It's a funny old game.
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Aren't they both dead?
  • Andy RimmerAndy Rimmer Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't they both dead?

Unless Saint has passed away in the past three hours he's alive and well. Was match summariser on the Liverpool game for Radio City Liverpool tonight. Still on good form. He does a weekly Saturday "Terrace Talk" show for them with Ian Snodin.
  • pembo2004pembo2004 Posts: 4,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ah memories
    saturday lunch times about one pm
    i loved this
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pembo2004 wrote: »
    ah memories
    saturday lunch times about one pm
    i loved this

I met Greavsie a long time ago, a very funny bloke, had this wonderful banter about the "chilly jocks"
  • LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never used to miss an episode of this. Greavsie gave me my first and only National winner in 1992 when he looked into the camera and told us all to back Party Politics or else! So I did and hey presto!

Bless them. Dunno why it was taken off air. Almost as good as Soccer Saturday
  • jarwynjarwyn Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loon wrote: »

Wasn't it because of Greavsie's "alleged" drinking?
  • Phoenix04Phoenix04 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to watch Saint & Greavsie all the time. I remember winning a Northern Ireland kit in one of their competitions just before the 86 World Cup.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,596
    Forum Member
    Loon wrote: »
    Never used to miss an episode of this. Greavsie gave me my first and only National winner in 1992 when he looked into the camera and told us all to back Party Politics or else! So I did and hey presto!

I think the reason Saint & Greavsie ended, may have been due to ITV not winning the Premier League rights. S&G finished at the end of the 91/92 season.
  • jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Oh god, don't bring them back. They were dreadful. I absolutely loathed that programme. Greaves' comments about the Jocks.:rolleyes: Give me Bob Wilson any day over those two.

One of the best things about Sky gaining the rights to the Premier League was less Saint and Greavsie.

Didt they soldier on for another season when ITV broadcast the Championship during '92-'93? Or the Endsleigh league or whatever it was called.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    jarwyn wrote: »
    Wasn't it because of Greavsie's "alleged" drinking?

There was nothing alledged about Jimmy's drinking, he was an alcoholic from his playing days - he's completely open about it, but he was sober by the time Saint and Greavies went out, been sober 30 odd years now.
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aren't they both dead?
    Unless Saint has passed away in the past three hours he's alive and well. Was match summariser on the Liverpool game for Radio City Liverpool tonight. Still on good form. He does a weekly Saturday "Terrace Talk" show for them with Ian Snodin.

What about Greavsie ? - do you know what he's up to these days ?
  • Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    What about Greavsie ? - do you know what he's up to these days ?

I think he's pretty much been retired for a while now, he's 70 years old now.
  • jarwynjarwyn Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was nothing alledged about Jimmy's drinking, he was an alcoholic from his playing days - he's completely open about it, but he was sober by the time Saint and Greavies went out, been sober 30 odd years now.

Oh Right, I knew he was an alcoholic - just didn't want to say it that way in case it was 'Libelous'. Didn't know he'd been sober 30 years though ... good on him.

He was a pretty good player, but never recovered from being dropped by Alf for the final ... that's what I heard anyway but I've not read his autobiography or anything.
  • able1able1 Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jarwyn wrote: »
    Oh Right, I knew he was an alcoholic - just didn't want to say it that way in case it was 'Libelous'. Didn't know he'd been sober 30 years though ... good on him.

He was a pretty good player, but never recovered from being dropped by Alf for the final ... that's what I heard anyway but I've not read his autobiography or anything.

Pretty good player?

Greaves scored 357 in 516 appearances - the record career top flight goals, and all in 14 seasons.

Greaves was magnificent.

An unbeatable record although Rooney may come close (148/357) if his next eight years continue as his first eight, albeit over a longer timespan.

Televised black and white football of the sixties will always be the peerless Greavsie breaking from the halfway line, skinning each and every defender and passing it into the net with consumate ease.

Thanks Greavsie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was talk a few months ago that Greavsie plans to report on the World Cup in South Africa
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    able1 wrote: »
    Pretty good player?

Greaves scored 357 in 516 appearances - the record career top flight goals, and all in 14 seasons.

