Options

If you landed in 1930s London how would you do?

Comments

• Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    Errrm, Stalin did take over half of Europe, as a direct result of Hitler's rise and fall.

Stalin wasn't in a position to invade anywhere. His purges nearly cost him his country when Hitler invaded.

Rubbish. He would have increased his industry anyway. He was expansionist. It would have taken longer.
    It's all surmise anyway but I always find the kill Hitler time travel story laughable. Simplistic, trite and with little understanding of the situation in Germany and Europe at the time. The '30's would be too late anyway.
  • Options
    Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Rubbish. He would have increased his industry anyway. He was expansionist. It would have taken longer.
    It's all surmise anyway but I always find the kill Hitler time travel story laughable. Simplistic, trite and with little understanding of the situation in Germany and Europe at the time. The '30's would be too late anyway.
    You guys are a barrel of laughs eh, cheer up for gods sake boys !
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JDBaby wrote: »
    I'd stick out line a sore thumb, long haired bloke, jeans and TShirt, but with a bit of forewarning put on a flatcap & charity shop suit I think I'd get away with it.

Actually being a Londoner I do enjoy watching YouTube footage on old London, always thought it would be great just to be able to walk the streets from a different decade between say the 20's to 70's (would give the 40's a miss though!), especially places I know and lived.

Oh well, one can but dream.

On a slightly greedy note maybe buy a couple of 'slum' houses in Notting Hill whilst I'm there!
    Isn't there a street somewhere (not in London - think it's Manchester) where there's a myth that some people who walk down it end up in the past and once they reach the end of the street, they're back in the present day again?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    You guys are a barrel of laughs eh, cheer up for gods sake boys !

Perfectly perky here.
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    Isn't there a street somewhere (not in London - think it's Manchester) where there's a myth that some people who walk down it end up in the past and once they reach the end of the street, they're back in the present day again?
    You're on about Bold Street in Liverpool (where I'm from). I've walked up and down that street hundreds of times and not once has it happened to me. Having said that, in Collquit Street nearby there's been reports of a spectral psychopathic midget in a tuxedo and top hat attacking women (that was apparently a spirit that had been disturbed by work being started on the Liverpool One complex, according to a psychic) so there must be something to it all that isn't related to all the bars and pubs in the area.

ETA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bold_Street,_Liverpool - mentioned there.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not rubbish at all. Stalin was far more concerned with the enemy within and strengthening the USSR. Expanding the revolution to the rest of the World was low on his agenda. He gained an empire by accident, rather like Britain did.

As you say, Hitler was not the only one responsible so knocking him off would have resulted in Hess or Goering taking over. Just as killing Lenin didn't stop the Russian revolution.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So long as people thought you had money or were upper-class you'd get away with any shenannigans you fancy - see the Bloomsbury Group, Noel Coward and the novels of PG Woodehouse for examples;-)
    It was just the hoi-polloi who had to toe the line, don'tcha know?:cool:
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been reading some old books recently, "The Yellow King" by Robert W. Chambers most recently after it was mentioned on True Detective, and I was struck by how modern the prose was. Well, not modern, but how legible it was. I'm not sure I know the exact term.

I've read Shakespeare and appreciate it's lyrical quality and the word play, but it's removed from what I would consider conversational.

Anyway, it got me thinking. How do you think you'd fit in if a wormhole opened under you and dumped you in 1931, would you be able to hold a conversation without the locals calling the asylum to lock you up?

Yes - as long as I realised what had happened, I'm sure I could adapt fairly quickly. Although inevitably, inconsistencies would show up on anything other than a casual and short conversation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not rubbish at all. Stalin was far more concerned with the enemy within and strengthening the USSR. Expanding the revolution to the rest of the World was low on his agenda. He gained an empire by accident, rather like Britain did.

As you say, Hitler was not the only one responsible so knocking him off would have resulted in Hess or Goering taking over. Just as killing Lenin didn't stop the Russian revolution.

