Dogs in the bed...yes or no?

Comments

• MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm unashamedly a scruffy tramp anyway, so a bit of dog hair, mud, marinated fox poos whatever doesn't bother me.

She's cleaner than some people I've lived with and in all the years I've had dogs and works with them I've never once caught anything, they probably give my immune system a good workout :D

Each to their own :)
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do want to share my life with a dog, just not my bed or my sofa.

You seem to think people are trying to tell you what to do. Have you spoken to anyone about that?

People have suggested all sorts of things in this thread about people who do share their beds or sofas with dogs I don't need to speak to anyone to be able to see that.

And disagree and suddenly I'm told to seek help - patronised when someone critiques my posts ...
  • Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a lass that doesn't wish to be argumentative you're doing a fine job. Well done you. :)

Bless. We've gone way off topic lets just leave it here :)
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa.J wrote: »
    Bless. We've gone way off topic lets just leave it here :)

I just knew you'd be back. All the signs were there that you are someone who likes the last word. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    And I have never told anyone to do what I do. Unlike people trying to make many of us who do allow our dogs to share with us to feel we are doing something wrong and we should do what you do.

If you don't want to share your life with a dog then don't there is no pressure to do so, me and many other do enjoy sharing our lives with our dogs.

I thought you might like to read your post so you could reflect on your posting style. No one is trying to make you feel anything. People are just posting their opinions.

Your second comment wins the prize for the most patronising comment on this thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought you might like to read your post so you could reflect on your posting style. No one is trying to make you feel anything. People are just posting their opinions.

Your second comment wins the prize for the most patronising comment on this thread.

You need to explain to me what is patronising about it because I genuinely have no idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to explain to me what is patronising about it because I genuinely have no idea.

You used the word patronised in your post. Don't you know what it means?
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has turned into a really nasty thread:(
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Casual wrote: »
    LOL no way. You'd have to be a bit weird to let your dogs sleep in your bed, I mean WTF? People who let their dogs on their beds and other furniture don't seem to realise how much it smells.

Do you think the same regarding people who smoke in their living rooms and inviting you to sit on an ashy, stinky sofa leaving your clothes smelling of stale ciggies?

Or should all smokers be forced to smoke outdoors incase a friend visits who doesnt like the smell of the house?
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    This has turned into a really nasty thread:(

It always happens. There are people who pretend to be reasonable, but as the evidence will show in this thread, are little more than trolls who just want the last word, and for whom everyone else's opinions are wrong.

It's such a shame, but that's the way of the Internet. Thankfully, it's pretty clear who the culprit is in this thread - they're the ones arguing with everyone and upsetting everyone with passive attacks.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion. It's just not all opinions are right :P
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Do you think the same regarding people who smoke in their living rooms and inviting you to sit on an ashy, stinky sofa leaving your clothes smelling of stale ciggies?

Or should all smokers be forced to smoke outdoors incase a friend visits who doesnt like the smell of the house?

I absolutely loathe that. But it happens quite often.

One of my dogs gets on my sofa (and the other one does it in the middle of the night). I have no problem with that and as it's a lovely leather sofa, it only take a minute to rub it down to its original state. Everyone's happy (except, probably, the trolls on this thread) :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You used the word patronised in your post. Don't you know what it means?

Well I obviously thought I did but if you can't show me what is patronising about my post I am wondering how I am supposed to learn ?
  • theidtheid Posts: 6,053
    Forum Member
    Nansbread wrote: »
    Good owner brushes dogs teeth
    Good owner goes to bed
    Dog detects an itch in anus and bollocks area
    Dog gives anus and testicles a very good lick
    Itch gone!!!!
    Dog feels like sleeping in owners bed
    owner allows dog in bed
    Grateful dog licks owners face as thank you gesture

Mmmm - and all humans are wonderfully clean, sterile beings.
    Have you seen a teenager's bedroom?
  • blossom24blossom24 Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Amber starts of in her own bed in our room (one of many around the house) and works her way on to our bed during the night!
    After her early morning walk, more often than not, she ends up back on our bed,under the covers, snuggling with her dad:D
    We have throws on the furniture, which are washed weekly, and easily removed for visitors.
    However, I am of the same opinion as molliepops, Amber is our family and if people/friends are adverse to a few dog hairs, please stay away because Amber is "going nowhere":)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly it's comments like dog encrusted sofas that got to me as if we are not able to put athrow on the sofa and never hoover ! It's just a bit of dog hair not nuclear waste. Interestingly no one turns an eye if a cat wanders in all over the furniture and in some cases the kitchen worktops !
  • CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »

I don't think people who smoke in their living rooms are weird, no.

I didn't suggest dogs should remain outside in case a visitor doesn't like the smell, so I'm not sure why you're asking me this.
  • blossom24blossom24 Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Exactly it's comments like dog encrusted sofas that got to me as if we are not able to put athrow on the sofa and never hoover ! It's just a bit of dog hair not nuclear waste. Interestingly no one turns an eye if a cat wanders in all over the furniture and in some cases the kitchen worktops !

Cats on work surfaces is awful :eek:
    Oh dear, Amber has just come down stairs and jumped on the sofa!! Quick I best call in "dirt busters" in case I have an unexpected, hair phobic, visitor, who will need medical attention for being in contact with dog hair!! :rolleyes:
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How interesting how polarised this thread has become.

I've always had dogs in my life. My parents had dogs and my mum loved the dogs more than she loved my dad, I swear! Her dogs were loved and cuddled, but she drew the line at having them upstairs or on the furniture. I've been pretty much the same with our dogs. I think it's absolutely possible to love your dogs more than anything in the world and to have them as part of your family, without letting them upstairs or on to your furniture.

Our friends have got two westies. The dogs are spoilt rotten and sleep on their bed and inhabit their settee. The dogs aren't the most appealing dogs I've ever met and they pretty much rule the roost. One in particular has bitten both owners, when he can't get his own way. I do wonder whether allowing dogs so many privileges gives them the wrong idea about acceptable behaviour? The other thing is, the settees smell of dog and much as I love dogs myself, it's not the nicest smell in the world. At least my dog sleeps in a basket in the kitchen, and I can wash her cushions regularly.

We were on holiday recently and we were enjoying coffees outside at a National Trust coffee shop. A couple had two dogs with them and each dog sat on the knee of one of them, whilst enjoying titbits from the table. I overheard the conversation from another table, which went along the lines of "disgraceful" "disgusting" and I must say I did agree with this. A dog is an animal after all!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problems here with either of ours biting us or being unmanagable in any way. And if I had heard anyone talking about me having my dog on my lap I would have had to say something about it being my dog/my lap and none of her business really.

Mine go most places with us, we alternate working hours so one of us is here with them and they share much of what we have. Not seeming to do them any harm. My first dog we did much as you do but looking back we missed so much fun with him I wish I could do it again so I could relax a bit more with him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problems here with either of ours biting us or being unmanagable in any way. And if I had heard anyone talking about me having my dog on my lap I would have had to say something about it being my dog/my lap and none of her business really.

Mine go most places with us, we alternate working hours so one of us is here with them and they share much of what we have. Not seeming to do them any harm. My first dog we did much as you do but looking back we missed so much fun with him I wish I could do it again so I could relax a bit more with him.

I'm completely shocked that you seem to think that it's ok to have your dogs on your laps in a coffee shop and feed them titbits. I think that's what you were getting at. Unfortunately it's this sort of thing that gets dogs banned from eating outlets.

We take our dog out and about with us all the time, and it's been great that this summer as more and more places let dogs in. We've eaten breakfast in various places in Cornwall and most of them let the dog in and of course a lot of pubs let dogs in now, which is great. We did of course put the dog under the table whilst we were eating.

I can't see what you're getting out about missing out on so much fun with your dog? Perhaps you'll explain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be in the coffee shop we would sit outside. Dog on lap not on table so what's the problem :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be in the coffee shop we would sit outside. Dog on lap not on table so what's the problem :confused:

Even outside it's wrong. What you do at home is one thing, but in a public eating area it's not acceptable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So dog never touches table chair or floor and it's unacceptable ? How odd. I could understand if it had feet on table drinking from a cup or something but really just sat on a lap ? That really is taking a fear of germs etc too far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So dog never touches table chair or floor and it's unacceptable ? How odd. I could understand if it had feet on table drinking from a cup or something but really just sat on a lap ? That really is taking a fear of germs etc too far.

I can see Molliepops, that you just don't get it. Sadly it's dog owners like you that give all of us a bad name.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I make sure my dogs do not bother other people but you are right this puzzles me as I cannot see how my small dog is going to bother anyone else. It actually reminds me of a man who we met years ago who has aspergers much worse than my husbands and he was paranoid about walking or sitting on grass, and seats outside - he just couldn't do it he was so sure the seat or grass would have been sat on or walked over by squirrels. Completely ruled his life this fear of the germs he could encounter.