Weird dizzy spells and feeling generally out of sorts

2»

Comments

• louloubelle1978louloubelle1978 Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so glad for you that you finally have an answer, you must be very relieved!

So how long did they say it would take to clear up? If you are still not right after a week, be sure to go back & get another sick note.

Hope the nasty symptoms subside soon for you .

Thanks Lone Ranger!

The Doctor did not give me a time frame but he said it (hopefully) should calm down by the end of the week. He said its super nasty and that he feels for me!
  • robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know. I had weird tests at the Hospital where they pour water in my ears and I had to lay down to the right and then to the left - of course I went dizzy. I don't have any hearing problems. I took stemetil as it has a calmer in it. I have also taken stugeron but stopped that.

I always seem to get an attack if I get stressed out or worried about something. The worse thing I did was to take stemetil for 2 years then discover I couldn't stop it without feeling extremely nauseous. It is an anti-dizzy and anti-nausea tablet.

yes ive heard it has those side effects
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may finally know what's wrong with me!
    I have been told that I have "Vestibular Distortion" which is a severe inner ear infection. At first they thought I may have Menningitis:eek:
    The nice doctor wrote me a sicknote for the rest of the week as he said "Work? Forget it" after doing some tests on my balance.

He said to get plenty of rest and that it should clear up soon. I'm so glad it's nothing sinister!

To the posters who have similar problems to mine PLEASE persist and get it checked out as the worst that can happen is a jab in the bum! Hope it all works out and please post to let us know what the problem was. And thanks once again for all the kind words and help!

Oh God, you poor thing! It sounds similar to labyrinthitis, so I feel for you. My advice is to really take it as easy as possible - I made the mistake of trying to get back into things too soon and it made me worse. I also found it impossible to relax as I was terrified during bad bouts of dizziness, but it's important that you do. Don't go back to work until you're totally ready, as it'll set you back.

I'd also advise against going on a treadmill! Not sure why I thought it would help, but it was so disorientating, it made me sick!

Anyway, keep us posted on your progress and put your feet up!
  • Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    I wonder if it's anything to do with the time of year. My daughter woke on Thursday morning with the room spinning and she was very scared and panicky. She felt nauseous and could hardly move because of the dizzy head. The doctor gave her a prescription for stemetil which helped to calm her down and she is just sitting in bed terrified to move and it's Saturday today!

I looked in the medical book and it says it is labrythitis caused by a virus, inflammation of the labrynth in the ear. It can last for 10 days or more. It's the most horrible and debilitating illness.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    I wonder if it's anything to do with the time of year. My daughter woke on Thursday morning with the room spinning and she was very scared and panicky. She felt nauseous and could hardly move because of the dizzy head. The doctor gave her a prescription for stemetil which helped to calm her down and she is just sitting in bed terrified to move and it's Saturday today!

I looked in the medical book and it says it is labrythitis caused by a virus, inflammation of the labrynth in the ear. It can last for 10 days or more. It's the most horrible and debilitating illness.

Your daughter has my total sympathy! I suffered from that last year. Not only was the dizziness and nausea horrendous, but it really was quite scary too!

I'd definitely echo what an earlier poster said about not doing too much too soon - I went back to work far earlier than I should have and ended up having a massive relapse and being off for much longer!
    Forum Member
    klinnet wrote: »
    Your daughter has my total sympathy! I suffered from that last year. Not only was the dizziness and nausea horrendous, but it really was quite scary too!

I'd definitely echo what an earlier poster said about not doing too much too soon - I went back to work far earlier than I should have and ended up having a massive relapse and being off for much longer!

It really is horrible, she is walking like a zombie but mainly staying in bed and has eaten nothing today but just drinking water.

How long did yours last?
    Forum Member
    Mine stuck around for ages unfortunately. i had about 2 weeks of the really severe symptoms, but i'd say it was a good couple of months before i felt totally normal again. i was prescribed stemetil to help with the nausea in the short term, and found that at least with that it took the edge off the nausea so that i could get some normality back!

I hope your daughter starts to feel better soon :)
    Forum Member
    klinnet wrote: »
    Mine stuck around for ages unfortunately. i had about 2 weeks of the really severe symptoms, but i'd say it was a good couple of months before i felt totally normal again. i was prescribed stemetil to help with the nausea in the short term, and found that at least with that it took the edge off the nausea so that i could get some normality back!

I hope your daughter starts to feel better soon :)

Thank you! She has taken stemetil since yesterday morning but doesn't feel any better yet.
    Forum Member
    Thank you! She has taken stemetil since yesterday morning but doesn't feel any better yet.

I found it took a couple of days before I felt the benefit, plus on my doctors advice I increased the dosage for a few days to kick start them into my system. They're not a miracle cure but they at least got me to a point where I was relatively confident that I wouldn't vomit if I moved!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i still get dizzy spells ive stopped my prchloparizine as it was just making it worse i assume its just my vertigo-much better since i stopped the pills though

maybe i should be having tests like miriam?
    Forum Member
    i'd definitely advise chatting to your gp about it robbie's gal. my doctor took the dizziness pretty seriously - luckily mine stopped on its own, but she was talking about hospital referrals if it went on for much longer.

always worth getting these things checked out, not least because it's an awful feeling! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well yes it is hard to cope with at times-i should go back as my pills jsut dont work-doctor wasnt that interested at the time anyway just said its vertigo and gave me pills