Ripper Street

Comments

• rossi_drrossi_dr Posts: 1,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loved it.
    a long winter coming up stuck in the house the TV Is going to get some hammer
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    Wow, I thought it was just me. English is not my first language and I sometimes struggle with accents. But I really had difficulties with Ripper Street. Yes, some of the actors were definitely mumbling. And the tried-on London accent was just plain weird. I would have thought they would have spoken Cockney or East London in Victorian times. Not Home County posh (although at least I could understand him) or mumbling. The London accents are all quite loud, clear and fast.
  • Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macavity77 wrote: »
    I haven't watched the start of the new series yet. I do like Ripper Street as it has a very 'real feel' about it. The characters look quite authentically grubby with not too perfect clothing and the men appear not to have shaved with perfectly sharp Gillette blades. I mean that in a good way. Too many 'historical' series look like they have been unpacked out of boxes. In the White Queen for instance, although the series had it's merits, Elizabeth Woodville's 15th century wedding dress was straight from Pronuptia. Well OK not quite but I am sure it had a zip!
    Are you suggesting Victorian razor's weren't sharp enough to give a proper clean shave?
    This pretend grittyness is the same load of tosh on telly or films : it does not increase realism, it's just an effect for dumb viewers. Make 'em wear grey stuff. Put some black on kids' faces. Lazy.
    Look at real photos from the streets of a similar era : way too scary for the beeb, especially the criminal mugshots! They don't really want realism. They want viewers.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Are you suggesting Victorian razor's weren't sharp enough to give a proper clean shave?
    This pretend grittyness is the same load of tosh on telly or films : it does not increase realism, it's just an effect for dumb viewers. Make 'em wear grey stuff. Put some black on kids' faces. Lazy.
    Look at real photos from the streets of a similar era : way too scary for the beeb, especially the criminal mugshots! They don't really want realism. They want viewers.

BIB Can you imagine such a thing, wanting people to watch what they've produced, whatever next?
    Pfft it's a drama, plainly glossy drama, I don't think it's dirty enough either, it's there to entertain and it seems to entertain a few of us on here and probably a fair few thousand others.

I like the rather snazzy suits the detectives are wearing, don't know how historically accurate that is though, not particularly bothered.
  • jj2jj2 Posts: 4,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Star of Love/Hate and The Village ( BBC ) actress Charlie Murphy will also star in season two of Ripper Street www.independent.ie/entertainment/red-alert-lovehates-charlie-murphy-transforms-for-bbc-role-29708317.html
  • Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the rather snazzy suits the detectives are wearing, don't know how historically accurate that is though, not particularly bothered.
    I like the checked ones.
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Nice to see Damien Molony (Hal of Being Human) on it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're doing the "circus freak show" characters very well, sensitively and without being exploitative. Nice to see Joseph Merrick again.
  • ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goaty wrote: »

Ah, that's who it is. Thanks.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aaaaaaw poor Mr Merick. Is this guy in the prison cell the Victorian Hannibal Lecter?
  • eggplanteggplant Posts: 1,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaaaaaw poor Mr Merick. Is this guy in the prison cell the Victorian Hannibal Lecter?

Just what I thought. Nicely done though.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aaaaaaw poor Mr Merick.

He was from Leicester, one of our local celebrities
  • meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goaty wrote: »

Yum!

However, Joseph Merrick always makes me feel very sad, especially this portrayal as he seems like such a nice man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Witness protection for Mr Merick is going to be very difficult.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    OMG I can't watch...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    OMG he killed Mr Merrick. You barstard.
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    OMG I can't watch...

Poor Joseph...
  • meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could cry.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    :cry::cry::cry:
  • Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Was the real Joseph Merrick murdered?
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Scorpio2 wrote: »

no but that is the manner in which he died
  • JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    I've seen The Elephant Man and it was heart-breakingly sad ... watching this is almost as painful.
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member

No...not so far as is believed..he was found laid flat though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I think he was beaten to death. Or maybe that was just in the movie.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I keep thinking about what Karl Pilkington said about the elephant man.