby" is the sort of ad that would only appeal to the kind of smug banker scumbags that need to be drowned in a vat of corrosive liquid.

Surely that has to be up there as the most annoying ad of all time - Isa, isa baby - with the women doing the clicky thing with her neck/head!:mad:

Those grannies are annoying now too - the puppet ones, forgot the ad for a sec!
    The woman in a bath with a chocolate yoghurt & the fireman! Very phallic IMO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    ^ Or you can just wait a few hours and see them on Match of the Day or its Sunday equivalent without having to pay a penny.

But I'm a child of the 21st century - I want it NOW - I can't wait otherwise my head will explode.
    Please give me more shiney plastic electronic toys that I can stare at all day and not have to see the world around me:rolleyes:
  • Options
    molocottagemolocottage Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Harvester with that awful boy giving orders in the kitchen :mad::mad::mad:

Oh, yes! I want to turn it off every time I see that child say 'I'm allowed'!
  • Options
    SuddenEliteSuddenElite Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Has anybody mentioned the Victoria Plumb ad where the two kids in the bath without their front teeth scream "Victoria Plumb!" out?!
    Kids can be cute. Yep. Those two are just very, very annoying!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TrishaS wrote: »
    Well, it was kinda tongue in cheek but hey ho whatever :D

Ah, fair enough :)
  • Options
    RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely that has to be up there as the most annoying ad of all time - Isa, isa baby - with the women doing the clicky thing with her neck/head!:mad:

Those grannies are annoying now too - the puppet ones, forgot the ad for a sec!
    The woman in a bath with a chocolate yoghurt & the fireman! Very phallic IMO.

indeed, also wouldn't the water from the hose be extremely cold? so her bath would actually be a freezing bath rather than a warm bath?
  • Options
    thismorningfanthismorningfan Posts: 1,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Maryland chocolate gooeys ad is starting to get on my nerves.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sky ad for the various bundles..the way she says 'bundles' really irritates me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The sky ad for the various bundles..the way she says 'bundles' really irritates me!

My ex-girlfriend's pet name for me was Bundles (don't ask :o )
    so this advert especially irritates me. Lol.
  • Options
    g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fat chav woman dancing at a bus stop because she's won after playing bingo on her mobile phone
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the muller rice advert - what on earth does a bear have to go with yoghurt? (im not sure its called yoghurt but you know what I mean)

the singing so**ing meerkats - enough already!!!!!!!!! I mute every time it comes on
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The TrustDeedScotland ad .... if you get cold calls or texts .... its not us .... we are 100% operated in scotland yadyaya....:rolleyes:

quantum claims - scotland has a champion .....is that all really? (i know we get beaten in footy/rugby etc) but for solicitiors ... ok then - why does ads for "scotland" have to sound like as if your one of us when you bloomin well live in it! :eek:
  • Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new go compare ad , do you reckon they are doing a 'compare the meerkats' and market that awful doll of the man?:eek::mad:
  • Options
    eviled2010eviled2010 Posts: 23,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That fecking "Sun+ Goals App" ad....."You can watch it here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here...."
    Bloody annoying! :mad:
  • Options
    HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This must have been mentioned already but no time to look through thread...the Ikea ad with the creepy plastic children!! Everything about it is annoying, as was the gnome murdering ad. Pity because they have done some good ads in the past.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to like One Sheet, but I think rubbing dirty bins and saying Plenty Wet while winking at the camera is a step too far.
  • Options
    Danno2020Danno2020 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    eviled2010 wrote: »
    That fecking "Sun+ Goals App" ad....."You can watch it here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here...."
    Bloody annoying! :mad:

Oh that advert is annoying! What really annoys me is when they say "here, at a wedding" when it's blatantly obvious that's where the guy is. Patronising much!? Every other clip, he just says "here" but for that particular one, they feel the need to explain it and it just doesn't make any sense to me.

+1 vote for the yoghurt (muller rice?) with the lady in the bathtub wishing her yogurt could be only 99 calories. Why exactly? If your wishes could come true like that, why wouldn't you wish for it to be zero calories? If you have to wish for something so trivial at all, that is.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    The new go compare ad , do you reckon they are doing a 'compare the meerkats' and market that awful doll of the man?:eek::mad:

I doubt it. Loads kids seemed to like the
    Meerkats.
    But the Go Compare doll looks too creepy for small kids, and I can't imagine anyone else wanting one.
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another one is SmartList.co.uk ad (not sure if its shown all over UK yet), basically another "recruitment" site from what I gather.... guy swinging in a hammock whilst a work collegue chaps on his door

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe5KtH4zHTI << check it out and again that "twang" again!
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Phileas Fogg crisp ad :mad:
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Really?

The tag-line is "Whatever's Comfortable" ...

... and he's wearing speedos on the beach (where it is hot) despite being rather podgy ...

... so he's comfortable ... rather than being hot and sticky in wearing clothes to cover up his belly and moobs ...

and he's advertising Southern Comfort ... ?

What's not to get?

I do feel you have missed the very obvious double meaning which is that he is comfortable drinking Southern Comfort. He doesn't care what people think of him and that is rather cool.
    So despite him being rather uncool, his attitude is very cool and you want to be him on that level. It's a good psychological trick to make that drink more acceptable to men.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    "Maaaaan crisps..."

The joke just isn't funny :cry:

I mean I have to admit, the Yorkie ad with the guy carrying the bags and the Snickers diva ad made me chuckle, but this attempt at Man Humour is just a big fat fail.

What's with all the links? I'm not sure :confused: It just felt like the right thing to do at the time.
  • Options
    eviled2010eviled2010 Posts: 23,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Phileas Fogg crisp ad :mad:

Just seen that one...bloody awful.
    And to think whoever thought that up with the stoopid Mexican wrestling thing is probably paid very very well to annoy the **** out of us when we are just minding our own business and watching the telly makes it even worse! :mad:
  • Options
    Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    fefster wrote: »
    I do feel you have missed the very obvious double meaning which is that he is comfortable drinking Southern Comfort. He doesn't care what people think of him and that is rather cool.
    So despite him being rather uncool, his attitude is very cool and you want to be him on that level. It's a good psychological trick to make that drink more acceptable to men.

Utter rubbish. Since when has Southern Comfort been regarded as a woman's drink? And if they wanted it to act as a "trick" to gain acceptance as a man's drink, they'd hardly choose a bloke with a huge beer-gut as a role model. "Drink Southern Comfort guys, you'll end up as cool as this fat f*cker". That is the message you see? Really??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fefster wrote: »

Erm.. I don't think you can go around telling other people they've missed the point and then say the bloke in this advert is uncool.
    The whole point of the Southern Comfort advert is the essence of what 'cool' really is - the absolute key is this man's 'coolness'. There is no 'trick'. The man, the location, the reaction towards him are all absolutely intentional. It's challenging exactly the lazy point so many on here obviously buy into: that this man can't possibly be cool because he's not 21, with spiky hair, statement specticles and a shiny blazer worn with Levis. People are told what to think of as cool these days. Everything and everyone is branded, rated, analysed, compared. "What do you MEAN you haven't got an iPhone5?"
    What the Southern Comfort ad does is remind us what 'cool' really is. This man is cool, that's what. COOL IS NOT AN IMAGE, OR A BRAND - COOL IS A STATE OF MIND, AN ATTITUDE. ITS EFFORTLESS. Why won't people 'get' it?!
    As far as I can see it's a fairly obvious message delivered with a touch of class.
    Okay, let me think a minute... Right. What sort of image do spirit companies want to put out there? That their brand is 'trendy' yes? And most use 'trendy' young men and women in cocktail bars to deliver the message BECAUSE THAT'S THE 'CURRENT' BELIEF OF COOL: I can think of Disarono (spelling, sorry!), the new Jack Beam one and Smirnoff from the top of my head. (it is only 5.45am, sorry!!)
    But that image is contrived, its manufactured, its false, its forced. All things that 'cool' is not. 'Cool' is timeless, 'Cool' is free thinking, 'cool' is being what you want, how you want - the confidence and the attitude to be an individual, not how some advertising exec in an indentikit office in North London wants you to be.
    That's what this ad does. It challenges the concept of manufactured cool. It focuses on a 'normal' bloke, gives him a swagger, gives him real individuality - note the moustache, the glasses? They're not there by accident. They're his style.
    The ad also gives him a magnetic level of self confidence and an effortless sexyness that the girls react to - subtle message, there are bubblegum hunks on this beach trying desperatly to catch the eye but he's the man.
    It's asking a straightforward question:
    Strip back the fancy clothes, the fancy hair, the ear-rings; the smart phone, the iPod, stop peacocking yourself around in the latest cocktail bar with the latest fad mix and ask yourself: what have you got left? Because our hero doesn't need a cocktail bar mixing the latest blends in the trendiest settings. That's not 'cool'.
    All our man needs is a pair of trunks and a Southern Comfort. 'Cos that and the right attitude is all he needs to be cooler than anybody else.
    Jeeeeeeeeeeeez. Is that REALLY so hard to grasp? There are no hidden messages and its CERTAINLY not about turning men onto a woman's brand. It's a beautifully shot, fantastically cast advert that proves in its delivery - as with the actor - that the coolest things are the simplest things. And what could be simpler than a glass of Southern Comfort.
    Incidentally, his weight is largely irrelevant other than as an over-exagerated contrasting tool.
    Rant over!
This discussion has been closed.