Options

Quick Question after self set up

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 808
Forum Member
✭✭
I have just done a self set up and have the box working. I think I have all the settings right, however can someone just confirm that universal HD has the black side bars or have i missed a setting. I have a widescreeen tv. The programme discriptions have a W in the info box so I asumed no black lines.
Sorry if this is a silly question, I just want to make sure I'm getting the full benifit

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    bewitched wrote: »
    I have just done a self set up and have the box working. I think I have all the settings right, however can someone just confirm that universal HD has the black side bars or have i missed a setting. I have a widescreeen tv. The programme discriptions have a W in the info box so I asumed no black lines.
    Sorry if this is a silly question, I just want to make sure I'm getting the full benifit

Thanks
    HD channels flag all programmes as "wide" as technically they are! There are no true 4:3 transmissions in HD as HD always has to be 16:9.
    Whether flagging 4:3 programmes as wide on HD channels is the right thing to do is open to debate, but it's not actually wrong to do so.
    What you're seeing is a 4:3 programme pillar-boxed into the 16:9 frame, which results in the sides of the frame being transmitted as black.
    There's been plenty of (quite heated) debate about this, including very recently here -
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1432031
    Personally I think the channels presenting 4:3 legacy material in this way is absolutely correct, but unfortunately you lose the option of manually stretching the picture to fill the screen, if that is your preference, when it's on an HD channel.
    So, in answer to your question, your set-up is almost certainly correct, the programme is just being transmitted like that!
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank, I thought I maybe had a setting wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just another question should I be worried that my standby light shows as amber and not red. I did the software update when doing the set up?
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amber is correct.

If you press and hold the power buttin for 5 seconds, it will go red, but in that state, it is totally off, and will not record (quick way to reboot box).

Amber means it is in power saving mode, and is off, but will record.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks