Squad Clear outs - time to get rid of the deadwood at your club?

bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,936
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With the End of season looming and Championship, Promotion & Relegation soon to be settled it will them be time to decide what players to keep or get rid of, so who would you like seen gone from your club when the season ends & why:confused:

For me Paulino after today's performance at Burnley reminds what he does at spurs absolute nothing and the biggest waste of the bale money I think I have seen

Also Adebayor does nothing for most of the matches his plays in and should of gone at the end of last Season:confused:

And once Aaron Lennon Loan at Everton comes to end I think will be shown the door because he has not had a look in for much of the last couple of seasons:confused:

Comments

• DandemDandem Posts: 13,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At Liverpool? Well...

- Dejan Lovren
    - Rickie Lambert
    - Fabio Borini
    - Glen Johnson
    - Jose Enrique
    - Sebastien Coates
    - Luis Alberto
    - Iago Aspas

Many may say Balotelli, but I'd just generally prefer him to stay, he's a decent option off the bench, even if he's 3rd or 4th choice. Others may say Toure, but I'd like him to stay just 1 more year in order to be the experienced head in the dressing room the youngsters can look up to with Gerrard and probably Johnson leaving. And there may even be calls to get rid of Markovic, but for me the lad's only 20 and has shown glimpses of real talent, so he's worth persisting with.
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Depending who we get, I'd be okay with keeping Lambert if his wages are low enough. He's decent backup, and could be useful if we have to play in the Europa League.

People might also include Brad Jones but I've never had a problem with him being a backup. Maybe we could get someone and he becomes our third-choice, but like Lambert he'd be fine with that. I think he was third choice when we had Doni, and maybe Cavalieri. He doesn't exactly fill you with confidence but he does a job when called upon.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For us, well we have gradually managed to get rid of a few people like Anderson, Bebe, and Fletcher recently, who could have rightly fallen into the "deadwood" section.

I suppose Nani, Hernandez, Henriquez, Keane, Amos, Varela, Cleverely, and Powell, are all players that we could perhaps sell in the upcoming summer market, and which would be best for them as well as us, if they did leave us.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Utd

Johnny Evans

RVP and Falcao but only if we have decent replacement(s) lined up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    At Liverpool? Well...

- Dejan Lovren
    - Rickie Lambert
    - Fabio Borini
    - Glen Johnson
    - Jose Enrique
    - Sebastien Coates
    - Luis Alberto
    - Iago Aspas

Many may say Balotelli, but I'd just generally prefer him to stay, he's a decent option off the bench, even if he's 3rd or 4th choice. Others may say Toure, but I'd like him to stay just 1 more year in order to be the experienced head in the dressing room the youngsters can look up to with Gerrard and probably Johnson leaving. And there may even be calls to get rid of Markovic, but for me the lad's only 20 and has shown glimpses of real talent, so he's worth persisting with.

If you guys were looking to get rid of Mario, I think that you may be hard pressed in doing so, as I don't quite know where or whom you could sell him to.
    Two clubs that usually buy over the hill players, AC and Inter both have already had him, and neither look interested in having him back, Roma, and Juve well I cannot see either of them going for him, as they both have far better strikers (and Totti aged 4000 years old is still a better option than him), so I think Serie A can be ruled out.

Selling him to another English club perhaps? Well since Big Sam is leaving West Ham by the looks of things, I think that they can be ruled out for the moment, as I don't think we can judge their transfer policy until we know who their manager for next season will be.
    Arsenal, Chelsea, both of the Manchester Clubs and Southampton can all be ruled out, so that just leaves Spurs in terms of clubs here that could afford him, and who you might be willing to do business with, but even then they have Kane, and would Balotelli be willing to play second fiddle to him? I am unsure.
    So apart from Spurs, I don't think any other English club can be classed as a realistic possible destination.

Spain, well Barca cannot sign anyone to play with them for a year, so they are ruled out (not that I think that they would be ever be interested in him anyway, they got the one Liverpool player that they wanted last summer).

I don't think Real Madrid would be interested in him, they have enough forward players as it is (yes they do love signing more than their fair share, but even so, I cannot see them being interested in Balotelli).

Valencia have a new owner, but have to pay for Negredo's full transfer fee this summer, plus are putting some money into finally trying to get their half built new stadium completed, so I think they can be ruled out.

