Ray Winstone

13»

Comments

• Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Surely if he were a great actor, he could play any part? Your "would" suggests he only ever plays one stereotype ... Oh, hang on, he does.

Can you actually make out what he's saying these days? I watched a few things he was in, and I couldn't make out a word.

I tried watching "Nil by Mouth" because I'm a fan of Kathy Burke, but gave up after a few minutes. It seemed to be filmed in total darkness.

I agree. I'm not denying Winston isn't a decent actor. However he plays the same character time and time again as does Johnny Depp.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    I am surprised Ray Winstone has never done EastEnders, has he ever been approached? Watching him in The Trials of Jimmy Rose and other stuff he is made for Albert Square.

The salary Ray Winstone commands would be more than EE could afford, and would put Phil Mitchell out of a job
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am surprised Ray Winstone has never done EastEnders, has he ever been approached? Watching him in The Trials of Jimmy Rose and other stuff he is made for Albert Square.

Apart from being a big earner.it would mean Phil Mitchell getting his marching orders
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,316
    Forum Member
    The question is though Scrabbler would you allow Cora to wash your dirty undies!

I have my own washing machine so that will never be an issue :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    The salary Ray Winstone commands would be more than EE could afford, and would put Phil Mitchell out of a job

It would probably put the entire cast out of a job :p
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. I'm not denying Winston isn't a decent actor. However he plays the same character time and time again as does Johnny Depp.

He does but there are ways a typecasted actor can play the same type of characters but still give a different with a change of depth and range to a performance. I don't know who else agrees but Maggie Smith does this. She always plays upper class posh snobs, but yet she digs deeper and always turns the characters around. From the outside, her characters are the same. But on the inside, she plays each of them so differently.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,316
    Forum Member
    He does but there are ways a typecasted actor can play the same type of characters but still give a different with a change of depth and range to a performance. I don't know who else agrees but Maggie Smith does this. She always plays upper class posh snobs, but yet she digs deeper and always turns the characters around. From the outside, her characters are the same. But on the inside, she plays each of them so differently.

Great observation. An actor does have to rely on their looks, that limits the roles that they can play.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kathy Burke no longer acts.

She does for me - I have the G.G.G. box set.

I've seen Maggie Smith in a few films where she's played working class characters, and she does it superbly. I don't think you can compare Ray W and Maggie S.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    She does for me - I have the G.G.G. box set.

I've seen Maggie Smith in a few films where she's played working class characters, and she does it superbly. I don't think you can compare Ray W and Maggie S.

I haven't and you have missed the absolute point of my post. I knew it wouldn't be long until I had someone breathing down my neck and accusing me of comparing them.

I won't be explaining further because i simply made it clear the first time.
  • Options
    Marsh.Marsh. Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Johnny Depp plays a lot of eccentric roles but to say they're all the same character is just flat out wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

So true little monster. I do agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Marsh. wrote: »
    Johnny Depp plays a lot of eccentric roles but to say they're all the same character is just flat out wrong.

So jack sparrow isn't practically the same as willy wonka then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So jack sparrow isn't practically the same as willy wonka then

No, in fact I don't think you could have picked two of his characters that are anymore different. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, in fact I don't think you could have picked two of his characters that are anymore different. :D

The characters are supposed to be different but he plays them exactly the same imo

I much prefer his earlier roles like Ed wood
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The characters are supposed to be different but he plays them exactly the same imo

I much prefer his earlier roles like Ed wood

I was referring to the way he plays them.

Their body language, mannerisms, even the voice he uses for those two characters couldn't be further apart.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Does anyone remember Buster mentioning a rival called Reggie? I could see Ray as a Reggie. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was referring to the way he plays them.

Their body language, mannerisms, even the voice he uses for those two characters couldn't be further apart.

I don't agree with you. I thought he was fantastic in public enemy. He's very good I just wish he would do a wider range of roles. I'm excited about him as whitey bolger.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    Apart from being a big earner.it would mean Phil Mitchell getting his marching orders

Nah.

If Ray, Terence Stamp, Peter Mullan, Tom Hardy and Cillian Murphy all came into the show as the bosses of various massive criminal firms TPTB would have the Philth owning them all with one hand tied behind his back.

Ray should steer well clear.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Nah.

If Ray, Terence Stamp, Peter Mullan, Tom Hardy and Cillian Murphy all came into the show as the bosses of various massive criminal firms TPTB would have the Philth owning them all with one hand tied behind his back.

Unfortunately this would happen I agree. If Ray Winstone ended up as a character written like Derek Branning and also got pushed around by Phil can you imagine? :o Phil would have to be killed off or sent down for life if Ray Winstone played a criminal or a hard nosed cop. Maybe you should go to BBC Elstree with a placard with Phil Mitchell on it with a red "banned" symbol across his face and chant "Mitchell Mitchell Mitchell Out! Out! Out!" I'd join you ;-)
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    Unfortunately this would happen I agree. If Ray Winstone ended up as a character written like Derek Branning and also got pushed around by Phil can you imagine? :o Phil would have to be killed off or sent down for life if Ray Winstone played a criminal or a hard nosed cop. Maybe you should go to BBC Elstree with a placard with Phil Mitchell on it with a red "banned" symbol across his face and chant "Mitchell Mitchell Mitchell Out! Out! Out!" I'd join you ;-)

:D

Sadly no matter what new hardcase, psychopath, gangster or career criminal enters the show they are inevitably owned by the Philth within two minutes flat.

It is so boring and utterly predictable you can set your watch by it.

I remember the laughable scenes of him threatening Lucas - a bloody stone cold killer.

The more the years roll by the more preposterous it gets - but TPTB just cannot see that by doing this there will never be a credible villain in the square again. :(
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...................If Ray, Terence Stamp, Peter Mullan, Tom Hardy and Cillian Murphy all came into the show as the bosses of various massive criminal firms TPTB would have the Philth owning them all with one hand tied behind his back. ....................

Sadly no matter what new hardcase, psychopath, gangster or career criminal enters the show they are inevitably owned by the Philth within two minutes flat.I..............

In my opinion, the actor who plays him (badly) knows where some body parts have been buried.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Nah.

I wouldn't be surprised actually!
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Showing my age, but I remember him in Robin of Sherwood, playing Will Scarlett, alongside Michael Praed and Clive Mantle. I guess that was the first big job for him.

I loved Robin of Sherwood:)

Me too, I loved him as Will Scarlett :)

I think he would have been excellant as Gavin, Kathy's husband. Paul Nicholas does not strike me as scary enough (apart from his wig) whereas you could see RW taking on Philth and scaring the bejaysus out of him :D