Options

Gay Cake bakery guilty of discrimination!

Comments

• Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    I think it's to make a point about Christians supposedly being singled out for persecution!

:cry: Those poor persecuted Christians.
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    :cry: Those poor persecuted Christians.

They used to throw them to the Lyons(cakes). lol
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    cas1977 wrote: »
    It was also interesting what one of the ministers was quoted as saying. It seemed he didn't think the ruling was fair, as the slogan that was requested was something that is still illegal in NI at this moment.

Gay marriage is not "illegal" in NI, it's just not possible yet.
  • Options
    SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Four Hail Marys and an Our Father could have sorted that out though.

Ashers Bakery is not a Catholic bakery...
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's to make a point about Christians supposedly being singled out for persecution!

I did think it suspicious that the cake was ordered from a bakery that is well known in the area for being run by strongly commited christians.
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    Gay marriage is not "illegal" in NI, it's just not possible yet.
    So for two gays to get married in NI it isn't illegal?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So for two gays to get married in NI it isn't illegal?

It can't happen, so illegality doesn't come into it!
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Illegal means it's something they can be arrested for, which isn't the case, so no, it isn't illegal, it just isn't law here. Yet.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    Terry N wrote: »
    They used to throw them to the Lyons(cakes). lol

:D I've always thought a "Christian bakery" would make 7 loaves and that's it.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    What makes me suspicious is that the article said it was a gay rights activist....I didn't realize that before. I had assumed it was merely a customer walking into the shop who happened to be gay.

Whereas now they've confirmed it was an actual activist, I can't help thinking whether all this was planned, staged, and the bakery were purposely targeted as the activist knew exactly what response he'd get. So basically a load of publicity for the gay cause.

Meaning there was an agenda here. And it had nothing to do with a cake.

It was also interesting what one of the ministers was quoted as saying. It seemed he didn't think the ruling was fair, as the slogan that was requested was something that is still illegal in NI at this moment.

The cake was for a party to be held with the local Mayor about the campaign for same-sex marriage in NI, but there is no evidence Ashers was in anyway targetted by the group. The bakery was the closest to their office and at that time there was nothing in their shops or on their website to indicate they were a 'Christian bakery'. I can testify too, that meetings about same-sex marriage tend to include a cake (it's an obvious inclusion). The meetings I organised certainly did, although my mother-in-law kindly made ours.

There is no need for an agenda - same-sex marriage has a high enough profile in NI at the moment and the attitudes of some Christians there is all too clear from the fact their government keeps voting against the proposal Publicity on this is easy to get - you don't need to try to find a bakery that may or may not break the law and refuse to sell you a cake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    :D I've always thought a "Christian bakery" would make 7 loaves and that's it.

Special on tuna and sweetcorn sandwiches perhaps?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    The cake was for a party to be held with the local Mayor about the campaign for same-sex marriage in NI, but there is no evidence Ashers was in anyway targetted by the group. The bakery was the closest to their office and at that time there was nothing in their shops or on their website to indicate they were a 'Christian bakery'. I can testify too, that meetings about same-sex marriage tend to include a cake (it's an obvious inclusion). The meetings I organised certainly did, although my mother-in-law kindly made ours.

There is no need for an agenda - same-sex marriage has a high enough profile in NI at the moment and the attitudes of some Christians there is all too clear from the fact their government keeps voting against the proposal Publicity on this is easy to get - you don't need to try to find a bakery that may or may not break the law and refuse to sell you a cake.
    ok, I suppose noone can prove either way really, although it does seem a bit coincidental doesn't it?

Meaning the cake order the bakery turned down was in fact for quite a high profile event involving the Mayor etc to campaign for same sex marriage....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It can't happen, so illegality doesn't come into it!
    Ok, so it basically isn't allowed in NI then?

It still means that the minister had a point who was quoted in the article.

Meaning how can you be ruled against for not promoting something that actually isn't allowed in NI right now!

The point I'm making isn't to do with what the gay person should have done, what the bakery have done, mainly what I've just posted above.

I'd think it would have been a fairer ruling if same sex marriage was allowed, but it isn't even allowed as yet....
  • Options
    grah2702grah2702 Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me BOTH sides are equally repulsive.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So religious people are disgusting and gays are disgusting?

