Recommend me a smartphone

tinshedtinshed Posts: 483
Forum Member
Looking for a phone which uses android either brand new or 2nd hand. I've got around £200 to spend, I really haven't got a clue as to what's good and what's not. Ideas please folks.

Comments

• finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get the Nexus 4 8gb for £239 from the Play Store.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll get the popcorn for this thread lol
  • Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    I would recommend the Nokia lumia 800 as its fast, good apps, touch screen sensitive and very quick. Also it has the option of personalising it as well, by creating it the way you want it. Also if you have an iPod touch you can tether it to your Nokia and use it like an iPhone basically. All implying that you make your own WiFi hotspot with it. Had it as an Xmas present and posting from it lol. :D:D:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the OP wants an Android phone and Nokia Lumia runs windows os
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »

seconded ... no other option really worth considering if you have that amount to spend
  • Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    In that case an HTC wildfire as my brothers wife has that phone and is very compact. Also got very good value for money too. :D
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Tall Paul wrote: »
    In that case an HTC wildfire as my brothers wife has that phone and is very compact. Also got very good value for money too. :D

it is very compact ... very sh*te too :D

Seriously there are better phones for your dosh
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

+1 for this...:)
  • PriliclaPrilicla Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nexus 4 !
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This. Really, if you can stretch to the extra £40, it's really worth it.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can only second what others have said, if you can get a LG-Nexus 4 8gb discounted direct from Google for £239 then get it. It is without doubt the best phone in the sub £250 range.

Or if you can get an extra £80 get the LG Nexus 4 16Gb which again is the best phone in the sub £290 range. Don't be put off by discount phones, some of them are quite good like the Nexus 4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yep, direct link to the discounted LG Nexus 4 8gb..Buy it now lol. These phones are £300+ from normal retail stores.
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    discounted

You keep saying this. I don't think the word means what you think it means.

That is the price that it has been on Google since day one. They have never sold it for a higher price. It would be more correct to say that other outlets have are using it's limited online availability to inflate their prices.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flynn wrote: »

That is the price that it has been on Google since day one. They have never sold it for a higher price. It would be more correct to say that other outlets have are using it's limited online availability to inflate their prices.

Exactly. I think they mean "subsidised" or "aggressively priced". Looks a bit embarrassing saying "discounted" constantly when the word does not apply.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flynn wrote: »

You say subsidised, I say discounted, the important thing is Google offer these products at cheap as chips prices and me and you as consumers are the winners..:D. I know a lot of our friends are buying these phones for 9 and 10 year old kids they're so cheap.

These kids will grow to like/love android so its a great tactic.
  • tinshedtinshed Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    Looks really good but doesnt have expandable memory. I guess these phones arent locked to any network provider. Im currently sim only with virgin ( currently using a blackberry with all the bumpf that goes with that) so would this work ok
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinshed wrote: »
    Looks really good but doesnt have expandable memory. I guess these phones arent locked to any network provider. Im currently sim only with virgin ( currently using a blackberry with all the bumpf that goes with that) so would this work ok

Lets be honest, you're ideally looking for a £200 phone, the best thats out there is a Nexus 4 at just under £240. You won't get a better sub £250 phone.
  • tinshedtinshed Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    Cant even purchase phone, site keeps stating theirs a technical error on checkout!

Never mind cheers for the info..
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Huawei Ascend G300
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinshed wrote: »
    Cant even purchase phone, site keeps stating theirs a technical error on checkout!

Never mind cheers for the info..

From another forum that I am a member of, somebody purchased 16GB one at around 8:30pm today so I suggest keep trying. Maybe a different browser or different computer.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tall Paul wrote: »

My wildfire was a good phone in its day, but it was also sluggish. If it did not take a swim I would still be using it, but I got a Huawei Ascend G 300 as a replacement, build wise the phone is useless, but it did show me how sluggish the wildfire was.

I would not recommend a wildfire unless you just want something cheap and cheerful and then I think there may be something better out there, but not the Huawei Ascend G 300.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    You say subsidised, I say discounted, the important thing is Google offer these products at cheap as chips prices and me and you as consumers are the winners..:D. I know a lot of our friends are buying these phones for 9 and 10 year old kids they're so cheap.

These kids will grow to like/love android so its a great tactic.

i would not say £239 is cheap, it may be a good price for the phone, but cheap? no.

if people are buying their 9-10 year kids these phones, then they most have money to burn. How long before it get lost or stolen?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Huawei Ascend G300

load of rubbish, It may be ok as long as you careful with it, but the build quality is awful. It is a fast phone for the price, responsive and all that stuff. Well it was for a while.

If I bumped the thing or dropped it , I may expect it not to work, but it was treated with kids gloves and it is still failing.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    load of rubbish, It may be ok as long as you careful with it, but the build quality is awful. It is a fast phone for the price, responsive and all that stuff. Well it was for a while.

If I bumped the thing or dropped it , I may expect it not to work, but it was treated with kids gloves and it is still failing.

You must have a faulty one - I've dropped mine more times than I care to remember and not a scratch or crack or loss of function once. It's very solidly put together. Last week, whilst ringing the missus, I dropped it down the stairs and it smacked on the laminate floor at the bottom - fearing the worst I picked the phone up to hear the wife asking what the hell just happened? :D

PS Got a Nexus 4 now and it's amazing but i'm not confident it would stand up to the same mistreatment!