Options

Heart GRRRRRR (again !)

Comments

• Options
    jon craigjon craig Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radioman2 wrote: »
    I find it sad that someone reports hearing the same track repeated within a short space of time and they're called a liar.Do those calling him a liar spend all day listening to every single outlet for Heart,if not what evidence is there to substantiate such a vexatious statement.If you're basing it on a log lifted from a computer everyone knows they're not infallable.

But the issue here is that there was three separate forms of proof - one may be fallible but that fact that all three provided the same data speaks for itself.

They were:

A copy of the Heart Log, a report from Nielsen, the company that monitors airplay and report on what is actually played, and
    the actual audio was also posted

With respect that it is pretty conclusive!!
  • Options
    Miss SixtyMiss Sixty Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it sad that someone reports hearing the same track repeated within a short space of time and they're called a liar.Do those calling him a liar spend all day listening to every single outlet for Heart,if not what evidence is there to substantiate such a vexatious statement.If you're basing it on a log lifted from a computer everyone knows they're not infallable.

Well, last time he reported hearing the same track - it's become a regular thing for this guy - the following happened.

1. The head of music of Heart posted on here to flatly deny it and produced the music log as evidence, proving the claim to be a lie.

2. A programme controller of another group of stations posted on here with a link to an MP3 of that morning's Heart output, proving the claim to be a lie.

3. Two or three posters who listen to Heart posted on here to say they hadn't heard the two tracks repeated within 10 minutes, proving the claim to be a lie.

4. A BBC radio producer posted a log from Nielsen showing that indeed, there was no repetition of the same song within 10 minutes, proving the claim to be a lie.

Those four bits of evidence are enough to convict Andy Birkenhead of lying - certainly in my courtroom!

Now, I've also just checked the Heart music logs. I can also confirm that there is no Summer Nights scheduled.

And knowing Heart's programme director as I do, there's no way he'd allow be sloppy enough to allow Summer Nights to be scheduled in snowy December, not even as a sick joke!
  • Options
    jimmyladjimmylad Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss Sixty wrote: »
    You didn't hear it - that's what is annoying.

Just like you didn't hear the song you claimed you heard on Heart last week - remember?

Someone on here actually downloaded an MP3, someone else proved the playlist, and a third person downloaded the information RadioMonitor.

They proved you to be a liar.

You're obviously hearing things - but not on Heart. :rolleyes:

Do you have proof?
  • Options
    Miss SixtyMiss Sixty Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimmylad wrote: »
    Do you have poof?

Poof? No.

I don't have any homosexual. :p
  • Options
    radioman2radioman2 Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Nielsen monitor every outlet including DAB then,must be a sad job.
    Glad I don't work there I'd do my nut.

jon craig wrote: »
    But the issue here is that there was three separate forms of proof - one may be fallible but that fact that all three provided the same data speaks for itself.

They were:

A copy of the Heart Log, a report from Nielsen, the company that monitors airplay and report on what is actually played, and
    the actual audio was also posted

With respect that it is pretty conclusive!!
  • Options
    jon craigjon craig Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Nielsen monitor every outlet including DAB then,must be a sad job.
    Glad I don't work there I'd do my nut.

It works through sound recognition technology using thumbprints of tracks - not through dozens of guys and girls sitting with headphones on and a clipboard in their hands!
  • Options
    radioman2radioman2 Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So no human evidence then.Shame really,just look what happens sometimes when stations rely too heavily on computer playout systems.

jon craig wrote: »
    It works through sound recognition technology using thumbprints of tracks - not through dozens of guys and girls sitting with headphones on and a clipboard in their hands!
  • Options
    tini canstini cans Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    So no human evidence then.Shame really,just look what happens sometimes when stations rely too heavily on computer playout systems.

Oh please! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...including the track that you heard (twice).

How would you know when you claim you've "only" heard Heart "on a couple of occassions"? :rolleyes:

Oh and I'm not in Scotland either, by the way.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Very protective of Heart on this forum, aren't we?

