Options

Swimming whilst on your period ladies?

Comments

• Options
    tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    I personally would find it weird if my wife signed up on Digital Spy just to ask this question - hence why I asked instead. It's genuine.
    I'm 32. My wife has suffered with heavy periods all her life, with severe cramps. So bad that once we had to go to a&e. So she has never been swimming when she's on her period, as she is worried the tampon won't 'work'. She normally wears pads, not tampons.

I was hoping for some serious responses, from people who have similar issues, but instead it turns into something like the Chatter forum or the GD....

Hi.

If her period is exceptionally heavy then it's best to avoid swimming as even the strongest/thickest tampon will leak very quickly....and definitely don't use pads.

(I am a woman, and yes, very heavy periods can make one dizzy due to anemia caused by blood loss. Painkillers can make you drowsy).
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rae_Roo wrote: »
    I'll give this the benefit of the doubt for a moment.

I had such heavy periods as a teenager I'd pass out, also having to take iron tablets regularly. I was prescribed the pill at 14, which helped significantly, although when I came off the pill in my mid 20s for a few years I had the heavy periods again.

Personally, super tampons were fine, sometimes you'd need to change every few hours on the worse days. Compared to pads though, it's a no brainer, I've never known them to 'leak' and I'm suprised an adult woman would not have this know how.

Frankly I'm suprised with such bad periods anyone would use a pad, trying not to be graphicsm, but it must be disgusting, and grossly unhygienic imo.
    I know, eeeuugghh indeed! I only managed during that time with the super ones, sometimes I'd use a liner too if I knew I wouldn't be able to change the tampon as often as I'd like through the worst days.

It's quite confusing, a fresh tampon for an hour or so of swimming is common sense. But then, so would be using them prior to ensure you didn't 'leak', I can't understand why anyone with such heavy periods would use pads. :o

Much be squelchy and horrible, like you've got half a pound of raw mince in your knickers! :(

Going through the menopause and tampons are useless I am back on pads - home made washable ones that are the only thing can cope with it. I think back to when I thought I had heavy periods a few years ago and realise they weren't because a tampon coped well.

Yes it's horrible but it's life and will end eventually I am told.

Would I swim ? not on your life I can barely stand up at times.
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Do excuse us for having a bit of light-hearted chat - which was not at either your or your wife's expense, by the way. There's no rule against that, so no need to be petulant about it.
    I don't think I was petulant at all, I was trying to get some serious answers, hence why I used the advice forum, not the Chatter.
    The responses weren't serious because, whatever you might choose to believe, it is strange that a woman in her thirties is still unsure what to do about her periods in any given situation and that her husband is discussing her menstrual cycle on a forum, when she could talk to a friend or simply Google 'heavy periods and swimming'. It's the school holidays, and this is a teenager's question, thus my suspicion that you were on the wind-up.

I have had a few serious answers, from people who understand the issue. It's really not that hard to comprehend - my wife, in her 30's, has never gone swimming whilst on her period due to her heavy periods. It's that simple...
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »

Would I swim ? not on your life I can barely stand up at times.

I feel for you - my wife was that bad for a while. Having a baby has helped the pains a bit, but not the 'heaviness'.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel for you - my wife was that bad for a while. Having a baby has helped the pains a bit, but not the 'heaviness'.

What ever she decides I hope you both enjoy your holiday, you seem a very caring hubby coming here and asking for her.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    Hello ladies

My wife is getting worried as it looks like our holiday next week in a villa with family will be the same time as her period.

She gets quite heavy periods - can I ask if any other ladies have experience of swimming whilst on your period? All go ok?
    I find it a bit weird that you are on here asking this question on your wife's behalf, to be honest, and I'm not sure it's genuine. She must surely know how to deal with her periods.

But, yes, of course it'll 'all go OK'. She can just wear a tampon, as normal, and change it after each swim.

As she has heavy periods she won't want to rely on that.

I haven't read all the replies Bio Max; I'm sure someone else will have suggested it but she can go to her doctor and get some tablets that can postpone her periods while on holiday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I personally would find it weird if my wife signed up on Digital Spy just to ask this question - hence why I asked instead. It's genuine.
    I'm 32. My wife has suffered with heavy periods all her life, with severe cramps. So bad that once we had to go to a&e. So she has never been swimming when she's on her period, as she is worried the tampon won't 'work'. She normally wears pads, not tampons.

