Options

24hr news channels covering celebrity deaths

stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
Forum Member
Obviously referring to Robin Williams. Tragic, and very sad, but does anyone else cringe slightly when they rattle through Twitter tribute from Z-listers? I understand why they do it - it's easy padding, really, but I just wish they wouldn't. The morbid cynic in me tells me it wouldn't hurt a z-lister's career to put out a tweet right now and get a mention on the news channels.

Comments

• Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    The world changed after Princess Di died. Its now a competition to show your empathy/sadness/sympathy and make yourself part of the mourning event.
  • Options
    Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The extent of my reaction when I heard the news was a raising of my eyebrows.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Gordie10 wrote: »

We are here for you at this time,should you need us ;-)

All jokes aside,it is the griefy outpouring and the sadness competition from people who have never met,would never have met,but saw that person on TV a few times that makes me completely desensitized to celebrity deaths.
    People on my Facebook are "breaking the news" as though they are newsreaders.
    I have been a Facebook user for 5-6 years and I have never ever seen anyone I know post about Robin Williams before,and yet today will be "candle in the wind" day for Mrs Doubtfire.
    I just don't get it at all.
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    Celebrities have always paid tribute to other celebrities. They can now do it with more immediacy due to the advent of social media, rather than having their agent issue a press release.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I would expect it's of interest to viewers which, after all is the point rather than being worthy for the sake of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad the media vultures get such a kick out of death.

And all the minor 'stars' trying to get on the grief bandwagon.

All that aside he was a really great comic and serious actor.

Saw him live once years ago, laughed so hard I cried. It was like having a huge old Englidh sheepdog sitting on your lap telling jokes. Great performer sad the black dog drove him to this.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    You only have to look at how Sky have gone mental over this bloody Oscar Pistorious trial to see how OTT they go in this sort of thing.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie10 wrote: »

+1

How many people in Gaza have died, and how many killed by Ebola since Mr Williams perished ?
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously referring to Robin Williams. Tragic, and very sad, but does anyone else cringe slightly when they rattle through Twitter tribute from Z-listers? I understand why they do it - it's easy padding, really, but I just wish they wouldn't. The morbid cynic in me tells me it wouldn't hurt a z-lister's career to put out a tweet right now and get a mention on the news channels.

Someone (Ben Stiller?) tweeted saying that a tweet isn`t the right place to properly pay tribute but by doing so did just that!

If it was called something else other than Twitter/Tweets it might seem more dignified in situations like this.
    Mark C wrote: »
    +1

How many people in Gaza have died, and how many killed by Ebola since Mr Williams perished ?

People die every minute of every day. Does your sanctimony have you permanently affected by their deaths? Have you commented about all those? Why just the Ebola and Gaza deaths? List the rest so we can all pause for thought.

If you`re going to try and claim some moral high-ground be careful, the grass is very slippy up there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    People die every minute of every day. Does your sanctimony have you permanently affected by their deaths? Have you commented about all those? Why just the Ebola and Gaza deaths? List the rest so we can all pause for thought.

If you`re going to try and claim some moral high-ground be careful, the grass is very slippy up there.

Robin Williams' death, tragic and untimely as it is, of little importance, and the world will carry on turning.

Middle East conflicts, and Ebola both have the potential to wipe all of us out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robin Williams' death, tragic and untimely as it is, of little importance, and the world will carry on turning.

The world`s still turning despite thousands of years of conflict and disease. I think we can spare some time to mourn an individual`s passing before we get back to the liberal hand-wringing as we sit, watch and do absolutely nothing.
    Middle East conflicts, and Ebola both have the potential to wipe all of us out

But they won`t, as you well know.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The world`s still turning despite thousands of years of conflict and disease. I think we can spare some time to mourn an individual`s passing before we get back to the liberal hand-wringing as we sit, watch and do absolutely nothing.
    and display no real willingness to want to get involved (even though we helped create the mess, and even though the situation in Northern Iraq is demonstrably far worse than that of Libya prior to our last intervention).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    and display no real willingness to want to get involved (even though we helped create the mess, and even though the situation in Northern Iraq is demonstrably far worse than that of Libya prior to our last intervention).

We live in an insane world where the west arms Israel and then supplies humanitarian aid to Gaza for the maimings those same weapons caused.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/07/israel-gaza-united-states-assistance-unrwa
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A liberal hand wringer ? Blimey, I've always considered myself as having right of centre views, so I'll take that as an endorsement of my impartiality ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A liberal hand wringer ? Blimey, I've always considered myself as having right of centre views, so I'll take that as an endorsement of my impartiality ;-)

It`s a general "we". Don`t let it go to your head.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does all seem to be rather over the top and ungenuine with tones of sycophancy.

Nanu, Nanu.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its certainly worth a mention, but the first item on the news? I think people need to get things in proportion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its certainly worth a mention, but the first item on the news?

And it won`t be tomorrow.

Some of the papers will be playing catch-up but the TV news will have moved on.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its certainly worth a mention, but the first item on the news? I think people need to get things in proportion.

Especially when a lot of the news coverage is just the presenter reading out celebrity tweets.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A big-name Hollywood actor and comedian dies, seemingly taking his own life. That IS news and it does deserve top billing for now (on the basis that it is concerning a top actor, and that it has just been announced). Tomorrow, it will no longer be a top story.

That's the nature of news and news coverage
  • Options
    Chris_WilsonChris_Wilson Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

well we had twitter tributes from A-listers as well and when I found out the news even although I only watched him in ONE film, I was as devastated as they were
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it won`t be tomorrow.

Some of the papers will be playing catch-up but the TV news will have moved on.

It was the splash in the last edition of The Sun this morning. I misheard it on the radio and thought they said ''Robbie Williams''.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I misheard it on the radio and thought they said ''Robbie Williams''.

A Talksport host, Alan Brazil, claimed to think the same thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqgLwDRdfvw

Apparently he has a history of tasteless comments about depression so I would imagine complaints will have been made.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone (Ben Stiller?) tweeted saying that a tweet isn`t the right place to properly pay tribute but by doing so did just that!

Someone (not Stiller) commented that they were glad they did not learn of his death through Twitter, presumably someone contacted them directly and told them. No different from saying that they were glad that they did not learn of the death in a newspaper or on the TV news.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time to move on now Sky and BBC back to the other news now it's been 12 hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Someone (not Stiller) commented that they were glad they did not learn of his death through Twitter, presumably someone contacted them directly and told them. No different from saying that they were glad that they did not learn of the death in a newspaper or on the TV news.

Here`s Stiller`s:
    Ben Stiller @RedHourBen · 9h
    A tweet cannot begin to describe the hugeness of Robin Williams heart and soul and talent. This is so sad. #RobinWilliams

He posted another five after that. They were clearly close.