Wow, what a lovely person you must be.
  • Options
    AngrydadAngrydad Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    The simple truth is that religious beliefs must never come before the law. If it was up to me there would be a total seperation of church and state. No exmptions for the religious, no religious schools, no halal slaughter. Believing that ancient myths are real should be treated as a mental illness. Indoctrination of chilren into a particular faith should be outlawed.....oh and all religious organisations should be taxed like any ther business.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I have this vision of people attempting to push the boundaries of Freedom Of Speech via the medium of cake-decoration.

I recall, years ago, when Hazel Blears decided to ban all replica guns, the Sportsman's Association presented her with a cake in the shape of a handgun (labelled as a 'Chock 17' :D) and then pointed out that she had actually committed a criminal offence, under her own new law, by accepting it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ok, I suppose noone can prove either way really, although it does seem a bit coincidental doesn't it?

Meaning the cake order the bakery turned down was in fact for quite a high profile event involving the Mayor etc to campaign for same sex marriage....

Not really coincidental, no - an LGBT group holding a meeting with politicians about the campaign to legalise same-sex marriage wants to buy a cake (well known symbol of weddings) and goes to their nearest bakery to order it.. a bakery that at the time has no signs or any indication they are a 'Christian bakery', It just happened and as long as there are Christians with views like this, who think they have the right to discriminate because they are religious, it will keep happening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok, so it basically isn't allowed in NI then?

It still means that the minister had a point who was quoted in the article.

Meaning how can you be ruled against for not promoting something that actually isn't allowed in NI right now!

The point I'm making isn't to do with what the gay person should have done, what the bakery have done, mainly what I've just posted above.

I'd think it would have been a fairer ruling if same sex marriage was allowed, but it isn't even allowed as yet....

That seme-sex marriage is isn't currently allowed is irrelevant - it is lawful to campaign for it to be allowed and the cake was part of a lawful campaign.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhillyMcQ wrote: »
    NI does have civil partnerships

Yes, sorry my mistake.
  • Options
    Payne by namePayne by name Posts: 3,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do apply to everyone. However I don't suppose the copyright owners would be too bothered about that image being iced on to a cake for a private function.

As a matter of interest, do you support the idea of equal marriage?
    I wasn't aware that copyright infringements were based on the perpetrator arbitrarily deciding whether or not the image owner 'would mind' if it was used.

As to your second point, civil partnerships offer exactly the same legal impact of marriage. Hence I can't understand why a couple would seek, to the point of changing the law, the blessing of an organisation that doesn't agree with what they are doing.

Now, I agree that many heterosexual people hypocritically get married in front of an organisation that they know little about. However, they do have to conform to the 'rules' of that organisation to receive it's blessing.

Like how if myself and my partner weren't Jewish or Muslim, we couldn't be married in their places of worship. That seems fair to me.

So you have gay couples marrying in a church, having their relationship blessed by a religion that disagrees with their union and where the people seeking the blessing, have contempt for the body blessing them.

It really is saying "I don't want their approval, I don't respect their approval and I am fully aware that they don't want to give their approval but it's my right to demand it regardless'.

It all seems a little petulant and kind of going against the wonder of partnerships, namely that it's meant to be between two people and shouldn't really require an external title to give it validation.
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the bakery got a good stuffing?

Mon dieu!

:D
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Ashers supporters are probably pretty pleased with the judgement, they will now be hailed as martyrs by the Christian right and their case as evidence of the need for a conscious clause as advocated by the DUP and UKIP.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I support is the laws of copyright applying to everyone. I believe that is called equality.

Yes and it has nothing whatsoever to do with the case as the cake was never made and that was never given as a reason. They gave their reason, chosen religious intolerance, which they don't seem to apply to any other section of society. They'd have damned few customers if they did. ..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wasn't aware that copyright infringements were based on the perpetrator arbitrarily deciding whether or not the image owner 'would mind' if it was used.
    It isn't. My point was whether it would in fact be a copyright infringement to ice an image on a cake for private use. The organisers presumably didn't think it would be, so the issue of infringement seems very much a side issue.
    As to your second point, civil partnerships offer exactly the same legal impact of marriage. Hence I can't understand why a couple would seek, to the point of changing the law, the blessing of an organisation that doesn't agree with what they are doing..
    Neither do I, but then marriage doesn't have to be a religious affair.
This discussion has been closed.