I was hoping for some serious responses, from people who have similar issues, but instead it turns into something like the Chatter forum or the GD....
    Do excuse us for having a bit of light-hearted chat - which was not at either your or your wife's expense, by the way. There's no rule against that, so no need to be petulant about it.

The responses weren't serious because, whatever you might choose to believe, it is strange that a woman in her thirties is still unsure what to do about her periods in any given situation and that her husband is discussing her menstrual cycle on a forum, when she could talk to a friend or simply Google 'heavy periods and swimming'. It's the school holidays, and this is a teenager's question, thus my suspicion that you were on the wind-up.

Many people on DS could Google most of the stuff they ask questions about but the Forum is here for doing just that if they choose. Many people obviously prefer to ask on a Forum they use, we like to chat to each other about all sorts of things, otherwise no point in having the Forum.

Unfortunately BioMax it happens on DS you just have to ignore such people ^_^
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    As she has heavy periods she won't want to rely on that.

I haven't read all the replies Bio Max; I'm sure someone else will have suggested it but she can go to her doctor and get some tablets that can postpone her periods while on holiday.

It's either tampons or a cup, or no swimming, I'm afraid, so that's the only advice that can be given, and I stand by it.

You can't swim in a pad, especially if you have a heavy period, and it's too late for a prescription - they are going next week and you need to start taking the pills several days before your period is due. A super max tampon will be fine, even with a very heavy period. It will just need to be changed very regularly, and definitely every time she comes out of the water.

I really can't believe all this fuss about something so simple that almost every woman in the world has to deal with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's either tampons or a cup, or no swimming, I'm afraid, so that's the only advice that can be given, and I stand by it.

You can't swim in a pad, especially if you have a heavy period, and it's too late for a prescription - they are going next week and you need to start taking the pills several days before your period is due. A super max tampon will be fine, even with a very heavy period. It will just need to be changed very regularly, and definitely every time she comes out of the water.

I really can't believe all this fuss about something so simple that almost every woman in the world has to deal with.

The only reason there is any 'fuss' is because people are offering their own advice and it's not all the same so it seems like fuss. I would only be no fuss if only a few people posted and they all said the same.
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, tell your wife to have a look in Boots for LilLets Ultra tampons - they're the size for heaviest flow. They should be sufficient for going for a swim, and then change after. Also, much easier to transport on holiday than a massive pack of bulky pads.
  • Options
    itsy bitsyitsy bitsy Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Bio Max, As someone who has suffered with very heavy periods accompanied by excruciating menstrual cramps, pins and needles, faintness and being sick I feel for your wife I truly do. The trouble is not every woman's period experiences are the same. What might seem heavy to one lady might just be a mere smear for another. Whilst I would be doubled up on the first day with a terrible dragging sensation in my stomach and tops of my thighs, clutching a hot water bottle even in the height of summer armed with tablets and a sick bowl, my friends in the same situation period wise would be off having fun with hardly a twinge. My mother-in-law once said to my hubby (then my boyfriend) , when he informed her that I wouldn't be able to make it to hers for tea because I wasn't feeling well because of my period, 'oh, we all have our little aches and pains'. I think she thought that I was making a fuss over 'nothing'. I guess you can tell that, though it's now something like 50 years ago, it still rankles! When I went on to have three babies and she asked me what the labours were like I would always say that they were no worse than my periods because they weren't! On one occasion when I was at an obstetrician's and he wanted to give me an internal I was horror struck as I had my period so I told him . He said not to worry even though I told him it was heavy. Afterwards he said, 'Oh, my goodness, it is heavy isn't I!.' So I certainly never went swimming during the first few days not just because of the blood flow but I physically didn't feel like it. Neither do my daughters who have unfortunately all taken after me and suffer too, despite being young, wearing tampons, taking medication and even trying the pill, none want to swim when they have a period. I imagine one of the problems for your wife is having to explain to others on your holiday why she doesn't feel like swimming. It can be extremely embarrassing especially if folk don't understand the situation and try and coerce you into going. Maybe she could avoid the first few heaviest days and then try swimming with an ultra tampon when the pains have gone and the flow has eased a bit. The good news for your wife is that if she has more children (naturally) the pains and other horrible symptoms will ease even more.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted you to know that your wife is not alone, and that others do feel the same as her. I hope you have a lovely holiday whether it involves swimming or not :)
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tampons, a dark swimsuit and a dark towel will do her fine.
  • Options
    Me-CheetahMe-Cheetah Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell her to look up 'Norethisterone'. GP will prescribe it.