You're going to need more than fabricated information to win an argument against this lot OP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    Miss Sixty wrote: »

1. The head of music of Heart posted on here to flatly deny it and produced the music log as evidence, proving the claim to be a lie.

Heart has a "head of music"
    I would imagine that is a part time role ?
  • Options
    Crunch & RollCrunch & Roll Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Last week the OP posted the same thing about another track. As he provided the time he'd heard this song it was very easy to go to the logger and download the audio from that days output. That proved that the said track wasn;t even played once let alone twice as claimed. That is proof that the OP must have been mistaken.

No one has ever disputed that the OP heard the song but it was proved that he didn't heard it on the station he claimed to be listening to.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP is either trolling or listened to another station, which is more than likely being in Birkenhead.
  • Options
    mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in the mxr catchment area.for the North West and when Heart London have ad breaks we get fill in music tracks, The logs that some of you are showing are correct, but they do not show when an ad break is on, I notice from the logs that are provided that they are for 97.1 and Heart London, not the Dab service for the North west, so when a fill in track is provided it may well be "Summer Nights" .

But the people must leave the fill in tracks for the ad breaks, and it could be that this fill in track was played out twice, when an ad break on Londons Heart was being played.

But the poster did not say if its the Fm or Dab service in his work place he is hearing.

If it is the fm service I have to agree with the people who are showing the logs on here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heart has a "head of music"
    I would imagine that is a part time role ?

That hilarious old chestnut again.

Far more effort goes into music programming on a station with tight rotations than slack ones. Clearly if you're playing the wrong songs that often it will kill your figures, so it requires a lot more time and effort to ensure you're getting it right.

By contrast, any cretin with a vague knowledge of music can chuck 6,000 random songs into Selector without using research. It's throwing shit at a wall and hoping some will stick. Rotations, clocks etc. aren't all that important because you don't need to disguise music repetition.

Programming a station with fast turnovers - putting the right songs into rotation, minimising burn by moving them through hours and dayparts, and scheduling them to maximise impact - is a real skill, combining art and science.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    tini cans wrote: »
    How would you know when you claim you've "only" heard Heart "on a couple of occassions"? :rolleyes:

Oh and I'm not in Scotland either, by the way.

I know where you are - I am intelligent enough to be able to read your profile beneath your username on each post.

Yes, I do KNOW and have TAKEN IN what I HEARD on just those couple of occasions, I am not a vegetable. I am someone who is able to ascertain what goes on with some things fairly quickly, without requiring too much repitition, exposure or necessarily a need to closely analyse detail, especially when, in the likes of Heart's case, there is nothing much to analyse ... a bit like an empty box.

Now, to back-up the OP's point, which many of you have (unsurprisingly) failed to grasp or just want to completely ignore, in many areas of the UK (and there is a fair bit of it north of Watford) Heart is not available on FM and has no "local" service. Instead some people can only hear Heart via DAB. It is the DAB service for which commercial breaks are replaced by a track - and there are only a few tracks which are used to fill this time. It is that track which the poster (and I) have heard and which does get repeated in quick succession.

I must point out as well though that a couple of years ago Galaxy did exactly the same thing on their DAB feed.

The OP is totally correct, 100% - and the behaviour of many of the rest of you in your attempt to talk him down are not surprising in the slightest. Oh how I love Digital Spy for that, it shows people up.
  • Options
    fluffsta007fluffsta007 Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    Heart has a head of music? You got to be kidding!
    This must be either a job which requires a few hours of work every month. I say this because I am stuck at work listening to Heart (I have no choice) and the playlist has the same tracks almost everyday give or take a track or two.

If you took out Robbie Williams, Take That and Buble I wonder what would be left?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    You seem to have swallowed the entire gamut of buzzwords relating to commercial radio hook line and sinker.Shame you chose to forget<if you ever knew>the real meaning of the word "Cretin"it is a medical term to describe those with a certain congenital condition suffered through no fault of the person suffering it.
    Your analogy relating to those that dare to have more than a limited amount from their library is however amusing,it's easy for a child to build a jigsaw puzzle that consists of 100 pieces,not so easy if there's thousands.
    If only you'd escaped the induction or is it indoctrination that causes you to become angry when someone dares to pass comment on the beloved cardiac unit.
    Steve Buck wrote: »

Far more effort goes into music programming on a station with tight rotations than slack ones. Clearly if you're playing the wrong songs that often it will kill your figures, so it requires a lot more time and effort to ensure you're getting it right.

