Peter Kay's Car Share (iPlayer - All Episode Discussion + Spoilers)

Comments

• Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Famous for recycling, here's the JFK joke that he used in Car Share, from his first TV performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd3f_3EWk1s#t=5m10s
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Famous for recycling, here's the JFK joke that he used in Car Share, from his first TV performance

All comedians recycle though, Some jokes work better in different settings
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

I haven't watched it, but what's your point?
    Comedian recycles joke, well that's been happening since comedy started.
    Some of us have even re-watched episodes of this within the same week, I rewound from the end of the episode to watch the same gags, I was still laughing from the first viewing.
    In fact some punters will pay good money to see old material they know word for word repeated, see Monty Python.

In fact, earlier today someone put up a thread about a Lee Mack gig being repeated on More 4 tonight.
    I remember one of his later standup gigs being aired, near the end he did a bit of Q & A, a couple of punters made reference to 'his Nan' a 'bit' from his earlier show, they basically invited him to do the old material again, he didn't though.
  • Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't watched it, but what's your point?
    Comedian recycles joke, well that's been happening since comedy started.

Some more than others
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Some more than others

Clearly, I don't give a $hit, about some gag from nearly 20 years ago.
    Maybe someone will turn up and give you the sturm und drang you're after, over a repeated gag.

Benny Hill did it a lot, recycling his old material to the point co-stars moaned about it and people are still up in arms the Benny got binned off by ITV.
    Hey ho...
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearly, I don't give a $hit, about some gag from nearly 20 years ago.
    Maybe someone will turn up and give you the sturm und drang you're after, over a repeated gag.

Benny Hill did it a lot, recycling his old material to the point co-stars moaned about it and people are still up in arms the Benny got binned off by ITV.
    Hey ho...

Odd isn't that musicians can have whole careers based upon one hit song while comedians are expected to have new material every time they perform.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He probably threw that in there to see if people remembered the gag! It doesn't matter about its re-use anyway cause it's a totally different situation.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    Here's the thing, DVDfever. Those points you were disputing were other people's genuinely held opinions. Your opinion isn't any more valid than anyone else's. Comedy is very subjective, and there is rarely a "correct" opinion of it. By all means put yours forward but give other people room to express theirs.

Everything you quoted wasn't all disputing. For those that were, it's called having a discussion. It's kinda what you do on forums.
    Your review isn't as clever as it thinks it is either.

Huh? Is it sentient?
    platty wrote: »
    Here's another opinion , dvdfever seems quite bitter towards Kay , perhaps he earns more money than him .... Could be that :confused:

Yeah, must be...

As you missed it, I was pointing things out as not everyone will know the backstory and they will see the titles of the programmes and believe that Kay was behind it all.
    Or it could be that some people found it irritating and banal. Such as myself. I liked Phoenix Nights and the Geraldine McQueen stuff.

Spot on (apart from the Geraldine stuff ;) )
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    DVDFever's "review" is hilarious! Proper going into detail about the Forever FM DJ's careers and the usual spiel about who may or may not have fallen out 10 years ago. Irrelevant.

It's not at all irrelevant, as explained previously. Still, if you can't see that...

And as for the DJs, that was also important. They've not been given the credit on the show, so they should be.
    platty wrote: »
    Fair enough , but to come back into this thread , multi quoting people seemed a tad bit over the top

The point of multi-quoting is so that it appears as one post, not several, so it's actively encouraged on DS. Sorry if it's confusing.
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Half-way through I remember thinking what happened to the review of Peter Kay's Car Share? Then it got on track again.

Was it too difficult for you to follow?
    oscar1 wrote: »
    Gave up trying to read your site ---- "godawful" colour scheme......

So it's "godawful" but you don't suggest an alternative? Most websites either have black or white backgrounds. The majority of those tend to use white. Why follow the crowd and look bland like the rest?

And I prefer the black background. YMMV.
    DVDFever has spent an inordinate amount of time maintaining a godawful website with reviews that are neither funny or clever.

You've read them all?
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    2.8 million requests for car share on iplayer

Hype anything prior to it being on TV and that's what will happen. They did it to promote Iplayer more than anything else, and to give themselves record numbers. It's so obvious.
    Lyceum wrote: »
    What I'll never understand is why people spend so much time writing and talking about things they don't like.

As I've explained (which you've ignored), I'll judge something on its own merits. Had it made me laugh more than not, then I would've said so. I've explained in the review where it wasn't a complete waste of 30 mins per episode.
    Apparently I'm ignorant though because I don't care that Peter Kay fell out with Dave Spikey (I'm not sure how that makes me ignorant. Indifferent yes, ignorant no. Ignorance would imply I didn't know about it. I did. I just didn't care). Such a witty and scathing retort. I'm cut to my very quick, honest. I'll never watch anything Peter Kay does ever again.

If you're happy to champion a backstabber, then go right ahead.
    I guess some people just have too much time on their hands.

Yes, you do.
    Miaxxx wrote: »
    Does anyone know why it's taken so long for this to come to air. I think I read somewhere that this was made about 2years ago.

