Options

Amazon to begin booking UK sales in the UK and will pay corporation tax

jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/may/23/amazon-to-begin-paying-corporation-tax-on-uk-retail-sales

This is to avoid George Osborne's punitive tax of 25% on companies seen to be artificially diverting profits to lower its tax obligations. It will be interesting to see how much is raised by companies switching where they book their sales.

Comments

• Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is progress, but we'll have to wait and see before getting over-exited.

Let's just hope some of the other organisations who employ similar tricks follow suit.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This should increase corporation tax revenues in the UK and reduce them elsewhere such as Luxembourg, Juncker won't be pleased.
  • Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/may/23/amazon-to-begin-paying-corporation-tax-on-uk-retail-sales

This is to avoid George Osborne's punitive tax of 25% on companies seen to be artificially diverting profits to lower its tax obligations. It will be interesting to see how much is raised by companies switching where they book their sales.

I expect to see Margaret Hodge lambasting them for this shortly.
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    natalian wrote: »
    I expect to see Margaret Hodge lambasting them for this shortly.
    After the Times exposed her own tax affairs, I doubt she'll be criticising anyone any time soon
  • Options
    MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hodge isn't standing for the public accounts committee again
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone suspect they'll find a different dodge?
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know George had brought in this 25% punitive tax - good on him.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MattN wrote: »
    Hodge isn't standing for the public accounts committee again

Still a hypocrite though.
  • Options
    alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    I didn't know George had brought in this 25% punitive tax - good on him.

He announced it in Dec2014 saying he'd bring it in Apr15, but i can't find out if it is in force yet. Also Amazon has NEVER made a profit, presumably through clever accounting and reinvestment, so Corp Tax bill for them will be £0.00

http://www.ibtimes.com/amazon-nearly-20-years-business-it-still-doesnt-make-money-investors-dont-seem-care-1513368.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    clinch wrote: »
    Anyone suspect they'll find a different dodge?

Such as passing the cost on to the customer?
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Then they will be less competitive and customers will go elsewhere. That's how a free market works and up to now Amazon has had an unfair advantage over UK businesses who do pay their taxes.

A good move from Osborne.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    MartinP wrote: »
    Then they will be less competitive and customers will go elsewhere. That's how a free market works and up to now Amazon has had an unfair advantage over UK businesses who do pay their taxes.

A good move from Osborne.

Which would explain Amazon's recent free postage increase, to £20 when almost everybody else does it free with no lower spending limit?

The truth is Amazon have got the market cornered, and now they're using their relative monopoly to their advantage...
  • Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfamale wrote: »
    He announced it in Dec2014 saying he'd bring it in Apr15, but i can't find out if it is in force yet. Also Amazon has NEVER made a profit, presumably through clever accounting and reinvestment, so Corp Tax bill for them will be £0.00

http://www.ibtimes.com/amazon-nearly-20-years-business-it-still-doesnt-make-money-investors-dont-seem-care-1513368.

It is in force. It was enacted in the Finance Act 2015 and takes effect for the 2015/2016 tax year and because of the way the taxable profit is calculated under the act, Amazon would have tax to pay.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    This is progress, but we'll have to wait and see before getting over-exited.

Let's just hope some of the other organisations who employ similar tricks follow suit.

I agree and they should never have been avoiding tax in the first place. Let's hope that other scally firms like Google follow suit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree and they should never have been avoiding tax in the first place. Let's hope that other scally firms like Google follow suit.

Google probably won't, there are other reasons to locate in Ireland besides tax benefits. The Irish internet regulator tends to be slightly friendlier and more co-operative than other European regulators. They might decide the increased tax is worth it (or they might just find another dodge to get out paying it)/
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfamale wrote: »

Yes they have been claiming the cost of building factories against their profit, which might be allowed where they are tax resident.

But it isn't allowed under UK regulations, reinvestment is not a claimable item.

So if they want to trade in this country, they should pay tax in this country, under our rules.
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google probably won't, there are other reasons to locate in Ireland besides tax benefits. The Irish internet regulator tends to be slightly friendlier and more co-operative than other European regulators. They might decide the increased tax is worth it (or they might just find another dodge to get out paying it)/

Google earns a lot on advertising money in the UK. It either pays tax on that or they'll have to pay Osborne's 25% tax.

Google can take their pick but they will pay UK tax.
  • Options
    1TrueNorth1TrueNorth Posts: 4,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should be forced to pay back taxes if they want to operate here. Aswell as closing the loophole they exploited.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    Google earns a lot on advertising money in the UK. It either pays tax on that or they'll have to pay Osborne's 25% tax.

Google can take their pick but they will pay UK tax.

You genuinely think accountants haven't already thought up a million and one ways to get out of paying it? How cute...

Wouldn't surprise me if the government had deliberately left loopholes in, and Amazon were just doing this for publicity.
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You genuinely think accountants haven't already thought up a million and one ways to get out of paying it? How cute...

Wouldn't surprise me if the government had deliberately left loopholes in, and Amazon were just doing this for publicity.

You don't get it do you?

The 25% tax comes in if these companies deliberately try to avoid paying UK tax on their UK profits.

They can think up two thousand ways to avoid paying UK tax on their UK profits. Then Osborne's 25% tax kicks in.
  • Options
    worzilworzil Posts: 4,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Five stars from me Weeman.
    Pay your taxes and let us find a way so you pay as little as possible .
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's fairer. At the moment they get to "compete" with UK businesses and UK retail stores that have to pay UK tax and are put at a disadvantage, whereas Amazon can pick and choose where they want to pay it

Amazon will still be free to compete in other areas, like customer service (which is generally excellent) or free postage to win customers
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exploiting tax loopholes that bricks and mortar retailers such as HMV couldn't is one of the reasons Amazon managed to all but destroy the high street record shop, despite the fact contrary to media coverage 60% of music is still bought on CD and vinyl.

If they have to jack up prices to pay the taxes and thus create a fair playing field for high street record shops then good show I say.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Exploiting tax loopholes that bricks and mortar retailers such as HMV couldn't is one of the reasons Amazon managed to all but destroy the high street record shop, despite the fact contrary to media coverage 60% of music is still bought on CD and vinyl.

If they have to jack up prices to pay the taxes and thus create a fair playing field for high street record shops then good show I say.

How do you explain that practically every country in the world doesn't have high street record shops? It isn't because of Amazon in the slightest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    You don't get it do you?

The 25% tax comes in if these companies deliberately try to avoid paying UK tax on their UK profits.

They can think up two thousand ways to avoid paying UK tax on their UK profits. Then Osborne's 25% tax kicks in.

I get what the tax is supposed to do. But you're a complete mug if you think nobody's going to find a way around it...

I don't care how difficult or impossible it is in theory, they'll find a way. There's potentially a lot of money at stake, and in the case of the tech companies, the benefits of staying in Ireland are so comparatively great (especially since the British government is basically going full China/North Korea on tech issues at the moment) that they'll find a way.

It's like a never ending game of whack-a-mole, you will never win, and thinking you've won, just means you haven't noticed how badly you're losing...