Eggs use-by date

Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone used eggs after the use by date and if so how long after? Would you recommend it?

We have a box of 10 in the fridge use by 31 March and I was going to make an omelette or two out of them but don't want to get the runs :D

Comments

• Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't advise it but I'm sure some people have done it and survived.
  • MadgeMadge Posts: 6,492
    Forum Member
    Anyone used eggs after the use by date and if so how long after? Would you recommend it?

We have a box of 10 in the fridge use by 31 March and I was going to make an omelette or two out of them but don't want to get the runs :D

I'd risk it. You'll be breaking them anyway, so if they're off you'll know long before they get near your omelette pan never mind your mouth.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Yes, break them into a bowl and there will be no doubt at all if they are gone off .A rotten egg stinks to high heaven .I use my eggs a good week after use by date ,but I do keep them in the fridge .
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    Take no notice of the use by date, if you break the egg and it's okay then eat it.

You only have to see a bag of spuds, onions or carrots to see the stupidity of these dates. Spuds will keep for months, onions can be stored all through the winter and the same with carrots, etc.

Meat and fish is another matter altogether and I don't go over the safe date with such perishables, but eggs, potatoes, salad stuff etc., use your common sense, you can tell if it's gone off and if it hasn't, eat it.
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're cooking the eggs in an omelette I wouldn't even think twice about using them I'd just be cooking them now. Not long enough for them to go bad and they're not being eaten raw so you're cooking out harmful bacteria.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, We do keep them in the fridge.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You shouldn't keep them in the fridge.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should be perfectly ok, I've often used eggs two or three weeks past their date without problems.
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »

I have kept mine in the fridge now for 40 years as did my mum before me and we never came to any harm at all
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're unsure, put them in a bowl of water, if they sink they're fine, if they float they're off! If one end floats, then they're turning!
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    I never take any notice of Use By dates on eggs! The tip is to put the eggs in a bowl of water, if they float, they are off and shouldn't be used. If they sink, they are perfectly fine :)
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have kept mine in the fridge now for 40 years as did my mum before me and we never came to any harm at all

I've never and nor did my mum. They cook better at room temperature.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    If you're unsure, put them in a bowl of water, if they sink they're fine, if they float they're off! If one end floats, then they're turning!
    Except in the southern hemisphere where they rotate anticlockwise :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think after 40 years they'll definitely be off! ;)
    Forum Member
    I think after 40 years they'll definitely be off! ;)

:D I did wonder what that smell was !!!
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

this. they aren`t in the fridge when you buy them.

if they float they`re off.
  • nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    HollyC wrote: »
    I never take any notice of Use By dates on eggs! The tip is to put the eggs in a bowl of water, if they float, they are off and shouldn't be used. If they sink, they are perfectly fine :)
    That's no use when buying them, especially if you're planning ahead and intend to use them over the next week.
    I've never and nor did my mum. They cook better at room temperature.
    Nothing to stop people from leaving them out of the fridge for some time before using them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »
    That's no use when buying them, especially if you're planning ahead and intend to use them over the next week.

If you buy fresh eggs then you can pretty much guarantee that they will last at least the week. The bowl of water advice is if you have had them for a while and are unsure!
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could eat an omelette after reading this but am having a bit of pork pie instead. I'd rather have scrambled eggs over an omelette though, fried until golden brown.
    Forum Member
    this. they aren`t in the fridge when you buy them.

if they float they`re off.

Can you tell me why they should not be in the fridge ? What reason is there ? I keep bread in the fridge and dont buy it from a fridge .Also fruit and veg and mayo etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you tell me why they should not be in the fridge ? What reason is there ? I keep bread in the fridge and dont buy it from a fridge .Also fruit and veg and mayo etc

Ideally they should be room temperature so its a quality issue more than anything. Nothing wrong with keeping them in the fridge really!
    Forum Member
    Ideally they should be room temperature so its a quality issue more than anything. Nothing wrong with keeping them in the fridge really!

Ah okay thanks .So the poster really meant best not in fridge rather than should not be kept in the fridge .
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never seen a supermarket keep the eggs in any kind of fridge so am baffled as to why some customers feel a need to put them in there when they get them home. They are always just on room temperature shelves and they can be there for days or sometimes weeks until they're bought.

It's not like the chickens hang out in 5 degree temperatures where they lay them either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah okay thanks .So the poster really meant best not in fridge rather than should not be kept in the fridge .

Same goes for tomatoes, people keep em in the fridge but ideally they should be room temp, and strawberries!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've been told that aswel, but then I wouldnt be able to use the special egg holder that was in my fridge when I bought it.:p

I've used eggs 10 days past the use by date without even realising till I have already eaten them. As a few posters have said, once you crack them, you will know if they are off or not straight away.