Atletico Madrid, they have plenty of striking options already, plus Mario doesn't seem like a Simeone signing, so I think that they can be ruled out as well.

So I think that Spain can be ruled out, as I don't think any of the other sides could afford Mario, nor would he want to join any of the other sides.

Germany? Well Bayern are pretty well stocked for attacking players, plus Pep likes hard working players who can press, and press quickly, something that Balotelli cannot do, so I think he can be ruled out of going there.

Wolfsburg? Well when one of their strikers is the self confessed best striker in the whole world, you might think Balotelli would struggle for a game, but when that player is Bendtner, he might actually have half a chance!
    With Dorst doing wonders up front, perhaps he could fit in here, but it is hard to see him doing so I think.

Mönchengladbach? They are not really big spenders as far as I can see, so I don't think that they would be prepared to pay him what he would like.

The you have Leverkusen and Dortmund, neither of which look like destinations where he would end up.

So I think Germany can be ruled out.

So where is left? France? PSG already have a fair few top level strikers so are not in any rush in that department, as do Lyon and Marseille, and even Monaco do (even discounting Falcao from their squad of players).
    So I think that country can be ruled out.

After that can any clubs in Holland, Portugal, Belgium, or anywhere else in Europe really afford his wages, nevermind any potential transfer fee?? I am very doubtful on that.

So that just leaves a possible DP slot in MLS (which have mostly all been taken for this current season I think) or somewhere like China or the Middle East for a place who could afford him.
    Turkey I suppose could be place where he could go I suppose, Gala or Besiktas could I think be persuaded to sign him, but I think he would have to take some sort of paycut in order to do so, would he do that? Again, it is hard to say.

So I think that you may be stuck with him for the time being, unless something happens that I haven't thought of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Utd

Johnny Evans

I wasn't including Falcao in the deadwood category, as he isn't our player to get rid of or sell, but yes I think that we should just let his loan period run until the end of the season, and then say, thanks, but I think we will let you go back to Monaco.

RvP and Evans are perhaps two players that we should look to sell, but I wouldn't class them as deadwood (I think of Anderson when that word crops up, and neither are in that category I think).
  • Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To the Spurs list mentioned in the first post I'd personally add Townsend, Chadli, Walker, Chiriches, Soldado, Capoue, Kaboul, Dembele, none are consistent and all are taking up space and salaries which could be put to better use.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any number of clubs would deem Balotelli a target, including those batdude hilariously rules out because they already have forwards. A player with his potential and ability won't go hungry and if there's one place a misfit forward will get many many chances, it's Serie A.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Any number of clubs would deem Balotelli a target, including those batdude hilariously rules out because they already have forwards. A player with his potential and ability won't go hungry and if there's one place a misfit forward will get many many chances, it's Serie A.

Which clubs have I mistakenly got wrong in my analysis?

So you think Serie A is still a possible destination for him, fine, which clubs do you think there would be not only interested in him, but could afford his wages and any possible transfer fee?
    AC Milan? Inter? Both have had him, neither I suspect would want him back (as poor as they are currently doing themselves).
    So who else is there in that league?

I am not trying to be sarcastic, or negative, I am honestly just trying to do an honest bit of working out, as to who might actually be interested in Mario and who could afford him financially, as he won't be coming cheap in terms of wages one might think.

Would Liverpool loan him out and pay his wages or part of his wages at another club?
    That could be an option I suppose, but it wouldn't look good from a PR point of view I think.
    If they did go down that road, then yes, a few more doors could be open to him that I thought were closed in my previous post.

Overall though, trying to take as much into account as possible, I still think Liverpool will have trouble shifting him this summer if they did want to sell him, but as always, things change pretty quickly in football, and as the window ticks nearer to closing, clubs become more and more desperate to sign players, so funny or strange transfers do happen, that many thought wouldn't go through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's pick just one team. You say Roma wouldn't have him because Totti is better. This is true, but Totti's also approaching 40 and they've had a go with Adriano, Osvaldo and Borriello amongst others while Totti was there and younger than he is now.

I wouldn't rule out the Milan clubs at all either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Let's pick just one team. You say Roma wouldn't have him because Totti is better. This is true, but Totti's also approaching 40 and they've had a go with Adriano, Osvaldo and Borriello amongst others while Totti was there and younger than he is now.

I wouldn't rule out the Milan clubs at all either.

You wouldn't rule out the Milan clubs, okay, I don't quite see why either would want to take him back again, but if you do, then fair enough.

