Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Russell? RTD or another Russell?

Jane Russell. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wish they would just announce it and put us out of our misery.its probably not a big deal anyway.
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    Signature perfumes for each Doctor?? What a cracking idea!

Gotta be Hai! (Venusian) Karate for Pertwee... and Davison's would have to be something fairly inocuous with a hint of linseed oil.

They could be used with Barrowman's 'HIM' male grooming range, for the ultimate DW experience :D
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    No evidence was presented.

Which is completely different to stating that people made comments based on no evidence. Some may well have done and some may not have done.

It is just uneducated guesswork.
    Forum Member
    loonattic wrote: »
    wish they would just announce it and put us out of our misery.its probably not a big deal anyway.

If it is the JK Rowling announcement, as speculated, it certainly isn't.
  • TopovTopov Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    M@nterik wrote: »
    To be clear he did not state on GB that no missing episodes have been recovered.

He stated that no missing episodes had been returned to the BBC and the RT are not working on them for imminent release.

He was quite specific in what he said and the poster who asked him specifically if material was elsewhere got a ban for his trouble and the thread was pruned.

Semantics. You know what he meant.
  • Richard_WatsonRichard_Watson Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    If it is the JK Rowling announcement, as speculated, it certainly isn't.

In the Real World one of the biggest selling authors of all time writing a Doctor Who story would very much be big news.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,929
    Forum Member
    Which is completely different to stating that people made comments based on no evidence. Some may well have done and some may not have done.

It is just uneducated guesswork.

Uneducated guesswork and speculation is fine but some people seem to be so utterly convinced by their own theories that they keep on believing them even when there are a number of indicators that appear to show that isn't the case. It just seems strange to me because all they're really doing is setting themselves up for disappointment.

Personally, I prefer to err on the side of caution because then I can be pleasantly surprised if some missing episodes do turn up one day :)
    Forum Member
    In the Real World one of the biggest selling authors of all time writing a Doctor Who story would very much be big news.

To you maybe.

To me I would be more interested in the local "old woman finds lost cat" type of story.
    Forum Member
    Uneducated guesswork and speculation is fine but some people seem to be so utterly convinced by their own theories that they keep on believing them even when there are a number of indicators that appear to show that isn't the case. It just seems strange to me because all they're really doing is setting themselves up for disappointment.

Personally, I prefer to err on the side of caution because then I can be pleasantly surprised if some missing episodes do turn up one day :)

Well look forward to a pleasant surprise.
    Forum Member
    Topov wrote: »
    Semantics. You know what he meant.

Not really but if you want to decide what Paul actually meant as opposed to what he said then that is fine.

He was asked to clarify this in the thread on that point by a poster now canned for their troubles. Episodes would not only go to the Beeb.
    Forum Member
    To you maybe.

To me I would be more interested in the local "old woman finds lost cat" type of story.

You're perfectly entitled to be interested or uninterested in whatever you like. Don't try and pretend it would be a big news story though.

Certaiinly far more newsworthy to far more people than "musty old Black & White episodes found" would be.
    Forum Member
    Not really but if you want to decide what Paul actually meant as opposed to what he said then that is fine.

He was asked to clarify this in the thread on that point by a poster now canned for their troubles. Episodes would not only go to the Beeb.

Just out of curiosity where else would they go?
    Forum Member
    Well look forward to a pleasant surprise.

Only if you prepare for a disappointment :)
    Forum Member
    Only if you prepare for a disappointment :)

I am not going to be disappointed.

I saw some missing material that is being returned soon, to its natural home, earlier in the week.

Not Dr Who I hasten to add.

But it will make a fanbase very very happy.
    Forum Member

I saw some missing material that is being returned soon, to its natural home, earlier in the week.

Now I'm even more confused than ever :)
    Forum Member
    Now I'm even more confused than ever :)

Missing material is coming back all of the time.

It is not just about Doctor Who.

Remember a couple of years ago the missing material found in the congress archive.

Or the TOTP VT of David Bowie singing Jean Genie.

A couple of TOTP episodes found last year (those fans are hardcore compared to Dr Who fans).

Lots of stuff comes back every year and from a variety of sources and it goes to a variety of places.

I know people who have helped return quite a bit of (non Who) material. Same people who told me about Airlock and Underwater Menace several months before the announcement as well as Tunnel under the World and Level 7 (both of which I saw before they were back at the Beeb). I know I am quite fortunate in that respect.

All of the returns are culturally signifcant AFAIC.

Quite frankly I would rather see missing episodes of Out of the Unknown, Paul Temple, Callan or Public Eye come back but I am happy when Who comes back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But it will make a fanbase very very happy.

what was this material can you say? some out of the unknown would be good.high time it(whats left)came out on dvd.i have some but the quality aint that great.
    Forum Member
    loonattic wrote: »
    what was this material can you say? some out of the unknown would be good.high time it(whats left)came out on dvd.i have some but the quality aint that great.

Snap on OOTU.

It was great when Level 7 and Tunnel under the World returned but that was a while ago.

I believe there are major rights issues with OOTU as many were adaptations by established writers and, as such, makes a DVD release near impossible. I believe it has been considered a while ago.

As for the find, it is music and variety.
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Russell? RTD or another Russell?
    RTD, obviously.
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    As for the find, it is music and variety.

Boorriingg.
    Forum Member
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    Boorriingg.

It is far from boring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    44 missing episodes discovered will be big. JK Rolling writing a episode is like who cares.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    44 missing episodes discovered will be big. JK Rolling writing a episode is like who cares.

A lot of people - especially the 'casual audience', which makes up the vast majority of the viewing audience.

So... Big news then, if it is the news to be announced, that is.
    Forum Member

It never ceases to amaze how out of touch with reality some Doctor Who fans can be. Who, outside of a couple of thousand people, will care about any missing episodes being recovered?