Knocking pets over

Comments

• Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard_T wrote: »
    They should bring back the dog licence, and also have a similar system for other animals/pets.
    If an out of control dog ends up getting run over or causes a traffic accident then the owner of that dog should be responsible, likewise if a cat gets run over and causes an accident then money from the pet licence fund should go towards paying for any damage.

Also a return of a dog licence, and / or a pet licence will also help with animal welfare as unsuitable people will easily be bared from keeping/looking after animals.

Thanks for calling everyone who has had a cat run over 'unsuitable'......

(Sarcasm)
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should bring back the dog licence, and also have a similar system for other animals/pets.
    If an out of control dog ends up getting run over or causes a traffic accident then the owner of that dog should be responsible, likewise if a cat gets run over and causes an accident then money from the pet licence fund should go towards paying for any damage.

Also a return of a dog licence, and / or a pet licence will also help with animal welfare as unsuitable people will easily be bared from keeping/looking after animals.

As Keanu Reeves said..."you need a license to have a dog, you need a license to fish....but any asshole can have a kid".

So true !
  • Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    Thanks for calling everyone who has had a cat run over 'unsuitable'......

(Sarcasm)
    You can spin it that way if you want, a pet licence/permit could be used to prevent unsuitable people form keeping animals. unsiuitable being the ones who have been convicted of animal cruelty, keeping animals in poor conditions ( ie the fabled mad cat people with 100's of cats crammed into one house)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can spin it that way if you want, a pet licence/permit could be used to prevent unsuitable people form keeping animals. unsiuitable being the ones who have been convicted of animal cruelty, keeping animals in poor conditions ( ie the fabled mad cat people with 100's of cats crammed into one house)

Yeah but where do you stop?

'Oh look. That person is tugging on the lead of his dog sniffing at a bit of grass . That's animal cruelty. Let's get rid of his pet license,'
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dog licences are still required in N Ireland (and Isle of Man IIRC)...cost £12.50.

I'm pretty sure the RSPCA policy is have compulsory licencing/insurance/chipping...and in other parts of the world eg areas of California that require licences you get a reduction for pets that have been neutered because that way you are not adding to the "unwanted"/feral/uncontrolled breeding/puppy farming issue.

I agree it is an issue should be treated as an animal welfare issue...and resources raised used to help fund the agencies working for this.

And yes it should be extended to cats.

Of curse it will never happen because no-one wants to have to pay to set up the system to enforce it...but then that's because such people generally lack imagination.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They could at least have the courtesy to get out of their cars and apologise to the owners if they find themselves unable to avoid it.
    Ha ha... Where is the owner to apologise to - if the cat is 'free roaming'? :confused::confused::confused:
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    That's not right. Cats should have the same rule applied to them. And it shouldn't matter if it is a accident or not; if you knock down a cat or whatever, it should be a automatic fine IMO.
    No. But if I was, I wouldn't drive at ridiculous speeds and if I saw a cat running across the road, I'd stop the car suddenly or swerve even if it meant risking my own life to save a animal that could be somebody's pet. I would certainly have the courtesy to stop the car and find out who it belonged to; carry the injured or dead body to the owner, apologise and offer to pay the vet bill (if injured).
    Then so be it. Their lives would be no more important than the life of the animal in front.

And this is why you don't make the rules. :) Factor in your dietary restrictions and it could be considered a moot point as to whether you should be categorised in one of the groups that aren't even permitted to choose those who do. :)
    My cat eats rabbits all the time, especially at this time of year.
    hardly a day passes without me having to go outside every morning to check there are no partially eaten lumps of rabbit in the backyard before I let our disgusting dog out for his morning pee,
    as he has a tendency to want to roll in what's left, and as what's left is often no more than the bowels. we don't need the dog rolling in them,

mind you we do save quite a bit of money on cat food at this time of year as our little murderer won't touch cat food while there is a ready supply of tasty critters just outside the door, he really doesn't seem either able or interested in catching birds, although he did once bring a full grown duck home, he seems to prefer "little fluffy bunny wabbits" aaahhh poor we things,

bloody vermin if you ask me, we have thousands of them in the field just across the road and they have dug it into a mass of holes, I really don't understand why some people are so sentimental about the damned things, they really are just vermin no different from rats really.

Had a right set to the other day I heard the dog barking like mad outside and went into the yard to see the cat chasing a young rabbit around the yard and the dog chasing the cat around the yard, as soon as I opened the door baby wabbit saw it as an escape route and ran into the house followed by our little murderer, who was followed by the dog with me bringing up the rear shouting and cursing all three of them.
    baby wabbit ran under the settee (it was that small) cat tried to follow it, (he's NOT that small) dog embedded his nose in the cats arse, slippery floor syndrome.
    I had to grab our little murderer to get him out of the room HE thinks I want to steal his dinner, so he's hissing and spitting at me, Dog thinks cat is attacking me so dog tries to defend me by jumping at cat,
    missus is just wetting herself laughing at the whole show. I get the little growling howling spitting thing into one room, get the stupid dog who thinks its all a brilliant game into the other room, finally get the cats 'dinner' from under the settee, where it has deposited lots and lots of little currants, the thing is no more than 6 inches from twitching nose to 'currant hole' I decided not to hand it over to the very angry cat, but took it across the street and deposited it back into the field from whence it came, where it showed a huge amount of stupidity by dashing straight back across the road narrowly avoiding a car before running straight back into the yard just as our little murderer was emerging from his confinement and who instantly chased lunch up the yard and through the fence, and that was that, except little murderer turned up an hour or so later with a round belly and an urge to clean his paws, so I don't think the day went well for lunch at all.

