Options

Colourful or clear Christmas tree lights?

2»

Comments

• Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Warm white. Colored is horrid, often in grotty pubs
    American pubs?
  • Options
    Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    Red
    The only acceptable colour for unneccesary lighting once it gets dark outside ;-)
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My tree has a 'Candy Land' sort of theme, so I picked colourful, bright lights.

If I had a different theme going on, like say, sticking to two or three colours then I would probably pick white lights.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clear - I think they look classier. They can also make your tree look like it has snow or frost on it if you squint a bit. :D
  • Options
    floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If I had a different theme going on, like say, sticking to two or three colours then I would probably pick white lights.

I'm not usually a fan of multicoloured lights / decorations as they can look like someone has just thrown the box of decorations at the tree but I think your tree looks beautifully decorated.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    floozie_21 wrote: »
    I'm not usually a fan of multicoloured lights / decorations as they can look like someone has just thrown the box of decorations at the tree but I think your tree looks beautifully decorated.
    Thank you! I bought the tree and all the embellishments in 2012 and spend hours choosing everything.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No lights at all as i have searched in vain for lights with black-out glass to match the tree and decorations and cannot get them anywhere:(
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coloured.

Clear is boooooooring
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    I change from year to year. This year I going to use coloured fairy lights, and a few white snowflake lights.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Either/or but not both. And certainly not single colour, and most definitely not the killer of Christmas spirit - blue LED lights.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've gone purple lights for my tree. To offset the pink and white/silver theme I've got going
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I prefer clear but it is great to have both.
  • Options
    hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    I must be having a bad night tonight as all my posts tonight seem to be on a downer.
    Anyway...I feel I don't want to put up a xmas tree this year.
    I've got two trees that I would put up around the house.
    This year I cant be bothered.
    I cant be bothered buying presents and I don't want to put up decorations.
    I didn't do the black Friday stuff and I hate commercial greed.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer sort of warm yellow-y lights. Not clear, and definitely not coloured because I think they either look tacky or childish.

Or at least, they do when I use them. I am not gifted when it comes to using colours or decorating so tend to go with plainer things which are easier to get right!
    Isn't Christmas a tacky, childish time of year though?
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wow, great tree Victoria :)
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    We have blue and white, I like white better than clear as they give off a more icy look.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clear, and ANYTHING but friggin' blue!
    Oh, and most certainly not flashing or strobing in any way, that's supremely tacky.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has to be warm white. Next door has put up flashing cool white lights on the outside of his house. They just don't suit an 1840s cottage. If they were on the inside they would give me a migraine! :(
    That said I may make the rear patio a taste free zone with large coloured bulbs :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    floozie_21 wrote: »
    Clear / white lights. I think colourful ones look tacky (just my opinion).

same here
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Candles, real ones.

Yeah but it's a real pain having to go outside every few minutes to relight the buggers.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Our tree is black and came with white lights already attached to it. Much easier than fiddling about untangling lights to attach seperately!

Each year i have a dilemma because i put the tree up and it looks great so i dont want to decorate it! Once its decorated it looks better but its so time consuming making sure all the decs are spread out.
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Candles, real ones.

....didn't people actually use real candles on their trees back in the day though? :o

I remember watching an episode of Blue Peter once, when they were showing how to make a hanging candelabra, from wire coat hangers. The thing was wrapped in tinsel and they made positions for 8 candles and told viewers to light a candle for every couple of days, leading up to Xmas!!

......before the days of Health & Safety of course!!! ^_^
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    Clear.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    Both. And solar too.