Options

Any news of Humax sorting out the EPG download issue?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 697
Forum Member
✭✭
Any news on Humax sorting out the awful "waiting for broadcast information" delays since the last update?

I have just written to them telling them to get a shift on. Its embarrassing - especially as many of my mates have bought a FoxSat-HDR on my recommendation!

Comments

• Options
    Monster900Monster900 Posts: 341
    Forum Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They took a year to get the last update out and didnt do a thing in the last 6 months.

So no, I wouldnt be checking every week to see if its available.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect they'll have to fix this one quickly as most customers won't know about the schedule, red trick. Of course, "quickly" is relative. May mean 3 months instead of a year. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should have been fixed within days, certainly no more than a week. Its not as if they have much to do as it was working before.
  • Options
    ian-dian-d Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are aware of the problem and have a fix in place, which they expect to roll-out in the next few weeks. I'd take that to mean end of October latest. This fix applies to the "please wait" issue only, no idea about the other bugs.
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    ian-d wrote: »
    They are aware of the problem and have a fix in place, which they expect to roll-out in the next few weeks. I'd take that to mean end of October latest. This fix applies to the "please wait" issue only, no idea about the other bugs.

The fix will probably break something else judging by passed updates.

One thing I'd like to see is not having to switch between Freesat and non-Freesat to get the non-freesat channels.
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Owens wrote: »
    One thing I'd like to see is not having to switch between Freesat and non-Freesat to get the non-freesat channels.

I think you can forget this - not really possible - the HDR needs to detect programme start and stop signals to initiate recordings - non freesat channels do not carry this data.
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    I think you can forget this - not really possible
    Of course it's possible -
    Freesat tell them not to do it!
    the HDR needs to detect programme start and stop signals to initiate recordings - non freesat channels do not carry this data.
    It doesn't need this information - it's perfectly happy using the clock if you tell it to - but all channels broadcast standard DVB EITpf data, which can be used for this purpose.
  • Options
    Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Owens wrote: »
    I agree, it would be great if it was a simple Remote button switch (such as pressing a combination of 2 or more buttons) to save having to go in and out of the menu and through all the choices each time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2Bdecided wrote: »

It doesn't need this information - it's perfectly happy using the clock if you tell it to - but all channels broadcast standard DVB EITpf data, which can be used for this purpose.

I think it is established that if you, with the channel editor add-on, designate non freesat channels as a freesat channel and tune to watch that channel, that scheduled freesat recordings fail to start. While I agree that the clock could be used thats a big step in the wrong direction.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had a reply from Humax saying that a fix is almost ready.

As you say.....whether we believe them.
  • Options
    Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spoke to the Freesat help desk yesterday on another matter and they also said the patch would be available shortly - so presumably they believe them.
  • Options
    richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ian-d wrote: »

I hope it is mid October at the earliest - I'm away from home so if the update happens then it will overwrite the modded firmware and I'll lose remote FTP access :eek:
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be also nice if they included a feature to record the buffer if an entire programme is on it and you forgot to record it and only found out after it started that it was on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is established that if you, with the channel editor add-on, designate non freesat channels as a freesat channel and tune to watch that channel, that scheduled freesat recordings fail to start. While I agree that the clock could be used thats a big step in the wrong direction.
    That's because the channel editor is a nasty hack.

It's trivial to use the Freesat accurate record data where it's available (it's just the Freesat variant of the EITpf), and fall back to the clock (or non-Freesat EITpf) where it's not.

Freesat demands that non Freesat channels are kept separate - it's as simple as that.

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    Just tried to set my Humax to record Spooks and the EPG wouldn't download and the box froze so I had to unplug it from the mains and then back in..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    It would be also nice if they included a feature to record the buffer if an entire programme is on it and you forgot to record it and only found out after it started that it was on.

If you use raydons firmware. You can just rename the 0.ts file and then you have the program from the buffer. Only problem is you will have whatever is on the buffer, so if it's been on 2 hours you will have 2 hours worth of recording. It's a workaround until or if they ever include the feature.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's because the channel editor is a nasty hack.

It's trivial to use the Freesat accurate record data where it's available (it's just the Freesat variant of the EITpf), and fall back to the clock (or non-Freesat EITpf) where it's not.

Freesat demands that non Freesat channels are kept separate - it's as simple as that.

Cheers,
    David.

Well one way and another you agree with me - it's not going to happen. If tuned (by whatever method) to a non freesat channel - freesat recordings don't start.

While I would not call changing one flag "A nasty hack" you are entitled to your opinion.

Cheers David.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well one way and another you agree with me - it's not going to happen. If tuned (by whatever method) to a non freesat channel - freesat recordings don't start.

While I would not call changing one flag "A nasty hack" you are entitled to your opinion.

Cheers David.

David if you use non-freesat mode in the normal way then last time I checked provided you enter non-freesat prior to any 15 mins pre record period the box warns you, terminates any ongoing non-freesat and returns to freesat mode to make the recording. Additionally if put into sby in non-freesat a scheduled later recording will also switch it back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i gather this is a 'workaround'? please advise if this doesn't work as i dont have access to a Humax myself....

Thanks to Tivu.....

'do not Press Guide, but instead Press Schedule then Red. This brings you to the cached EPG from which you can perform the same functions as you could have done by pressing Guide and waiting for an eternity.'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You said "not really possible - the HDR needs to detect programme start and stop signals to initiate recordings " - that's what I disagree with. I'm not saying it works, I'm saying the reason it doesn't work isn't something intrinsic - it's just the way Humax chose to implement it, and it won't change because Freesat doesn't allow the functionality you want.
    I was contrasting the channel editor with Raydon's firmware hack. The latter works well (unless you have a Sony TV!). The former is really easy to break.

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David if you use non-freesat mode in the normal way then last time I checked provided you enter non-freesat prior to any 15 mins pre record period the box warns you, terminates any ongoing non-freesat and returns to freesat mode to make the recording. Additionally if put into sby in non-freesat a scheduled later recording will also switch it back.
    That's my experience too.

Unfortunately I switched to non-Freesat mode within that 15 minutes, without realising a Freesat recording was due, and of course that recording didn't happen.

I just don't use non-Freesat mode now. I wasn't aware (until this thread) and non-Freesat channels hacked into the Freesat EPG could also trigger the issue - I'll uninstall that when I get chance!

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I suspect they'll have to fix this one quickly as most customers won't know about the schedule, red trick. . :)

What you are saying is that most people don't read the handbook that came with the machine. Schedule - red is in there.

Have to admit thought, I hadn't read it and only found out about it on this forum.
  • Options
    jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If this is true, then why do channel 4 always mess up the start and stop times of all there programs, it happens on my humax as well as my ps3 playtv.. Everytime I record a program from them I get the whole ad break before the program and miss the last few minuites of the program at the end, it's so anoying!! No other broadcaster seems to have this problem..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4 are rubbish with their timings.

Do they start programs late on purpose to get people to watch an extra ad break?