he's never come home with a lamb or lobster.......................... (yet)
    ;-)

That post made the thread worth reading. Thank you for redeeming the time I wasted until that point. :)
    I must have missed the Beatrix Potter book with the lobster.

And this . :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha... Where is the owner to apologise to - if the cat is 'free roaming'? :confused::confused::confused:

In one of the houses?
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In one of the houses?

You're 'aving a giraffe mate, and it needs mowing down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »
    You're 'aving a giraffe mate, and it needs mowing down.

No I'm not. If I were a driver and knocked someone's pet down, I would knock on every door to find out whose it was.
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I'm not. If I were a driver and knocked someone's pet down, I would knock on every door to find out whose it was.

Of course you would, put then you have put a lot of effort into this thread for no good reason, so perhaps I'm underestimating your appetite for the ridiculous.
  • HelenbemerryHelenbemerry Posts: 5,738
    Forum Member

If the pet was licensed and microchipped, the owners could be traced quite easily

As you're not a driver, no offence but you're not really qualified to judge how easy or hard it is to stop if an animal runs out in front of you, I can't imagine any driver gets in their car with the intention of running over someones pet.
    Forum Member

Good luck with that approach.
    First of all its not always practical or safe to stop anywhere, plus theres also the factor of your own personal safety and a risk of confrontation between yourself and irate and possibly irrational pet owner.

Plus if it was a choice between running over a cat, or putting myself/passengers/other road users at risk then the cat would be pretty low on the list of things to protect.

If you have an animal such as a cat and its let out and about, then you need to accept that there are a few risks out there and the cat may be run over, killed by a dog if it strays into someone else's back garden with a dog ( protecting its territory ) or killed/injured by any other predators /hazards that are out there.

If you really are concerned fit your cat with a GPS tracking collar and then find out where it goes and look at the risks/hazards for each place it goes
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the pet was licensed and microchipped, the owners could be traced quite easily

As you're not a driver, no offence but you're not really qualified to judge how easy or hard it is to stop if an animal runs out in front of you, I can't imagine any driver gets in their car with the intention of running over someones pet.
    If someone could have stopped safety but didn't then that's different. If they can't stop safely and run over an animal, then they can't be blamed.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Let's hope the cat owner pops around to your next of kin when you kill yourself to save their cat.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Once nutted a pigeon with my motorbike helmet. On a dual carriageway so no way of stopping to check on the state of the bird but found the helmet covered in feathers and blood so can assume it was a goner.

And ran over a "what the hell was that?" animal in the van at night out in the county. Small, with round ears and blue eyes reflecting in the headlights. It could have squatted down and survived but made a bolt to the side just as I went over it and I felt the double crunch as both front and rear wheels ran over it so again, another goner. Realised later that it was a baby fox which apparently have blue eyes which only turn brown as they grow up.

BTW my theory on swerving to avoid animals is not to Zag away when they Zig but Zig towards them so they can then Zag out of the way as they are taking avoiding action on the assumption you *are* after them.

Oh boy I once had a full sized crow fly into my chest when I was doing around 40 MPH and he must have been doing the same in the opposite direction and even wearing a leather jacket I can tell you it bloody HURT,... no no I don't mean the crow was wearing a leather jacket hehe, a crow in a leather jacket just came into my mind, with a bike chain in its han.... wing?
    BUT it felt like it was wearing a crash helmet it hit me either head first or it could've been feet first as it tried to brake, but there was this black shape a WHOOOOSH splat and all hell broke loose there was lots of cawing and flapping feathers were flying everywhere I am desperately trying to hang on to the bike and get rid of the cawing flapping thing in my lap, I finally manage to stop the bike and get rid of Mr crow, who disappears over a hedge still cawing his head off, I look up to see 4 or 5 people standing at a bus stop cracking up with hysterical laughter I look down to see that Mr Crow has left me a gift, quite a lot of a gift actually it's all over the front of me and has feather sticking in it, and then I notice the smell, you would be amazed at just how much of that stuff a bird has in it.
    I had a huge fist sized bruise in the middle of my chest for ages afterwards, and I never got the smell out of my jacket.

another Time I am riding down the road and I see a full grown pigeon come over a hedge and fly straight into my front wheel, hardly felt any impact but I will never forget the 'crunching' noise as a pigeon went in one side of my front wheel and all this 'stuff' and feathers exploded out of the other side, talk about shredded tweet?

