Options

Privacy/Confidentiality in hospital?

OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why is it ok for doctors on ward rounds to speak to a patient in shared bedded area about their medical details and other private information? :confused: As other patients can hear every word.

And, no, pulling the curtains around doesn't make it soundproof :rolleyes:

Just wondering as the importance of medical confidentiality is the big story of the day. Does the Care Quality Commission have anything to say about this?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Purely based on where I work -

Its quicker and easier basically, for patient and staff alike. Some patients can't leave their bed for example. However a patient can request a private room, for their name to not be displayed on wall charts etc and should be made aware of that. But I have never had anyone request it so far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    Why is it ok for doctors on ward rounds to speak to a patient in shared bedded area about their medical details and other private information? :confused: As other patients can hear every word.

Just wondering as the importance of medical confidentiality is the big story of the day. Does the Care Quality Commission have anything to say about this?

To be honest if you are ill, I suspect it would be the last thing on your mind. Bearing in mind the other paients in the department probably all have similiar conditions anyway, I can not see it causing much of a problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is wrong to presume that patients won't mind. The issue is duty of confidentiality. I imagine it is being broken in every NHS hospitals every day.

One time I accompanied someone who had taken an overdose to A&E and the receptionist demanded "And what is wrong with him?". There was a queue behind who obviously could hear every word. I said "oh he's taken more pills that he should have" :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Purely based on where I work -

Its quicker and easier basically, for patient and staff alike. Some patients can't leave their bed for example. However a patient can request a private room, for their name to not be displayed on wall charts etc and should be made aware of that. But I have never had anyone request it so far.

Single rooms on NHS wards tend to be allocated according to need, not request, such as for infection control or for a dying person. Patients can get shifted out of a room to make way for someone else.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You want complete privacy, go private.

On the rare occasions I've been in hospital I've not given a toss if everyone else knew what was wrong with me given that everyone else was pretty much there for variations of the same thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    You want complete privacy, go private.

On the rare occasions I've been in hospital I've not given a toss if everyone else knew what was wrong with me given that everyone else was pretty much there for variations of the same thing.

Yes but that's beside the point which is that patient confidentiality is supposed to be extremely important for everyone, not just people who go private. I am genuinely puzzled as to why this doesn't extend to within the hospital environment. What if a patient in a neighbouring bed is someone you know? :confused:
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    To be honest if you are ill, I suspect it would be the last thing on your mind. Bearing in mind the other paients in the department probably all have similiar conditions anyway, I can not see it causing much of a problem.

Exactly this, I think people are more preoccupied in getting treatment to be honest and certainly when I was on the labour wards you'd chat about various discomfort etc. Same when my gran was in she had a right old chinwag with her ward mates in the hospital. I think confidentiality isn't really thought about, I have never felt uncomfortable. As long as discretion is used I suppose, I wouldn't want a nurse to shout ' time for a stool sample, ms x!!!!' But then again walking about with a catheter in the maternity ward was not uncomfortable for me in front of people, just uncomfy personally!

Everyone is different, but I really am not bothered if someone overhears. Different if the docs were showing my paper notes willy nilly to passers by, that's crossing the line :)
  • Options
    harry hamsterharry hamster Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but that's beside the point which is that patient confidentiality is supposed to be extremely important for everyone, not just people who go private. I am genuinely puzzled as to why this doesn't extend to within the hospital environment. What if a patient in a neighbouring bed is someone you know? :confused:

You could always request the medical staff whisper when discussing your case.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree it is an issue, bearing in mind the emphasis on patient confidentiality these days.

In my experience, handovers can be done either at the end of patient beds on in the office. Different wards/hospitals have different preferences. I have always thought the office option was preferable for patient confidentiality.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Most goverment and councils departments are the same, like job centres they all seem to have more of open plan rooms, were people can hear everything you say
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last time I was in hospital, I was on abed with a curtain and the nurses and NAs spoke to me there, but the Dr called me in to a small room to sit and talk condition. It was an ok situation, fine for confidentiality but not perfect as I had to carry a cardboard sick bucket with me, which I barfed in in the corridor on route to the little room-nice, not my most dignified moment.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Single rooms on NHS wards tend to be allocated according to need, not request, such as for infection control or for a dying person. Patients can get shifted out of a room to make way for someone else.

So what's the solution in shared wards if patients can't get out of bed?

I agree it's not ideal, but it's a bit difficult for hospitals to function without at least some basic breaches of confidentiality (such as the very fact that you're seen going into hospital or visiting a particular department).
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Last time I was in hospital I had to ask the doctors and nurses to stop shouting when they talked to me. My hearing is very sensitive. I guess they're used to talking to patients who are partially deaf or something.
  • Options
    incy wincyincy wincy Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    So what's the solution in shared wards if patients can't get out of bed?

I agree it's not ideal, but it's a bit difficult for hospitals to function without at least some basic breaches of confidentiality (such as the very fact that you're seen going into hospital or visiting a particular department).

I always think that about the STI clinic. In my hospital, the Sexual Health Clinic is right around the corner from Main Reception. You have to walk past the entrance to it to get to practically every other part of the hospital. You can't see the waiting room from the corridor but you can see people going in and out.

I know STIs shouldn't always be something shameful and some people go just to get checked over periodically, but still, it's a rather sensitive issue!
  • Options
    RowieboyRowieboy Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One time in hospital about 30 years ago the staff all came in on the "grand round" in the morning.. The consultant spoke as if i wasn't there. He was NOT best pleased after the staff nurse had been asked what drugs i'd been given and didn't have an answer. I piped up and told them what i'd been given and how much. Just loved the doctor's face! The students didn't know where to look.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    incy wincy wrote: »
    I always think that about the STI clinic. In my hospital, the Sexual Health Clinic is right around the corner from Main Reception. You have to walk past the entrance to it to get to practically every other part of the hospital. You can't see the waiting room from the corridor but you can see people going in and out.

I know STIs shouldn't always be something shameful and some people go just to get checked over periodically, but still, it's a rather sensitive issue!

I've never been to a sexual health clinic, but i believe they anonymise and call you by a number, "Patient 1234 next, please" rather than "Joe Bloggs next, please" :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    In my experience you hear little if anything. Its not as if the shout out the information - I think if you make it clear you want more privacy they'd sort something out, but most people aren't that bothered.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    I find the reception areas in A&E's very open and unprivate. The receptionist shouts "What is the problem, why are you here?" With the entire queue and waiting room listening in.