Options

Ha ha ha... my phone is *ANCIENT*!

KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So I'm sitting at the computer when my phone goes beep beep beep. Orange has sent a message saying my phone has picked up T-Mobile's service signal for the first time and I can use their network. No big deal, I knew that they were merging them.

What's interesting is my phone doesn't show the network as "T-Mobile", it shows it as...

One-2-One (click for pic)

I'm thinking... yeah, I remember them. Guessed (correctly) that they must have been the ones that got taken over and renamed by T-Mobile and that my phone had the old name because it was bought before the takeover.

But the thing is, I checked it out and apparently they renamed the network in 2002, i.e. nine years ago. My phone is still living in 2002.... well, actually, it's probably living in mid-2001 when I bought it. :D

Damn, I knew that thing was ancient, but still. Seems a bit weird, the phone equivalent of a haunted old radio that still picks up shows from the 1930s. You feel that you could call up someone from 2001 and warn them about 9/11 or something. :eek:

Comments

• Options
    huwdwhuwdw Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is down to info on the sim not the phone - is your sim as old as the phone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    huwdw wrote: »
    I think this is down to info on the sim not the phone - is your sim as old as the phone?

Yep, the sim is the same age as the phone. Both are museum pieces now, but still in use.

BTW, was reading this thread and surprised to see more than one other person is still using a 3310.
  • Options
    acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wrong, the carrier names are stored in a file and part of the phones firmware.

both old phones and new!
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    My everyday phone is a Ericsson PH337 - date coded Wk 33 1996 (August).

So it will be 15 this year.

Still works perfectly and does all it ever did. Mine says One2One too.

I was on the Bronze tariff until I decided to go on PAYG.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if it has manual network selection, you might be able to choose Cellnet as well...
  • Options
    tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a phone sometimes just show 234-xx, meaning network xx in the UK. The phone firmware carries a mapping between the country and network codes and a "friendly" name to display.

List of country and network codes here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Network_Code
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member

Is the OP as old as the phone? :D:p;)

Thats one old phone you got there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    Is the OP as old as the phone? :D:p;)

Well, if I was the same age as the phone, I'd be coming up for my 10th birthday... so it's only really old by phone standards. :)
    ACU wrote: »
    Thats one old phone you got there.

Compared to people who replace their phone every year or two? Yep, undeniably- that's why I posted originally (even though I don't have a problem with it myself, else I'd have replaced it!)

But compared to one of the respondents above who said that they were still using a 15 year old Ericsson as their everyday phone, it's really not so interesting!
  • Options
    FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are you still paying the 2001 tariff prices? As if!
  • Options
    HectorHector Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a similarly ancient Ericsson T28 World (?2000) which I keep in my car as a spare phone. It usually has a PAYG Vodafone SIM in it but if I insert a 2 year old O2 SIM card it displays BTCELLNET! Can't try Orange or T-Mobile SIMS as is GSM 900 and 1900 only (not 1800).

Although I have had 3 other phones between then and my current one, I use this ancient one as a spare for 2 reasons. Firstly, I think it's a brilliant design and was unbelievably small in 2000 (still is!) and secondly its Lithium-Polymer battery (?the first consumer use of such a battery). It still retains most of its charge for about 9 months. When fully charged it will last more than 2 days on standby. Gets fully discharged and recharged at least once a year. Also have a higher capacity NiMH battery for it (3 days standby) but it goes flat within 6 weeks, as tends to be he case with most of the batteries for the other old phones.