Because they're too busy wondering if they really can get away with putting all that plop on BBC1.
  • A.PenroseA.Penrose Posts: 4,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved this. it had that rare knack of after 5 minutes you were into it and felt like it was a show that had been on for years. Both were wonderful and to carry a show with just two people is very hard. I also loved the local radio station and they way bit's of old 80's and 90's songs became part of the banter in the car like the TV shows they were watching in The Royal family. Well done to both of them and the BBC I think this is going to be a big hit for them.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A.Penrose wrote: »
    Loved this. it had that rare knack of after 5 minutes you were into it and felt like it was a show that had been on for years.

The joke were certainly that old.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    after the 2nd episode still not getting the program. I'm beginning to think some people are convincing themselves to like it because its Peter Kay. (Ducks for cover.)
  • A.PenroseA.Penrose Posts: 4,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    People can't do right for doing wrong.

If he had a never ending stream of shows and tours everyone would be saying he needs to aid off for a bit. Take a few years out. He's getting stale now etc etc.

He does the opposite. Just pops up every few years and gets slated for that.

God forbid the man wants to stay at home and raise his family outside of the public eye.

You're obviously not a fan. So why watch anyway? I don't like Ricky Gervais. So I don't watch any shows with him in or go into threads about those shows to say how much I dislike them.

I'd personally love more Peter Kay as I find him absolutely hysterical.

Well Peter has a new comedy show he's filming now. It's called From the cradle to the grave. it's based on the book that DJ Danny Baker has written about his life in the early 70's. Peter is playing his dad and there will be six episodes on the BBC with music from the pop group Squeeze(Danny went to the same school as the songwriter from Squeeze Chris Difford) Don't know when this is going to be on but I would say end of this year or early next year.
  • Ginger1Ginger1 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    after the 2nd episode still not getting the program. I'm beginning to think some people are convincing themselves to like it because its Peter Kay. (Ducks for cover.)

Ha ha no need to duck!....i was once a peter kay fan but thought he'd got too far up his own arse so wasn't expecting bought spectacular from this.... I watched all 6 in one go so saw the series for what it is. Where as watching week by week you forget the pace and humour and miss some of the running gags
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Peter has a new comedy show he's filming now. It's called From the cradle to the grave. it's based on the book that DJ Danny Baker has written about his life in the early 70's. Peter is playing his dad and there will be six episodes on the BBC with music from the pop group Squeeze(Danny went to the same school as the songwriter from Squeeze Chris Difford) Don't know when this is going to be on but I would say end of this year or early next year.

Didn't know that. Thanks.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Really looking forward to Cradle to Grave..the book is really interesting.
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep, I'll go with you on that. I've always been a Peter Kay fan, but there's a bit of "King's new clothes" about the reaction to this series.
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to me that some are expecting a Phoenix Nights comedy. No, it's not a laugh a minute but it's well written and I think more observational - what's not said than what is. For that it's clever but I wonder if by placing himself in the lead role made the audience expect something else.

It reminds me of Marion and Geoff - not because of the setting - but the gentle humour. It's also a very original concept basing something on car sharing.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Odd isn't that musicians can have whole careers based upon one hit song while comedians are expected to have new material every time they perform.

In the days before.T.V. comedians made a lifetime living off one act, touring the country.
  • David_ArcherDavid_Archer Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    It's really good that all 6 episodes are available to watch on YouTube as the BBC removed from iplayer a bit too fast.

Does anyone know why it's in a shrunken screen and if it can be enlarged to fill the screen
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's not many comedies that I enjoy these days but this is right up my street. There's a great chemistry between the 2 main characters.

Can't wait for episode 3.
  • conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    There's not many comedies that I enjoy these days but this is right up my street. There's a great chemistry between the 2 main characters.

Can't wait for episode 3.

I think ep 3 is one of the best ! All six are marvellous actually….LOVE how the lyrics of Hear Say's Pure and Simple sunk in with John in the last episode…awwwww
  • fozzie74fozzie74 Posts: 284
    Forum Member

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/film-news/peter-kay-spotted-filming-new-8781946

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/film-news/fallowfield-back-1970s-flamboyant-fashions-8981229

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/film-news/watch-peter-kays-response-calls-8929513

Yep been seen up here filming it for a month or two.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really good that all 6 episodes are available to watch on YouTube as the BBC removed from iplayer a bit too fast.

Does anyone know why it's in a shrunken screen and if it can be enlarged to fill the screen

This is a bit weird. It's almost like thay are saying "You can watch it but you can't enjoy it".

They're all available in full screen on Dailymotion, by the way.

I've just watched them all and this is definitely one of those gems that I never expected to like. Peter Kay was great but Kayleigh was simply delightful.
  • David_ArcherDavid_Archer Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing it's a copywrite thing. I remember there are some Gogglebox episodes on YouTube also in this small screen format
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way it has been advertised I assumed it was a brand new series and thete'd only been two shown so far. I normally go out of my way to avoid Peter Kay, but I thought I'd give it a go after reading some good reviews.

I have to say that I thought it was rather wonderful, wit Kay not being too repulsive and having an excellent foil with his car share partner. I've never seen her before - did she used to be a singer?