ITV present video game footage as factual archive material (Exposure 26/09)

2»

Comments

• Reiver97Reiver97 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reiver97 wrote: »
    Its also worth noting that riot footage at around 41 mins in that is presented as being recent is in fact from the 1990s.

The RUC grey snatch landrovers give it away. The PSNI use white livery on their landrovers.

It does beg the question of what other footage was faked or misrepresented.

Interestingly only The Guardian so far (at least from the reports I have read) has picked up on this second discrepancy...
    The programme contained a second error when it described footage of riots in Belfast as being from July this year when in fact the clip was six years old.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/sep/27/ira-footage-video-game-itv

It demonstrates serious lack of judgement on the part of the producers. Of course all of this can overlook the fact that not a shred of evidence was actually presented to back up the central claim of the programme, that Gaddafi gave $2 million to dissident republicans at a meeting at a Gaddafi family owned property in Knightsbridge. (Which dissident group? CIRA? RIRA? OnE? Seems an odd omission).

(The bulk of the programme was given over to covering the historic relationship between Gaddafi and the PIRA in the 70s and 80s which is well documented).

The only "source" given was when they stated that British security services "did not deny, nor confirm" their story. Hardly conclusive!

It does leave me wondering whether the film of "dissident republicans" wandering through the woods was actually genuine either? I have not seen that footage anywhere else.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to The Guardian report it was an ITV in-house production with some independent producers (which seems to be a contradiction in terms).Who commissioned this programme and did he/she view it before transmission ?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mad_dude wrote: »
    Main Story on www.dailymail.co.uk BBC Trader could be a Fake ( Source: Twitter) Meanwhile in other news ITV pass off video game footage as attack on British Helicopter by the IRA . IM NOT JOKING
    And on that trader story:

Trader was not a hoaxer, says BBC

And, in comparison to the IRA game footage, that is an inconsequential storm in a teacup. But that's the Wail for you, anything that can be turned into an anti-BBC story is fair game for therm.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    According to The Guardian report it was an ITV in-house production with some independent producers (which seems to be a contradiction in terms).Who commissioned this programme and did he/she view it before transmission ?
    Well those producers got told to sling their hooks! They've been replaced. Glad to see heads roll over this embarrassment. Not a great start for what was meant to be the 21st century version of World in Action.
  • mwardymwardy Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Well those producers got told to sling their hooks! They've been replaced. Glad to see heads roll over this embarrassment. Not a great start for what was meant to be the 21st century version of World in Action.

Have you got a source for that?
  • ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reiver97 wrote: »
    Last night ITV aired a "documentary" called 'Exposure', covering Gaddafi and Libya's support for the IRA during the 70s and 80s.

As part of that prgramme they showed a clip they claimed was actual footage of the IRA shooting down a British Army Lynx helicopter.

This was labelled on screen as "IRA film 1988" (at 28 mins - http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=276162).

The narration over this clip says "With Gaddafi's machine guns, it was now possible to shoot down a helicopter, as the terrorists own footage from 1988 shows"

This "IRA film" was actually taken from a computer game, ARMA 2

This clip to be exact: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJDeipvpjGQ

Excellent spot. Excellent post.
    Ste wrote: »
    The programme has been removed from ITV Player. See the bit here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6r-kNct630

The clip on YouTube has already been removed for some reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    I believe them!

It's an easy mistake to make, anyone could do it.

Now I must email back Prince Bakare of Nigeria who has offered me £1 million for lending him a paltry few thousand! Good times.

If real footage does exist of the helicopter being shot down, what would be ITV's motive for deliberately using video game footage?
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    If real footage does exist of the helicopter being shot down, what would be ITV's motive for deliberately using video game footage?

If they had the real footage why do they even need to have anything to do with the game footage?
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched ITV1 last night thinking I was watching the Valencia v Chelsea match.

Maybe it was actually FIFA 12 footage I was watching though?
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    edit: changed mind!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    If they had the real footage why do they even need to have anything to do with the game footage?

I don't know. I'm certainly not sticking up for ITV.

I'm not taking a side. I'm asking a question.

I'm wondering why they would deliberately use video game footage.

I'm genuinely curious as to what ITV's motives would be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's extremely disturbing that ITV have some anti Gaddafi propaganda at the same time as the establishment is bombing the shit out of his country.*

What are the motives for our mainstream media always broadcasting pro establishment propaganda?

There are countless things they could and should be reporting on.

But no. Our media broadcast propaganda that tries to justify our governments wars on other countries.

It's all well and good to joke about it but it's extremely troubling. And it should be looked at.

We don't have investigative journalism. Certainly not when it comes to questioning / exposing the establishment.

*I'm not saying Gaddafi is a nice guy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's extremely disturbing that ITV have some anti Gaddafi propaganda at the same time as the establishment is bombing the shit out of his country.*

What are the motives for our mainstream media always broadcasting pro establishment propaganda?

There are countless things they could and should be reporting on.

But no. Our media broadcast propaganda that tries to justify our governments wars on other countries.

It's all well and good to joke about it but it's extremely troubling. And it should be looked at.

We don't have investigative journalism. Certainly not when it comes to questioning / exposing the establishment.

*I'm not saying Gaddafi is a nice guy!

This is the type of thing that should be reported on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5_KmB9_fao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG3DkmYRado

It comes to something when videos on YouTube are more investigative and thought provoking than anything on TV.