Would you buy an 'old' phone?

princesarock12princesarock12 Posts: 1,594
Forum Member
✭✭✭
*By old I don't mean second-hand or old in age, I mean an old make i.e. a phone that used to be very popular a few years ago but is less common now

I've wanted the orange LG enV for a while, but since it's only available in America and I have searched high and low in the UK to no avail, I settled on ordering a similar-looking phone (oh I'm very superficial when it comes to gadgets :D), the Motorola PEBL (in orange). *I should also add how hard it is to get hold of these too!*

Anyway, my point is that I realise this is quite an old phone now, it came out in 06 and was very popular then, but now it's much less common. I'm fine with this and not bothered, but my question is, would you be comfortable buying and using/'wearing' and old phone? Especially buying one, as in it's not just one you've had for years?

Just thought this was quite interesting, as most people I've asked have said no (which although I expected that, I also felt it was quite shocking).
:)

Comments

• cavemanjamescavemanjames Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I felt it was better than what was out there according to my needs at the time, why not?
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a Nokia N95 off ebay last year, was quite happy with it but now i want one that has Flash, so i'll be buying a Desire sometime next month.

It will be new though, not 2nd hand
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    I think it depends alot on the phone and then comparing it. As your talking about 5 years i would probably say not. £80 phones today in 2011 are more than likely going to be better than £800 phones from 2006 simply because technology has moved on so much in the last 5 years.
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, i'm not even sure about one that's been out a few months
  • Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    yes, why not??
  • blade_922blade_922 Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still have a 402 lying i think it was similar to the 5110 and also the 702. I also have the 6210 still lying. I wouldnt mind a 3310 again, that was a popular handset
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    If you want a phone that goes on looks alone, and you don't mind it being a few years old, then that's what you should get.

If you want a top of the range, brand new gadget and couldn't care less WHAT it looked like, then that's what you should get.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Last year I bought myself an old Nokia 5140 and I'm perfectly happy with it.

I think my iPhone is great but I'm worried about damaging it in rough environments so having the 5140 to bung my SIM in when I need to is perfect.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mate just got a nokia 3310 from ebay, now that is pretty old. He got it for his wife as her old one is playing up.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Mate just got a nokia 3310 from ebay, now that is pretty old. He got it for his wife as her old one is playing up.

Just how robost is the 3310? My mother still uses hers today!
  • rocketronnie75rocketronnie75 Posts: 400
    Forum Member

I'm still using mine I bought it brand new when it first came out at £149.99
  • nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    My phone's six years old, and still works fine. But then I don't need or care for having a mini-PC on a phone, I just want to use it for calls and texts.

OP, are you just interested in creating a discussion here? If so, good stuff! If not, I wonder why you care about what other people think about your phone when it's the one you really want!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the 3310 and 7250i still in perfect working order! Awesome phones!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's probably well worth buying a second hand classic Nokia just in case your fancy smartphone conks out when you're expecting an important call.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It can last for years, but not when you drop from a height :)

The problem with the 3310 is the ring tones are so loud, which is good if you can't hear that well. A bit embarrassing when i am with them in town and hers rings, everyone looks :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nattoyaki wrote: »
    My phone's six years old, and still works fine. But then I don't need or care for having a mini-PC on a phone, I just want to use it for calls and texts.

OP, are you just interested in creating a discussion here? If so, good stuff! If not, I wonder why you care about what other people think about your phone when it's the one you really want!

Until a few weeks ago I did not think I wanted a computer on a phone, but I do find it useful. the problem with me is I like technology and how ever much I try not to get into somethings I end up doing so.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still have a 3310 for when I'm camping in 'the wild' as the battery lasts for ages compared to my newer phone and you get a signal anywhere.

If I needed a phone and a used one filled my requirements and the price was right I'd go for it.
  • Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had an old Sony Z7 a long time ago that I regret giving away - it was a lovely little handset although very limited. Until last year I was using a Sony Ericsson P990, after having a P800, P900, P910 previously.
    I had always gone for slightly out of date cheaper models.
    Now you can get a HTC Desire free on contract where a year ago they were £150!
  • ChrisJamesSatsChrisJamesSats Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    I'd buy a Nokia 3310 or 3330 again. Brings back so many memories plus it's such a smart looking phone in my opinion. But I know I'd only end up getting addicted to Snake II again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    It would be alot of cheaper and if you like the phone, why not.
  • KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd buy a Nokia 3310 or 3330 again. Brings back so many memories plus it's such a smart looking phone in my opinion. But I know I'd only end up getting addicted to Snake II again.

You can buy mine then- it's not new, obviously, so I'll give you 30% off the price I paid for it. Yours for just £70! :D

Surprised to see more people still using 3310s, thought I was the only one.

I got it in 2001 and the phone/sim-card is so old that when it detected the T-Mobile signal yesterday (after Orange and T-Mobile merged their networks) it reported the under its old name of "One2One". (They renamed it nine years ago now!)