Mate of mine back when I lived in Scotland for a while was riding home from work on his scooter when a full grown pheasant flew into him and fell to the floor dead,
    so he turned around went back and picked up the dead bird and shoved it up his jacket and went home, he shoved the bird in the fridge thinking Sunday dinner was sorted, .
    later that night he hears a noise coming from the kitchen of his flat, he thinks someone has broken in,
    gets out of bed and arms himself with a hitting device, the noise is coming from inside his fridge, he opens the fridge door and gets a face full of very angry very cold pheasant which proceeds to fly around his flat destroying things and then crapping on them, or it could be the other way around, anyway he says he was fighting with it for something like 20 minutes before he managed to get it out of a window, it wasn't dead it was just stunned, the inside of his flat was covered in pheasant feathers and pheasant shit, and so was his fridge.
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Oh boy I once had a full sized crow fly into my chest when I was doing around 40 MPH and he must have been doing the same in the opposite direction and even wearing a leather jacket I can tell you it bloody HURT,... no no I don't mean the crow was wearing a leather jacket hehe, a crow in a leather jacket just came into my mind, with a bike chain in its han.... wing?
    BUT it felt like it was wearing a crash helmet it hit me either head first or it could've been feet first as it tried to brake, but there was this black shape a WHOOOOSH splat and all hell broke loose there was lots of cawing and flapping feathers were flying everywhere I am desperately trying to hang on to the bike and get rid of the cawing flapping thing in my lap, I finally manage to stop the bike and get rid of Mr crow, who disappears over a hedge still cawing his head off, I look up to see 4 or 5 people standing at a bus stop cracking up with hysterical laughter I look down to see that Mr Crow has left me a gift, quite a lot of a gift actually it's all over the front of me and has feather sticking in it, and then I notice the smell, you would be amazed at just how much of that stuff a bird has in it.
    I had a huge fist sized bruise in the middle of my chest for ages afterwards, and I never got the smell out of my jacket.

another Time I am riding down the road and I see a full grown pigeon come over a hedge and fly straight into my front wheel, hardly felt any impact but I will never forget the 'crunching' noise as a pigeon went in one side of my front wheel and all this 'stuff' and feathers exploded out of the other side, talk about shredded tweet?

Mate of mine back when I lived in Scotland for a while was riding home from work on his scooter when a full grown pheasant flew into him and fell to the floor dead,
    so he turned around went back and picked up the dead bird and shoved it up his jacket and went home, he shoved the bird in the fridge thinking Sunday dinner was sorted, .
    later that night he hears a noise coming from the kitchen of his flat, he thinks someone has broken in,
    gets out of bed and arms himself with a hitting device, the noise is coming from inside his fridge, he opens the fridge door and gets a face full of very angry very cold pheasant which proceeds to fly around his flat destroying things and then crapping on them, or it could be the other way around, anyway he says he was fighting with it for something like 20 minutes before he managed to get it out of a window, it wasn't dead it was just stunned, the inside of his flat was covered in pheasant feathers and pheasant shit, and so was his fridge.

:D

BIB :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck with that approach.
    First of all its not always practical or safe to stop anywhere, plus theres also the factor of your own personal safety and a risk of confrontation between yourself and irate and possibly irrational pet owner.

Stuff safety.

Plus if it was a choice between running over a cat, or putting myself/passengers/other road users at risk then the cat would be pretty low on the list of things to protect.
    Stuff safety of members of our own species. The selfless option is the right path to take morally.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes.:)

So you think people should be fined for an accident that is not their fault, hardly very fair.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In one of the houses?
    Eh? Do you have even half a clue of how far a cat can roam?
    I assume you would be carrying round corpse of said cat - for identification purposes naturally. ;-)
    If it's a working day good luck with telling your boss where you were etc etc...
    But of course the OP would never be in that position in the first place because he doesn't drive. But if he did, he'd have driven into an oncoming lorry to avoid catikins and is possibly himself dead. Or maybe he is 'helping police with their enquiries' after mowing down a child.
    Good luck with that one....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    So you think people should be fined for an accident that is not their fault, hardly very fair.

It would teach people to be more careful and drive slower.
    Forum Member
    if were going down the ridiculous route then the cat owners should be fined for having an out of control animal, plus if you wish to own a cat then you should be able to show a just reason to own such an animal ( ie rodent control on a farm )
  • DogueDogue Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Stuff safety.

Stuff safety of members of our own species. The selfless option is the right path to take morally.

Good luck using that in a court of law if you swerve to avoid an animal and cause injury up other motorists or pedestrians, as it will provide absolutely you no defence whatsoever. Anyone who has passed their driving test will tell you that the Hghway Code stipulates that you drive straight over an animal in the road if there's any chance that swerving it stopping could harm or kill other road users.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Stuff safety.

thank goodness you are not a driver - it is bad enough as it is

You have a strange sense of morality - which I suspect is at odds with most people let alone most on here.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    It would teach people to be more careful and drive slower.

You are assuming it is even possible to stop to avoid said animal - the only way this could seriously work is to have some bloke with a red flag walking in front of every vehicle