Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karl Pilkington absolutely stole the show for me - I laughed at most of his lines. I know he's playing himself, but why not? Karl's a very funny man.

I didn't know what to expect, but I really enjoyed the balance of humour and poignancy. I thought it was very respectful of the elderly and the effort that goes into care homes, when most of the news stories relating to care homes are focussed on neglect.
  • gemsmummygemsmummy Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do know how stupid this sounds right?

Channel 4 screen the pilot, if the response is good a series is made. Why does it just being a pilot mean its rubbish EVERY show has a pilot.

Confused. How is this the pilot?
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought it was very offensive won;t be watching again
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is that ironic or serious?
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member

Ok, not to worry.
  • BogzBogz Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gemsmummy wrote: »
    I won't watch, purely down to the fact that Gervais seems to think it funny to take the piss out of people. I know that is his sense of humour, but it comes across to me, as mean and 'oh, let's make this controversial'. Why can he not just play someone who works in an old folks home, why does he have to pull that face and act like he has learning difficulties, to me, it is just taking the piss out of those who do have learning difficulties, then you have Karl Pilkington, just being Karl Pilkington, no acting required.

It's clear you've not watched it because he's not taking the piss out of anyone.

It's more drama than comedy.
  • SnapeyDSSnapeyDS Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Thumbs up from me. Carls character is brilliant :D.

The man from the council approaching Carl and asking what is does is so true. So many business bosses have no idea what the quiet, weird looking guy in the tiny room does so they fire him and a week later the business falls apart as the computer systems fail or the deliveries stop coming in :D.

Not Rickys best stuff but I enjoyed it,
  • BogzBogz Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You must work for the council.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I loved the pet therapy aspect - it was so sweet and really highlighted what this show was wanting to get across - niceness and acceptance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thought it was excellent Ricky has done allot of research for this you can tell guy on community service i was thinking oh so he`s past his CRB then .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant stuff. Derek has never been billed as a laugh out loud comedy, but more as an offbeat comedy, and I think it lives up to this perfectly.

I am sure that the papers (Mail) will be filled with faux moral outrage tomorrow, and that's a shame. Personally, I think the only people who will be offended by Derek will be people with an existing dislike of Ricky Gervais.
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boring poorly written and not a single funny line in it. The Kev character is just Finchy from The Office.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    demfe wrote: »
    interesting idea and the script seems good so far - just not sure that Ricky Gervais' acting is up to it. The slouching and gurning just seems contrived.....

Totally agree with this. Good script. Gentle comedy. Has a great pace. But I too would rather see someone else playing 'Derek'. I also don't think Gervais' acting is up to it. I just think he can't help looking like he's taking the piss/having a laugh. One of the first thing's, is the belief in a character. I don't personally believe it. An actor who could portray the subtleties and vulnerabilities of the character, would have been a better choice.

Mind you, when you write and direct the whole thing. And have the clout that Mr Gervais has, you can do what you like.

One of my favourite self-indulgent scripts ever, was the self-penned 'Crocodile Shoes' starring Jimmy Nail.

Scene 1 EXT - Nashville

Yep. nice work when you can make it - sorry, get it.
  • grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't watch, purely down to the fact that Gervais seems to think it funny to take the piss out of people. I know that is his sense of humour, but it comes across to me, as mean and 'oh, let's make this controversial'. Why can he not just play someone who works in an old folks home, why does he have to pull that face and act like he has learning difficulties, to me, it is just taking the piss out of those who do have learning difficulties, then you have Karl Pilkington, just being Karl Pilkington, no acting required.

troll! troll! troll! troll!