By contrast, any cretin with a vague knowledge of music can chuck 6,000 random songs into Selector without using research. It's throwing shit at a wall and hoping some will stick. Rotations, clocks etc. aren't all that important because you don't need to disguise music repetition.

Programming a station with fast turnovers - putting the right songs into rotation, minimising burn by moving them through hours and dayparts, and scheduling them to maximise impact - is a real skill, combining art and science.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also heard Heart 100.7 play the same "track" twice in quick succession.......

How DARE they play the Heart Breakfast jingle twice in the same hour?!?!?!
    :rolleyes::D

Andy Birkenhead.........you gotta love him!!!!:eek:
  • Options
    Crunch &amp; RollCrunch &amp; Roll Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mjdj1689 wrote: »
    I live in the mxr catchment area.for the North West and when Heart London have ad breaks we get fill in music tracks, The logs that some of you are showing are correct, but they do not show when an ad break is on, I notice from the logs that are provided that they are for 97.1 and Heart London, not the Dab service for the North west, so when a fill in track is provided it may well be "Summer Nights" .

But the people must leave the fill in tracks for the ad breaks, and it could be that this fill in track was played out twice, when an ad break on Londons Heart was being played.

But the poster did not say if its the Fm or Dab service in his work place he is hearing.

If it is the fm service I have to agree with the people who are showing the logs on here.

This was an explanation offered last time when the op said he was listening to London but on DAB in the north west and heard the same track one after the other. He denied that it was an ad filler and by posting the music log, what Music Control had logged and the audio from radio monitor it was proved that Heart had not played the song once let alone twice.

This is why we're not exactly rushing to believe this poster. If it was the same ad filler twice in an hour then it would have still been logged somewhere.
  • Options
    PowerplayPowerplay Posts: 4,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also heard Heart 100.7 play the same "track" twice in quick succession.......

How DARE they play the Heart Breakfast jingle twice in the same hour?!?!?!
    :rolleyes::D

Andy Birkenhead.........you gotta love him!!!!:eek:

I hear Andy Birkenhead is a stand up comic, and is the support act for Al Murray! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Powerplay wrote: »
    I hear Andy Birkenhead is a stand up comic, and is the support act for Al Murray! :D

Haha, good one! Is Gutless Wonder his PA? :D
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, perleeeze!

You've obviously spent too long in The Industry.

There are indeed many jobs in this world that are a real skill "combining art and science" but programming an uber MOR station like Heart, with it's miniscule playlist I do not believe is one of them.

FFS, everything on Heart's list is magnolia emulsion. Magnolia never clashes with magnolia.
  • Options
    wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rotations, clocks etc. aren't all that important because you don't need to disguise music repetition.

just about says it all really:rolleyes:

can you imagine any other business where they have to "disguise" what they do?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    wckartist wrote: »
    just about says it all really:rolleyes:

can you imagine any other business where they have to "disguise" what they do?

I love reading all the comments, that you all put on here, so here's a question for you ALL ?
    How many of you work in radio ? and how many wish they did ?

Commercial radio is a business ! Yes ILR's should be 24/7 local, but come in the 21st Century, the world has changed, and this cost of running radio stations is very expensive.

People listen to the radio for about 45 mins a day, not like anoraks who listen 24/7.

Global is there to MAKE MONEY, just like McDonalds, they just happen to play music, rather than serve food.

Global have increased reach on most stations, and incrased revenue on most stations, so JOB DONE ..

If you dont like Heart/Capital then set your own internet station up or buy a radio station, and see if you can do a better job than Global.....

and secondly Get a Life, its only Radio, you dont have to listen