Edit... It delays the period

If she can't take this , she could try tranexamic acid or a NSAID to reduce the flow - I've been prescribed all three ( Norethisterone, Tanexamic acid and NSAIDs and I am unable to take the pill due to migraines)

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Periods-heavy/Pages/Treatment.aspx
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If it's really such an issue can she not simply refrain from swimming during those days?
  • Options
    TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll give this the benefit of the doubt for a moment.

I had such heavy periods as a teenager I'd pass out, also having to take iron tablets regularly. I was prescribed the pill at 14, which helped significantly, although when I came off the pill in my mid 20s for a few years I had the heavy periods again.

Personally, super tampons were fine, sometimes you'd need to change every few hours on the worse days. Compared to pads though, it's a no brainer, I've never known them to 'leak' and I'm suprised an adult woman would not have this know how.

Frankly I'm suprised with such bad periods anyone would use a pad, trying not to be graphicsm, but it must be disgusting, and grossly unhygienic imo.

I can't believe I'm gonna answer to this but I do. For my own reasons I do.
    Oh and I just wouldn't go swimming, to me that's a no brainer....mainly cause I can't swim lol
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Super strength tampons aren't an option, I have read about natural sea sponge protection - no personal experience however but I'm sure you can google & read reviews

http://www.stressnomore.co.uk/intimate-wellbeing/menstruation/sponge-tampons.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwrpGuBRCkqeXpn-rt5hsSJAC9rxrPOzCdVqe2TA1BzIkRCx310-X6B3E2v68fcFLOi5GP8hoC78Lw_wcB
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    We had a magnificant thread on mooncups on here. With the broken search function it's probably irretrievable now but it was one of the best. :o:D

Never say never http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=287383&highlight=mooncup ;-):p
    If it's really such an issue can she not simply refrain from swimming during those days?

This, personally I just wouldn't bother. Whenever I go on holiday I always check if I'm going to be on whilst I'm there and if so I'll just take two month's contraceptive pills back to back. If I've left it too late, too bad, I just won't swim on those days.
  • Options
    alr837alr837 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may not be too late to get medication, you dont need to go to the Dr, some pharmacists sell it - look at Lloyds pharmacy website - will cost though, and needs to start being taken 3 days before she's due.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    alr837 wrote: »
    It may not be too late to get medication, you dont need to go to the Dr, some pharmacists sell it - look at Lloyds pharmacy website - will cost though, and needs to start being taken 3 days before she's due.

What non-prescription medication is that? Sorry, I may have missed reference to it earlier in the thread.

ETA: just had a bit of a google, it's Norehisterone in case anyone else was unsure.
  • Options
    Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Po-ta-to wrote: »
    What non-prescription medication is that? Sorry, I may have missed reference to it earlier in the thread.

ETA: just had a bit of a google, it's Norehisterone in case anyone else was unsure.

Norethisterone is a prescription only medication. It can't be bought over the counter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nicola32 wrote: »
    Norehisterone is a prescription only medication. It can't be bought over the counter.

It seems that it's possible to get from Boots, Superdrug, Lloyds etc after an online consultation.

https://onlinedoctor.superdrug.com/norethisterone-tablets.html
    https://onlinedoctor.lloydspharmacy.com/uk/period-delay
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It seems that it's possible to get from Boots, Superdrug, Lloyds etc after an online consultation.

https://onlinedoctor.superdrug.com/norethisterone-tablets.html
    https://onlinedoctor.lloydspharmacy.com/uk/period-delay

I didn't realise that. Thanks.

I just knew that you can't walk into a pharmacy and buy it over the counter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nicola32 wrote: »
    I didn't realise that. Thanks.

I just knew that you can't walk into a pharmacy and buy it over the counter.

Hopefully it may be an option for the OP's wife.

When I was searching, I did find one thread about it which says that when you stop taking it, the period that follows a couple of days after is heavier than usual - essentially while you're taking it, the womb lining is continuing to grow so that extra also needs to come out!

Hmm, I was considering it for my holiday next month but that's put me off!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hopefully it may be an option for the OP's wife.

When I was searching, I did find one thread about it which says that when you stop taking it, the period that follows a couple of days after is heavier than usual - essentially while you're taking it, the womb lining is continuing to grow so that extra also needs to come out!

Hmm, I was considering it for my holiday next month but that's put me off!

I've never taken it to be honest. I sometimes think maybe it's not a good thing to interfere with nature.

Having said that, there's probably a lot of women who have taken it without any ill effects.
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the word 'ladies' really needed in the thread title, as an aside?