If you'd at least watch it (incredible your posting your opinion of a show you didnt even watch Gumpppp!) you will find its not taking the piss, at times its very moving and makes you appreciate the elderly and the people who care for them, aswell as throwing a few laughs in.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member

Watch tonight's episode,the 'it's making fun of the disabled' criticism is actually addressed in the script by Derek himself.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The one bad point I have about it was Kev - I don't like him...but maybe I will end up liking him?
  • colgirlcolgirl Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I watched the original pilot and enjoyed it so I'm glad I watched tonight's episode too. My husband and I both really enjoyed it - for anyone who hasn't seen it, all I can say is that it in no way mocks people with disabilities - Derek is portrayed as a kindly, well loved person who you laugh with rather than at. It's not supposed to be a laugh a minute slapstick comedy, more a gentle, thoughtful little drama with some humourous moments. Karl Pilkington always just plays himself which is fine by me:D
  • HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever Derek is meant to be, I don't find it at all funny. I quite enjoyed the office, but mainly the interactions of the characters other than David Brent. I don't find RG's stand up funny either, which suggests to me that he should stick to writing & getting quality actors like martin freeman (& a few of the others) who made the office to do the acting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    junnja wrote: »
    Totally agree with this. Good script. Gentle comedy. Has a great pace. But I too would rather see someone else playing 'Derek'. I also don't think Gervais' acting is up to it. I just think he can't help looking like he's taking the piss/having a laugh. One of the first thing's, is the belief in a character. I don't personally believe it. An actor who could portray the subtleties and vulnerabilities of the character, would have been a better choice.
    Agreed, although I would say average script. Gervais' poor acting skills let the whole thing down for me. Since the pilot he has at least stopped gurning so much and sticking his jaw out to put on a silly voice but it's still poor. Portraying someone with learning difficulties believably is difficult and he's not up to it.
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    egghead1 wrote: »
    Boring poorly written and not a single funny line in it. The Kev character is just Finchy from The Office.

Well he's not, Finchy from the office was a bully. Kev isn't. The only thing they've got in common is an obsession with sex. Finchy had people hanging on his every word, Kev doesn't, Finchy had an astonishing misplaced arrogance, Kev doesn't, Finchy in fact would probably sneer at Kev as a 'shirker' and a 'scrounging bastard.' They are not alike.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally shocking ! I can't belive how atrocious and unfunny Derek was. Ricky Gervais has totally lost the plot. It all went down hill as far as i'm concerned after the 2nd series of The Office. The xmas specials were weak, Extras was average at best, Lifes To Short was a carbon copy piss take of David Brent with the filming style of The Office, but this time mocking a Dwarf, and now now we have Derek which is now looking like Gervais is out to mock retarded person with yet again the filming style of The Office as the backdrop.

I belive Ricky Gervais is a 1 horse wonder with The Office series 1 and 2 as the only thing on his c.v worth calling funny. I think he has belived his own hype to much in hollywood, which is why he is turning out shit like Derek.

To be fair though, an Idiot Abroad thanks to Karl Pinkington is comedy gold. And by the looks of it, Derek is only worth watching yet again thanks to the comedy genius of Karl Pinkington.

Watch this space. Karl Pinkington is the new Ricky Gervais, and we will see more of this guy. In fact I think he has the potential to be bigger than Gervais and Steven Merchant put together.
  • TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally shocking ! I can't belive how atrocious and unfunny Dave was. Ricky Gervais has totally lost the plot. It all went down hill as far as i'm concerned after the 2nd series of The Office. The xmas specials were weak, Extras was average at best, Lifes To Short was a carbon copy piss take of David Brent with the filming style of The Office, but this time mocking a Dwarf, and now now we have Dave which is now looking like Gervais is out to mock retarded person with yet again the filming style of The Office as the backdrop.

I belive Ricky Gervais is a 1 horse wonder with The Office series 1 and 2 as the only thing on his c.v worth calling funny. I think he has belived his own hype to much in hollywood, which is why he is turning out shit like Dave.

To be fair though, an Idiot Abroad thanks to Karl Pinkington is comedy gold. And by the looks of it, Dave is only worth watching yet again thanks to the comedy genius of Karl Pinkington.

Watch this space. Karl Pinkington is the new Ricky Gervais, and we will see more of this guy. In fact I think he has the potential to be bigger than Gervais and Steven Merchant put together.
    :confused: Who's Dave ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tylersnan wrote: »
    :confused: Who's Dave ?

Eh ? :confused:
  • I'm-a-painI'm-a-pain Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed everything about this with the exception of Kev. I just didn't like him one bit, and thought his contributions were unnecessary and a waste of time which could have been filled with more gentle humour. I did like Derek's take on the 'tistic' tests "Will it change me?" "no" "Then I don't wannit" (or words to that effect).

xx