Examples of 'Bigged Up' British Artists That Have Flopped!!

Scoobyh1Scoobyh1 Posts: 2,131
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey,

Has anyone got any examples of bigged up British Artists that have flopped?

Well the one at the top of my mind has to be Duffy, successful first album, but was clearly going to be a one hit wonder. Played to death on the radio, especially Radio 1, Capital and Heart and now her sophomore album has flopped.

To me, that was a big F**K u to the radio for bigging her up so much as well as other artists.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are loads of examples, especially from England...

Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong (hahahaha this is like a byword for media hype then failure)

The Courteeners

The Enemy

The Horrors (until they changed musical direction)

The entire nu-rave 'movement'

The romo 'movement'

The New Wave of New Wave 'movement'

Most 'movements' cynically created by and artists bigged up by the English press to sell magazines since 1985

There are a lot of American popstars from the 2000s that failed to deliver massive superstardom and have became more and more desperate, like Ciara, Keri Hilson etc.

Most male X-Factor artists
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little Boots perhaps? If you look at the people she beat to become Sound of 2009 (Lady Gaga, La Roux, Florence and the Machine, Mumford and Sons etc) she's one of the lowest selling artists on the list. Her debut single missed the top ten and her third single reached #84 (despite both being A-listed by Radio 1), and her album was only certified gold. Remedy was the only real success she had, and that was probably thanks more to RedOne.

Just for the record though, I do actually love Little Boots...

Oh and who could forget Speech Debelle? She only sold about 10,000 copies of her album after winning the Mercury Music Prize, and it peaked at #65. Then she was dropped by her record label. And then there was the whole Take That/karaoke embarassment.
  • DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little Boots is a pretty good recent example.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kryskrys wrote: »

Oh and who could forget Speech Debelle? She only sold about 10,000 copies of her album after winning the Mercury Music Prize, and it peaked at #65. Then she was dropped by her record label. And then there was the whole Take That/karaoke embarassment.

I think the sad thing about that is that it only takes sales of 10,000 copies to get to number 65 in the charts!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xe2a2 wrote: »
    There are loads of examples, especially from England...

Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong (hahahaha this is like a byword for media hype then failure)

The Courteeners

The Enemy

The entire nu-rave 'movement'

Hardly say Joe Lean flopped. It depends how you define flopped of course, but in the circles I believe Joe Lean wanted to reach, they were very successful.

I'm not a fan of The Courteeners any more to be fair, but in no way whatsoever they have flopped. I saw them in Feb 2008 in a venue of 500 people, and on their last tour, they sold out M.E.N arena. They've also played notable slots at Glastonbury, Reading and V and had two records in the top ten.

In the words of Zane Lowe, I'm not a fan of The Enemy, but I respect what they do. Ther debut record sold a lot and was very successful. I don't think you'd call that flopping.

And as for nu-rave, Klaxons?
  • SmiirkySmiirky Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ben_122 wrote: »
    Hardly say Joe Lean flopped. It depends how you define flopped of course, but in the circles I believe Joe Lean wanted to reach, they were very successful.

I'm not a fan of The Courteeners any more to be fair, but in no way whatsoever they have flopped. I saw them in Feb 2008 in a venue of 500 people, and on their last tour, they sold out M.E.N arena. They've also played notable slots at Glastonbury, Reading and V and had two records in the top ten.

In the words of Zane Lowe, I'm not a fan of The Enemy, but I respect what they do. Ther debut record sold a lot and was very successful. I don't think you'd call that flopping.

Yeah I prefer the old Klaxons stuff, before they became really big..I haven't heard much from them in a while though.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Little Boots, Joss Stone, Laura Izibor,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diana Vickers
  • AliBaba2010AliBaba2010 Posts: 4,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Black and Frankmusik...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    I'm not a Diana Vickers fan at all, but hasn't she actually done quite well?
  • DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkle_18 wrote: »
    Not really. Poor sales.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not realy, her album has sold quite poorly.

Edit: Jink!
  • AliBaba2010AliBaba2010 Posts: 4,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BP4L wrote: »
    Not realy, her album has sold quite poorly.

I thought her album went to number 1...... Did it drop drastically in the charts the following week or something?
    Forum Member
    Oh right. Don't really take much of an interest in album sales tbh, not for artists I don't like. She got a no.1 though right? Gah I'm getting confused, maybe it wasn't her :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe the band itself fulfilled those expectations (although I find that kind of spurious considering they didn't even release an album and got dropped), but I meant in terms of media hype relative to actual success, since the OP mentioned radio stations overplaying Duffy without any kind of justification for it and so on. I doubt a lot of the other acts mentioned here seriously care that much about tons and tons of sales either, more about creating art (their record companies probably feel differently though).

Fair enough, but in comparison to the media trash hailing them as the new Oasis and Stone Roses, that just did not happen. Again, I don't think the band itself were expecting anything like that, but the media tended to go into epileptic fits over them around 2007.

Yeah, you're right there. I'll give you that one.

Klaxons are relatively successful but I don't even think they consider themselves nu-rave and they seem to have completely ditched the image now. All of the other British acts basically failed and the remnants were swept away by female electropoppers and grime artists who absorbed some aspects of the trend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought her album went to number 1...... Did it drop drastically in the charts the following week or something?

It did go to #1 but yeah just sold really poorly. Think it fell down the charts quickly I'm not sure, but with the sales I wouldn't be surprised.
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the sad thing about that is that it only takes sales of 10,000 copies to get to number 65 in the charts!

Even less than 10,000 copies, seeing as that was the grand total of sales two months after winning the Mercury, and 3,000 of those were sold before she'd won. So unless I've misunderstood the figures, I'm guessing she only sold about 3 or 4k at the most to reach #65 :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    Yeah Diana Vicker's is a good example. Number 1 album & single (it was a quiet week probs) and then falling like a rock later on. The album has only sold like 150k + ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LoveBug. wrote: »
    Yeah Diana Vicker's is a good example. Number 1 album & single (it was a quiet week probs) and then falling like a rock later on. Only sold like 100k + ?

130,000 last time I checked. Other X-Factor acts have been dropped for selling more than that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dizagaox wrote: »
    Not really. Poor sales.
    Oh right. Don't really take much of an interest in album sales tbh, not for artists I don't like. She got a no.1 though right? Gah I'm getting confused, maybe it wasn't her :p
    LoveBug. wrote: »
    Yeah Diana Vicker's is a good example. Number 1 album & single (it was a quiet week probs) and then falling like a rock later on. The album has only sold like 150k + ?

Yeah and her last two singles were at the low end of the top 40 even with an X Factor performance.:rolleyes:
  • Scoobyh1Scoobyh1 Posts: 2,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive got another one...Kate Nash.

Won a few Brit Awards, played foundations to death on capital and has now faded into obscurity.

Whereas Britney has been around for 12 years yet they NEVER play her songs. annoys me.
  • SmiirkySmiirky Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scoobyh1 wrote: »
    Ive got another one...Kate Nash.

Won a few Brit Awards, played foundations to death on capital and has now faded into obscurity.

Whereas Britney has been around for 12 years yet they NEVER play her songs. annoys me.

I remember her!..Vaguely.
    Forum Member
    Kate Nash had a couple of catchy songs, but yea, nothing sustainable. She's not exactly massively talented either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    Ms dynamite did well in 2003 but then flopped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex Gardner I think was his name. 'The new George Michael' ha:rolleyes: