Radiohead, new album - IN RAINBOWS!!

Comments

• crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Yes, worst group ever, that's why "OK Computer" came top in a 2005 Channel 4 Best Album of All Time poll, 4th in the NME All Time Top 100 Albums poll and featured in Time magazine's Top 100 Albums of All Time list and "The Bends" featured in the Observer's 50 Albums That Changed Music list etc. etc.

Got it for a fiver in a HMV sale but returned it next day. The guy looked as if I'd come from Mars when I said it was awful.:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got it for a fver in a HMV sale but returned it next day. The guy looked as if I'd come from Mars when I said it was awful.:eek:

which album, OK Computer or The Bends? How did you end up buying one of the most popular Radiohead albums and not like it. I can understand if you bought one of the latter releases it may have been a more challenging listen but those 2 albums are very accessible. PS HMV staff usually look a bit funny.
  • ArchaonArchaon Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn I need to get another itunes card!

It won't be on itunes, you have to buy it from their site. I don't think any of their albums are on there, actually.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RegCox wrote: »
    which album, OK Computer or The Bends? How did you end up buying one of the most popular Radiohead albums and not like it. I can understand if you bought one of the latter releases it may have been a more challenging listen but those 2 albums are very accessible. PS HMV staff usually look a bit funny.

OK Computer. Just found it a long wail. Must be me then. Only played it once so maybe that was my mistake, should have persevered. Actually I do like the song Just by them. Have heard it on the radio and that's okay.
  • Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Wow this came out of nowhere! :eek: Cant wait! :D:D:D

Damn I need to get another itunes card!

Completely out of the blue, isn't it? :)

I think it'll be exclusively though their site, not itunes. For the downloads you pay what you want, which is a fantastic idea - they've made all the money they need, most money in music is made in touring these days anyway, and without a record label they're completely free creatively.

Anyway, being Radiohead, I think it'll be worth getting the £40 box set thing in December. You get the downloads for free when you buy that, too.

I saw them perform a couple of the new songs live and they're really good. NME have put up all the live performances they can find on YouTube:
    http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=10&title=radiohead_hear_the_new_album_here&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Archaon wrote: »
    It won't be on itunes, you have to buy it from their site. I don't think any of their albums are on there, actually.

Crap! I've got to wait till December for the physical release!? :cry:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I've forked out for the box set - well worth it for all the stuff that you get in it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant news. :eek: I'm shocked only 9 days to go. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delgado wrote: »
    Have you noticed the prices?

Discbox = £40

Download = £ it's up to you

So you choose the price for the digital download yourself. You could buy the album for 1p if you want.

Certainly an interesting way of doing it :cool:.

I'd want them to pay me to download it....:D
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK Computer. Just found it a long wail. Must be me then. Only played it once so maybe that was my mistake, should have persevered. Actually I do like the song Just by them. Have heard it on the radio and that's okay.

Well duh, I'm sure if I'd only listened to OKC once I wouldn't be a fan of theirs still. Obviously some people are never going to like them, but the same goes for ANY band. However, you can't say they're the 'worst band ever', you just can't. Since 1994 they've been up there with the best British bands of all-time.
  • zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love this quote, I hope it does make a few people shake in their suits!

"That's the interesting part of all this," says a producer who works primarily with American rap artists, if you can pay whatever you want for music by one of the best bands in the world, why would you pay $13 dollars or $.99 cents for music by somebody less talented? Once you open that door and start giving music away legally, I'm not sure there's any going back"

Translation: "If this works, it's time to panic"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zounds wrote: »
    Translation: "If this works, it's time to panic"

Even as a Radiohead fan, much like Prince did was his last album, I believe this to be yet another stunt by the "haves" to rake up some publicity.

It's a nice situation to start "giving away" products when you're at the top of the food chain, not so when your on the bottom rung.

Plus, wasn’t it those very same nasty men the record companies that put them in this enviable situation where then can afford not to worry about profit making? A case of biting the hand the once fed them rather handsomely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dark Drums wrote: »
    Even as a Radiohead fan, much like Prince did was his last album, I believe this to be yet another stunt by the "haves" to rake up some publicity.
    I don't know what you mean by 'stunt by the haves' - What they've done is basically leaked their new album themselves and asking for donations from people that would normally download it torrent style, smart move.

It's the distribution of the CD and pack and not distributing via Itunes etc... that's the biggest departure, It'll be interesting to see how the CD does chart wise missing out the middlemen.

Doesn't surprise me that they've headed this way, here's a quote from Thom, 1997 about Karma Police:

"This is a song against bosses, f*ck middle management!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't even begin to describe how excited I am about this :D

I'll happily pay what I would pay for the physical CD in the shops.

Re whether this is a stunt or not. Bands/musicians make very little money from physical record sales anyway - the vast portion of the profit goes straight to to the record companies. Bands make money out of touring and royalties from air play. So the only people to lose out from bands following Radiohead's lead will be the executives at the top of the tree of Sony/EMI etc and the company share holders. Fact is with modern technology/internet etc bands don't need record companies any more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re whether this is a stunt or not. Bands/musicians make very little money from physical record sales anyway - the vast portion of the profit goes straight to to the record companies.

I appreciate this. But while I admire the gesture, I somehow wonder if they would have tried such a thing at the start of their careers.

As for the grand gesture of the end of record companies, this is simply not going to happen. Not for the foreseeable future at least. Internet "hype" will get you so far but you still need the money and the clout to promote and get you out on tours and on the radio etc...

The internet is a powerful tool, but it's not the be and end all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The internet is a powerful tool, but it's not the be and end all.
    Maybe - but this is a very interesting 'test'.

A little more info:

So far, EMI's Capitol Records has released the band's seven previous albums, of which the past three have charted in the top three in the US. However, 'Radiohead' are not relying upon any label, wholesaler and retail operations this time.

No advance copies of In Rainbow are being made available to the media or radio stations. The band has neither chosen a distributor for the physical copy of their album, not have they concluded any deal with any digital service.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate this. But while I admire the gesture, I somehow wonder if they would have tried such a thing at the start of their careers.
    That's a moot point though imo as the music industry/climate is very different now to what it was back then. Even if this could only work for an artist that's already very successful, a band like Radiohead have earned that success and I don't really see how anyone could criticise any artist for taking control of their own music/careers.

I agree that it's quite an interesting test to see what will happen when a big, popular band does something like this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delgado wrote: »
    I agree that it's quite an interesting test to see what will happen when a big, popular band does something like this.

To be honest I admire and understand Radiohead's stance on this. What worries me though is the far reaching effect it will have on those artists in a not so fortunate position. In their defence of the record companies they are more then someone who just slaps some music on a disc and watches the money fly in.

Anyway, the sad irony is, as a Radiohead fan and CD buyer I'm left with the prospect of forking out the full amount , which at the moment is £40 because you have to buy the double CD with the vinyl. Which is a hell of allot more then I would have had to pay to buy the album through the normal channels.

Monopoly anyone?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    FWIW, Radiohead's management company said yesterday that a CD of the new album will be available through normal channels in January.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've ordered mine - for nowt :o

I've spent plenty on Radiohead in the past :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have in rainbows and a beautiful sounding thing it is....
    Nude sounds great.
  • DNZ711DNZ711 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    60% Downloading... and getting moire excited by the second!

Paid a 5er as I think that is a good price to pay for any record, plus Thom Yorke has guided me through some rough times.

THANKS THOM and RADIOHEAD!!:cool:
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it good?! First reviews?!
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    XFM London are playing the whole album in full from midday according to Alex Zane this morning if anyone is interested.
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    MP3 160kbps is the encoding. No DRM as far as I can see. Only a 48MB download too (and surprisingly wasn't too much of a wait to download) I did pay um.......zulch :o:o I'm sure I'll listen to it a bit later.