As for Roma, is the Destro loan to AC Milan a confirmed deal, or can he come back? If it is a permanent deal, then there could be room at Roma for Balotelli, but even then, he doesn't seem to be a signing that the people in charge there would make, but I have been wrong before on these matters (and will be again many times).
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Newcastle it's more about asking who we'd keep :blush:
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knarf44 wrote: »
    To the Spurs list mentioned in the first post I'd personally add Townsend, Chadli, Walker, Chiriches, Soldado, Capoue, Kaboul, Dembele, none are consistent and all are taking up space and salaries which could be put to better use.

I think it is easier to say who should stay, and be considered good enough for what we want to achieve.
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Utd

Johnny Evans

Yeah, besides the obvious ones who are out on loan and won't be coming back, i'd like to see us move Evans on. Falcao will almost certainly not be signing. I'm happy for RVP to stay if he's happy playing a lesser role from this point on.

I wonder whether we might say goodbye to Anders Lindegaard too, especially now that we have Valdes as backup. Also, if we sign a RB I could see Rafael being moved on. LVG doesn't seem keen on the lad.

That makes for quite a lengthy list:

Falcao
    Nani
    Hernandez
    Evans
    Henriquez
    Keane
    Lindegaard
    Varela
    Cleverely
    Amos
    Powell
    Rafael
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=batdude_uk1;77596344

Germany? Well Bayern are pretty well stocked for attacking players, plus Pep likes hard working players who

Wolfsburg? Well when one of their strikers is the self confessed best striker in the whole world, you might think Balotelli would struggle for a game, but when that player is Bendtner, he might actually have half a chance!
    With Dorst doing wonders up front, perhaps he could fit in here, but it is hard to see him doing so I think[/QUOTE]

I thought I'd cut out all the waffle and just point out that it's Bas Dost, not Dorst. With your 'journalism' degree, one would assume you'd take more care with your posts..
  • robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Balotelli over the hill at 24??

He's not even had a full season at Liverpool either.

Surprised Batdude hasn't gone one further and proclaimed Liverpool should sign Grant Holt to take his position.
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    If Man United can manage to shift Nani and Anderson, and even Cleverley, then we should have no problem finding someone to take Balotelli. There'll be clubs who'll want to be the one to unlock his potential.

As for his wages, he took a 50% (I think) wage cut to come to Liverpool, which, while not looking it up, puts him on about £70k a week. I don't think it'd be that much of a problem for clubs to be able to fund that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another blooper from Batdude. There will obviously be several clubs vying for Balotelli's signature.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another blooper from Batdude. There will obviously be several clubs vying for Balotelli's signature.

Not really a blooper, I am sure there are clubs that would like to sign him, I just cannot work out which ones they are.

Would you like to put forward any names? Or are you just happy to be critical of somnerone for daring to work things out?
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose that's what you get when everything you "know" comes straight from p!aying football manager. Of course clubs would sign Balotelli, no doubt about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I'd cut out all the waffle and just point out that it's Bas Dost, not Dorst. With your 'journalism' degree, one would assume you'd take more care with your posts..

Why is "journalism" in inverted commas??:confused:

An error I agree, but you know the player that I meant.
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really a blooper, I am sure there are clubs that would like to sign him, I just cannot work out which ones they are.

Would you like to put forward any names? Or are you just happy to be critical of somnerone for daring to work things out?

:D:D:D absolutely nothing worked out in your post at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavidT wrote: »
    I suppose that's what you get when everything you "know" comes straight from p!aying football manager. Of course clubs would sign Balotelli, no doubt about it.

Not at all my knowledge comes from a wide array of sources, of which FM is but one (in fact I haven't played it months).

I said that clubs would sign him,but which ones, is a bit more harder to nail down and predict, which ones do you think could be ones that could sign him??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which begs the question why are you so sure there are clubs that will take him? The answer to that is you're not sure, because your point was that Liverpool are stuck with him. You're now backtracking because a few people have called you out for such an absurd suggestion.

For what it's worth, I think his most likely destination is back home to Italy. Any of the sides in the top half would be interested in taking him and have a realistic shot at getting him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You wouldn't rule out the Milan clubs, okay, I don't quite see why either would want to take him back again, but if you do, then fair enough.

Because he's an immensely talented player with time on his side, and there are no end of managers who believe they could be the one to get that out of him.