Greaves was magnificent.

An unbeatable record although Rooney may come close (148/357) if his next eight years continue as his first eight, albeit over a longer timespan.

Televised black and white football of the sixties will always be the peerless Greavsie breaking from the halfway line, skinning each and every defender and passing it into the net with consumate ease.

Thanks Greavsie.

Was that the amazing goal he scored in a 6-2 win against Leicester City in 64/5? Picked it up on the halfway line, lead the likes of Colin Appleton and John Sjoberg a merry dance and slotted it into an empty net after rounding Gordon Banks. I was there. Oh yes..I was there!

Yes, he was amazing. Effortlessly converting chance after chance.

But he wasn't one of those who these days are praised for 'putting in a shift' Hard graft, Rooney-style was not his thing. But I remember one commentator observing how he would do nothing for most of the game but in the last 10 minutes, be in the right place at the right time, score a brace and another Spurs win would be confirmed.

I used to like his deadpan humour. I remember him commenting one August on the early season games when the players had to play in summer conditions, in response to a Saint prompt...

'Yeah right Saint. The start of the season. I used to dread it. Your heart would be pumping. Your lungs bursting, the sweat streaming down your face.....and that was just walking down the tunnel'

His books are very interesting for anyone who hasn't read them.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    No one's mentioned that S and G returned for a one off special on Setanta last season on FA Cup Final day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember this was marketed as a general sports news show. It didn't take long to become just football. :mad:
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I remember this was marketed as a general sports news show. It didn't take long to become just football. :mad:

Didn't the programme evolve from a regular segment they had on World of Sport and was always just about football :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it was called On the Ball when it was still part of World of Sport
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the reason Saint & Greavsie ended, may have been due to ITV not winning the Premier League rights. S&G finished at the end of the 91/92 season.

Apparently they did one season covering the Endsleigh League (for which Baddiel and Skinner took the p*ss out of), but it had certainately finished by 1993.

Talking about Soccer Saturday, couldn't help but notice that alongside Jeff Stelling at the PFA Awards the other night, Rooney's trophy was presented to him by Greavsie. Although it made think what it would be like if you had Saint and Greasvie on Soccer Saturday, but I guess it wouldn't work, both are funny but they are different shows really.

Shame we're near the end of the season :( I'll miss Soccer Saturday during the Summer months.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No they never did an Endsleigh League version, it ended after Euro 92. When they were on World of Sport it was a bit more serious than what it became. They launched as S&G in the middle of the 1985/86 TV dispute so had little or no action to show. One memorable moment was Martin Tyler walking around London with Frank McAvennie who at the time was banging them in for West Ham, more people recognised Tyler than Frank
  • able1able1 Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    Was that the amazing goal he scored in a 6-2 win against Leicester City in 64/5? Picked it up on the halfway line, lead the likes of Colin Appleton and John Sjoberg a merry dance and slotted it into an empty net after rounding Gordon Banks. I was there. Oh yes..I was there!

Yes, he was amazing. Effortlessly converting chance after chance.

But he wasn't one of those who these days are praised for 'putting in a shift' Hard graft, Rooney-style was not his thing. But I remember one commentator observing how he would do nothing for most of the game but in the last 10 minutes, be in the right place at the right time, score a brace and another Spurs win would be confirmed.

I used to like his deadpan humour. I remember him commenting one August on the early season games when the players had to play in summer conditions, in response to a Saint prompt...

'Yeah right Saint. The start of the season. I used to dread it. Your heart would be pumping. Your lungs bursting, the sweat streaming down your face.....and that was just walking down the tunnel'

His books are very interesting for anyone who hasn't read them.

Greaves was either a goalhanger or a master poacher depending on your stance, but there was a whole lot more to him than that.

100 goals by the age of 20 and 200 by 23, last international at 27, and out of top class football at 31 - it wouldn't happen now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jYTLfukNUg

55 seconds in, trademark goal, unstoppable in his pomp.

Look out for one Norbert Stiles making a late challenge at the start of the move.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Greavsie also made quite a good dog catcher, even if he did end up getting covered in pee :)