Goering or Heydrich would be up there certainly, perhaps Hess might not have been quite so bad. Although probably broadly similar results. Nazi Germany had many causes, in some ways Hitler was a conduit rather than a direct cause.
    In the '30's expansionist ideas were not in Stalin's interests, I did caveat my statement with it would take longer. During which time the Western powers would have sat idle while he rearmed throughout the '50's as there would be no direct need to progress as fast as during the war years. Ultimately I feel he would have headed West. (If Adolf was killed Putsch era or pre Landsberg). Although it's all interesting speculation. I do like a good alternate history book!
  • Options
    Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goering or Heydrich would be up there certainly, perhaps Hess might not have been quite so bad. Although probably broadly similar results. Nazi Germany had many causes, in some ways Hitler was a conduit rather than a direct cause.
    In the '30's expansionist ideas were not in Stalin's interests, I did caveat my statement with it would take longer. During which time the Western powers would have sat idle while he rearmed throughout the '50's as there would be no direct need to progress as fast as during the war years. Ultimately I feel he would have headed West. (If Adolf was killed Putsch era or pre Landsberg). Although it's all interesting speculation. I do like a good alternate history book!
    I disagree, could you elaborate ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be so sure, Hess was just as dangerous.
    Stalin died in 1953, so that doesn't give him so much time to do all that. Anyway there's no evidence he intended to invade Europe. Support revolutions in Europe if they arose, certainly.

We'll never know for sure, but the what-ifs of any such time traveller meddling are interesting.

If time travel was possible, people in the future would already have tried to come back and change history. They haven't succeeded in doing so, so it can't be possible. Either that or it is possible but the influence time travellers can have is so small as to be negligible. There were after all people alive in 1930 who knew full well how dangerous Hitler was and weren't able to kill him.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iqoniq wrote: »
    You're on about Bold Street in Liverpool (where I'm from). I've walked up and down that street hundreds of times and not once has it happened to me. Having said that, in Collquit Street nearby there's been reports of a spectral psychopathic midget in a tuxedo and top hat attacking women (that was apparently a spirit that had been disturbed by work being started on the Liverpool One complex, according to a psychic) so there must be something to it all that isn't related to all the bars and pubs in the area.

ETA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bold_Street,_Liverpool - mentioned there.

I've SO got to give that a go sometime.

One day, I'll be on that street with my bowtie! :D
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    So long as people thought you had money or were upper-class you'd get away with any shenannigans you fancy - see the Bloomsbury Group, Noel Coward and the novels of PG Woodehouse for examples;-)
    It was just the hoi-polloi who had to toe the line, don'tcha know?:cool:

Nothings changed much then.

I think I'd be OK as long as I could remember some sporting results to gamble on.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd wonder why I was landing in Croydon.
  • Options
    trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    It would be interesting to visit 1936 when the abdication crisis hit the headlines - see what the man on the streets view of Mrs Simpson was.^_^

they would think that metre long blue perm was a bit outrageous :)
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hang on, its all very well being dumped back in the 30's, but where would your money come from unless you had access to the coinage of the time?.
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    Hang on, its all very well being dumped back in the 30's, but where would your money come from unless you had access to the coinage of the time?.

gold sovereigns dontcha know
    if you have any pearls (for clutching purposes) you could hock them too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    And if all else fails there's always prostitution. :blush:;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »

1. Gold sovereigns still have a date on them, so any merchant would be nuts to take them unless they were of the period.

2. I take it you carry pearls around with you, but afraid they have never caught on with males so I have none to clutch....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And if all else fails there's always prostitution. :blush:;-)

Bugger!.

That's me starving then, as not even a drunk sailor off a 3 day bender would fancy my flabby gut.....:(
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    1. Gold sovereigns still have a date on them, so any merchant would be nuts to take them unless they were of the period.

2. I take it you carry pearls around with you, but afraid they have never caught on with males so I have none to clutch....

1. well i'd assume you'd have checked the date, basic error if you didn't...... really haven't you done any research on time travel?
    2. mea culpa thought you were a lady :blush: i do apologise perhaps you could pawn a lovely fob watch or hip flask then?

or take some 1920s money with you....
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    Ah okay I'm in my 40s. Both my grandma and mum had children quite late for their time. Grandma was about 25 when she had her first baby which was incredibly late for someone from her socioeconomic background (very working class, left school at 10 to go into service).

i just looked on my tree, my paternal grandmother was born in 1905 and she was 29 when she had my father.

that side were upper working to middle and i recently discovered that she was three months pregnant with another man`s child when she married my [wonderful] grandpa and he was disowned by his family and kicked out of the plymouth brethren for marrying her.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As long as they had the heads of the (then) current monarch or the one's preceding him, on them, sovereigns would be great to take back in time with you.
  • Options
    grah2702grah2702 Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would do fine at least everybody would speak and understand English not like now when ...............
    Keep rest of my comments to myself as the DS mods (censor's)would not like it.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I think the hardest part would be getting used to everything being in black and white :)