Buying a new car, Golf GTI or GTD

MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I can't decide which to get. A newer GTD appeals because iof it's better mpg but equally a GTI is lovely.
Or should I just bust the bank and get an audi RS3 sportback?

Comments

• David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a case of the same, but different.
    Gti and gtd are both nice, they just drive a bit different due to the difference between petrol and diesel power.

The petrol car may feel a bit more nimble due to a lighter engine up front.

The future of diesel power doesn't look so bright at the moment, due to new health fears and localised air pollution issues. The current snip to diesel fuel prices won't last forever.

The difference is really down to which you prefer. Some people prefer the diesel style of driving others hate it.

You might want to also consider an alternative, the golf 1.4tsi (petrol) with "ACT" (active cylinder technology).
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on what you want. I test drove all 3 of the cars you are looking at and in the end went for a new GTI PP as I prefer the power delivery and it also has decent MPG considering the performance. I didn't like the A3 ride and couldn't live with the dated looks, it has been too long since they changed it, Audi just add new lights every other year.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I've just bought a Scriocco 2ltr TDI 184 BHP and by the wind it's fast, fast enough for most people, can't see why you'd need to go for the GTi unless you hate diesel.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP hasn't said how many miles they are intending to do annually. Buying a diesel and only doing low to moderate mileage he could face the dreaded DPF problems associated with modern diesel cars.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    ^^Just gives me an excuse to take it on a nice run once a week
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^Just gives me an excuse to take it on a nice run once a week

Kinda defeats the object if you've picked diesel over petrol for economy reasons and then have to make a regular needless motorway/fast A road journey to prevent an expensive bill.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks folks.
    My mileage will be pretty variable. Either trips of 15 miles a couple of times a day, 5 days a week or two trips of 40 miles 3 times a week. Depending where I am working.
    What is the dreaded DPF?
    I did briefly have an older GTD, which I liked but was a bit knackered. I must say I am tempted more by the GTI just now.
  • EBD3000EBD3000 Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the diesel particulate filter which become clogged with lots of short journeys. If you roughly do over 12000 miles a year get the diesel else get the petrol. Personally I'd get the GTI out of the two because it's an iconic name.

Also have you considered the Leon FR? Same car but cheaper, better looks (subjective I know) and will probably get the tech pack (sat nav/dab/front LED headlights) thrown in free/cheap.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Personally I would never have a diesel-powered car, because they are filthy (I don't know about "new health fears"). I'm convinced that the uptake of diesel (encouraged by tax-breaks) has lead to the explosion of kids with asthma.

Diesels also "tend" to be less reliable than their petrol equivalents.

I always chuckle when I hear people pontificating about their diesel being preferable to a petrol. (Inside I'm screaming - just admit it, your tight)!
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if diesel drivers today are "tight".....like for like, diesel cars cost more to buy than a petrol equivalent. You need to do quite a few more miles a year to make a diesel car make financial sense. If your only pootling around doing 5000 miles a year, a diesel doesn't make any sense at all. And now that petrol technology is moving forward as well - the case for going diesel is getting smaller. At the moment this is limited to smaller cars, but I would expect to see similar improvements to larger petrol cars given more time. Until a couple of weeks ago, diesel fuel was also more expensive than standard unleaded petrol.

I am not sure about diesel cars being less or more reliable than petrol version. In the old days the argument was that Diesel engines were simpler more robust and therefore more reliable than a petrol engine.
    In more modern times, lots of tech has been added to diesels to make them faster, cleaner, more economical, but in doing so this has added the implication that there is more to go wrong - the DPF filter is a classic example.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    I can't decide which to get. A newer GTD appeals because iof it's better mpg but equally a GTI is lovely.
    Or should I just bust the bank and get an audi RS3 sportback?

I like the look of the GTE - very tempted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get the petrol GTI .

Weasels drive diesels :D
  • Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd lease the GTD, they were so cheap earlier this year when we were looking
  • Paul_PPaul_P Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    I'd go petrol if I wasn't going up and down motorways a lot, modern diesels are horrible things when they're not working 100%, look at any city centre junction and you'll probably see some black lines of soot in the ground from badly running diesels accelerating away. The reliable, economical diesel car bit the just about 15 years ago.