Ebbw Vale - what a coincidence!

suki csuki c Posts: 6,083
Forum Member
I've just finished tagging a photo for facebook from 1973 of a family birthday party in Ebbw Vale - at the same time OH is watching a Welsh comedian (Rhod Gilbert ?) on C4 who has also just mentioned Ebbw Vale :eek:

How often do you ever hear the words 'Ebbw Vale' mentioned in a normal day - unless you live somewhere near of course!!

What similar coincidences have you experienced? :)

Comments

• edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dierdre Chambers.
  • suki csuki c Posts: 6,083
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    Dierdre Chambers.

Oh God - another coincidence! ........ What's going on :eek:
  • draig gochdraig goch Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone I knew from Tredegar (close to Ebbw Vale !) was in New York a few years ago wearing a Wales rugby shirt and was approached by a guy with an Australian accent. The Australian asked him where in Wales he was from.

"A little town called Tredegar"

"Good God, is the Tredegar Arms still open ?"

It turned out the "Australian" had emigrated from Tredegar 30 years before :eek:

Also, I'm a season ticket holder at the Cardiff Devils ice hockey club.

I went to watch a hockey game while in New Jersey, and ended up queueing for the bar behind the guy who sits in the seats behind me in Cardiff :D

I don't know who was more surprised !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, hearing "Ebbw Vale" twice in one day wouldn't be unusual but I love it when things like that happen. :D
    Forum Member
    well - coincidently ;) my Aunty lived at the top end of Ebbw Vale and during the aforementioned party a cousin & myself had a little too much to drink & decided it would be a good idea to walk over the mountain top to Tredegar (we were found staggering around a field full of sheep just off the roadside a couple of hours later by her husband :o )

I have walked from Ebbw Vale to Tredegar in my younger days mind you :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suki c wrote: »
    well - coincidently ;) my Aunty lived at the top end of Ebbw Vale and during the aforementioned party a cousin & myself had a little too much to drink & decided to walk over the mountain top to Tredegar (we were found staggering around a field full of sheep just off the roadside a couple of hours later by her husband :o )

I have walked from Ebbw Vale to Tredegar in my younger days mind you :)

A mate of mine decided to do that after a drunken argument with someone at his sister's birthday party.

He woke up in the bushes at the roadside at about 5am the following morning, bleeding and covered in scratches, wondering what the hell he was doing there...
    Forum Member
    draig goch wrote: »
    A mate of mine decided to do that after a drunken argument with someone at his sister's birthday party.

He woke up in the bushes at the roadside at about 5am the following morning, bleeding and covered in scratches, wondering what the hell he was doing there...

We felt very sheepish - hah :D - when we were found as we were both also covered in scratches - I fell down a ditch & my cousin just fell over! We were both 'respectable' school teachers at the time - I blame the the mountain altitude :eek:
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember some yoghurts that came from Ebbw Vale !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    How do you pronounce Ebbw?
  • manics2003manics2003 Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you pronounce Ebbw?

ebb-bow :)
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only ever had a couple that have stopped me in my tracks.

First one was about 20 years ago. My cousin was over visiting from Canada and we'd been in the town shopping and were standing at a bus stop waiting for a bus home chatting away. Guy overhears us and asks my cousin if he is from Canada and it goes from there. Turns out the guys relatives lived 4 doors up from my cousin in Gold River on Vancouver Island.

Second one was earlier this year. My family isn't close at all on my dads side so I've got cousins on that side I've only seen a couple times since my folks moved to Aberdeen about 25 years ago. Last year I was sharing a flat with a girl who was from the same town as I knew a couple of my cousins lived in the last time we were in contact so I asked her if she knew them but she said no so I thought that was the end of it. After visiting her, she moved back down there, and going out with her and her pals a couple of them added me on FB and being a nosey sod I went through their friends list and up popped my cousins name. I speak to my friend saying "xxx is pals with my cousin, are you sure you don't know him?" She has a look at the profile and recognises him straight away, she only knew him by his nickname so didn't recognise the name. Turns out her cousin is best friends with my cousin!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    Dierdre Chambers.
    :mad:
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :mad:
    PMSL :D
  • alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum used to go dancing in Ebbw Vale.
    Forum Member
    alsmama wrote: »
    My mum used to go dancing in Ebbw Vale.

Well - there's a coincidence! My uncle worked in the steelworks - maybe he danced with your mum ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well - there's a coincidence! My uncle worked in the steelworks - maybe he danced with your mum ;)

Maybe! She certainly danced with Neil Kinnock back then which has led to many a family joke about my parentage!
    Forum Member
    Maybe! She certainly danced with Neil Kinnock back then which has led to many a family joke about my parentage!

Have you got ginger hair then :D
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume you are a 'ginger top' person then.

You do not have to answer the above if you feel it may incriminate your mother.
    :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you got ginger hair then :D
    I assume you are a 'ginger top' person then.

You do not have to answer the above if you feel it may incriminate your mother.
    :D

Haha nope I'm not!
  • Dan100Dan100 Posts: 2,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before coming here today I was reading something about Ebbw Vale!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan100 wrote: »
    Before coming here today I was reading something about Ebbw Vale!

Well going by this thread everyone has an Ebbw Vale connection somewhere!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    I remember some yoghurts that came from Ebbw Vale !

You sure that wasn't Eden Vale ? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lived in Ebbw Vale until I was 35 and I never see it mentioned anywhere so it was a bit of a shock to see this thread!
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    digami wrote: »
    For me, hearing "Ebbw Vale" twice in one day wouldn't be unusual but I love it when things like that happen. :D

Same. :D

I can remember texting a friend once asking how her day had been and about a second later she text me pretty much the same thing, nearly word for word. :eek: