Battleship Rocks!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5panky wrote: »
    I saw this in Cineworld Glasgow on dbox, new interactive moving/rumbling seats, and I thought the film was great and the dbox made it even better.

I know it's nonsense but to me it's brilliant nonsense.

I mean if Brooklyn Decker is really working as a therapist for injured soldiers she wouldn't be sitting down with them talking about their feelings. She'd walk into work wearing a swimsuit & they'd be like 'I know I've got no legs but I just wanna dance!'

Film 4/5
    Dbox 4/5 (can't wait to see The Avengers on this)
    This was called "sensearound" in the late 70's .... I saw The Battle of Midway, Battlestar Galactica and Rollercoaster in the odeon leicster square. One of the 1st cinemas equipped with the system :D
    Re: Battleships ... I find myself slightly tempted by this movie....
  • wolfukwolfuk Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    johnloony wrote: »
    4 out of 10.

Trashy, mediocre, shallow.

Why did the aliens come to Earth?
    What did they want?
    What could the contribute?
    The trigger-happy militaristic Americans didn't ask any of these questions, and it obviously never occurred to the film-makers that the viewers might be curious. But never mind, just make a shallow action-filled movie with lots of bangs and explosions and special effects - and hope that nobody will notice that no explanation is given for the aliens coming here.

The only good thing about it is that I am feeling smug because I stayed until the end of the credits, and I was therefore the only one in the cinema who saw the extra final scene.

surprise you asked, all you asked was explained in a 2 min scene,

basicly it was earth being in right place at wrong time. The signal reached the other planet while it was being attacked by the same aliens, why they came - was because they thought the planet was calling for help so they came to stop them, and they just followed the signal -
    they wanted the technology (which is hinted through out the movie) for the signal or ships.. Contribute - nothing since they where just the signal base they where not here to destroy only defend. thats who they where calling to. .

By the was the whole film was based on the battleship game so their was no real plot apart from battleship.
    Greaty film and cleverly done. - Think of the game and you might like it better.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnloony wrote: »
    The fact that the film is based on the game "battleships" completely went over my head while I was watching it, and I had no idea until it said so in the credits at the end. If I had realised that was what the film was doing with the ocean wave detectors, I would have groaned and thought it was even more ridiculous.

I knew the movie was based on the game - but I didn't have a clue how they would actually translate the game into live action - I think they pulled it off quite well.

I also liked the way the alien mortars were the same shape as the game hit markers. Nice little nod there :D

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/erikkain/files/2012/02/battleship-board-game.jpg
  • wolfukwolfuk Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Moony wrote: »
    I knew the movie was based on the game - but I didn't have a clue how they would actually translate the game into live action - I think they pulled it off quite well.

I also liked the way the alien mortars were the same shape as the game hit markers. Nice little nod there :D

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/erikkain/files/2012/02/battleship-board-game.jpg

I agree it was a great how they did it, and if you did notice they even took turns - one fires then the other. great idea and worked, glad they not concentrate on the relationships and other stories as that was not the point of film

Glad he said no at end
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there were any more clichés in this film, it would be the greatest spoof film of all time. Unfortunately, I don't think that was intended.

I'm no Michael Bay hater, the Transformers films are fine for what they are, enjoyable action movies. This is ridiculous though, the action isn't even that entertaining, never mind everything that comes with it.

I'd recommend this film, only for the laughs you will get out of the terrible clichés and acting.
  • 3PS3PS Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got back and battleship first 30 mins Zzzzzz. After that was just action pack fun film. Really enjoyed it.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ended up seeing this today. I disliked the trailers for Battleship with a vengeance but sat my ass down to watch it and it was actually not that bad. It wasn't great but it wasn't downright awful. It was pretty entertaining in an enjoyable mindless sci-fi/action rubbish kind of way, but it's a film i could only ever watch once. The special effects were pretty amazing.

The only real complaint i had is that i felt i that all the shooting back and forth action scenes with the ships and aliens became a little repetitive and that was it was slightly too long. They could have cut the whole of the beginning showing what a loser Hopper was but to be honest that was the best and most funniest part of the film. Chicken burrito rules! :D

Rihanna was in it a lot more than i thought she would be and Liam Neeson features far less than i thought he would. Rihanna was pretty good though but i much preferred Brooklyn Decker! ;) And that post-credits scene is utterly bizarre! I thought it was some poor man's comedy sketch at first! Seriously weird.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Ended up seeing this today. I disliked the trailers for Battleship with a vengeance but sat my ass down to watch it and it was actually not that bad. It wasn't great but it wasn't downright awful. It was pretty entertaining in an enjoyable mindless sci-fi/action rubbish kind of way, but it's a film i could only ever watch once. The special effects were pretty amazing.

The only real complaint i had is that i felt i that all the shooting back and forth action scenes with the ships and aliens became a little repetitive and that was it was slightly too long. They could have cut the whole of the beginning showing what a loser Hopper was but to be honest that was the best and most funniest part of the film. Chicken burrito rules! :D

Rihanna was in it a lot more than i thought she would be and Liam Neeson features far less than i thought he would. Rihanna was pretty good though but i much preferred Brooklyn Decker! ;)And that post-credits scene is utterly bizarre! I thought it was some poor man's comedy sketch at first! Seriously weird.
    Just seen the scene on YT....:eek:...pleased I didn't wait for it.:yawn:
  • supersnakesupersnake Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    does rihanna get killed??
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is this a joke? :-0

glad they not concentrate on the relationships and other stories as that was not the point of film
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    supersnake wrote: »
    does rihanna get killed??
    No, she doesn't...
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing missing from this movie was Geoff Goldblum, he should have been cast as the scientist. :D

Thought it was pretty entertaining myself.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Battleship?

Pah!

This will be even better ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Battleship?

Pah!

This will be even better ;)

Thanks Matt D!
    That's had me ROLF-ing all over the place!
    Brilliant!
    Mind you, I'd still probably pay to see it! You'd just have to!
  • NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Watched this last night and thought it was pretty good although predictable. Action scenes were really good.

Rihanna had too many lines though- she really can't act.
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, finally got around to watching this today before it goes off.
    Thought it was OK - but to be fair - I had literally just walked out of The Avengers IMAX and had just had my mind blown.

Perhaps appreciated it a bit more if I had seen Battleship first!!

Not as bad as I expected - but thought it would be better because of all the positive reviews I have been hearing.

A few Michel Bay/Transformer moments
    mainly with the rollar bladed big ball things with whips!

Don't think I will ever make the effort to see this film again.
    But, not as bad as I originally expected when I first heard the concept and watching the trailer last year.
  • zexstreamzexstream Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Just seen this film and I have to say It sucked big time!

I found this review over at IMDB, and it sums it up for me.
    Does the US Navy make losers who get tased for robbing a supermarket Ship Captains in a couple of years?

Does a decommissioned ship contain live ordnance so that someone can use it when aliens attack?

And what were old navy veterans doing all over USS Missouri?

I didn't know you could swing a ship like a bike by dropping its anchor? What will they think of next, destroyers doing wheelies?

But the Aliens? Did they come from planet DUMB? Aliens have the technology to travel through space but don't know how to avoid an orbiting satellite?

They can travel through space but the best their ships can do on earth is hop across water?

And the telepathic aliens, did they destroy their planet using fancy 'molotov cocktails'. I mean they can generate force fields but have bomb they toss over as weapons?

Their HUD randomly selects something as a threat(red) and something as friendly (green). How threatening is a highway by the way? And troop carrier choppers? Why did they let the communications guy get away with the briefcase? Sudden love for humanity?

Just because they lost a jet, the Navy just sat in front of the force field and waited? And they are so dumb that they see a massive object in the middle of the ocean and think its part of the exercise? If the EMP can disable the Radar Array, did the Sonar not work? How could the ships still fire the weapons?

A disable guy took on an alien in a spacesuit that weighed enough to bend steel steps? The alien had its molars punched out of its mouth? Huh?

Any what kind of weaponry did the aliens carry? Rotating pliers? To do what? Pinch the earthlings noses?

Is Rihanna so desperate to do movies? What was she thinking?

A couple of navy guys, sit on the ship deck and snipe aliens in their spaceship because sun got into aliens eyes!

It is so bad that it is hilarious. Every dialog is cheesy or crappy. Acting.
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cudzndrips wrote: »
    special fx were amazing

Yes.
    and it had a very entertaining storyline.

No.
    Loved the new look aliens too

Yes.
    and it don't get any better than a thunderous ACDC soundtrack.

No.
    Have to admit my favourite bit was the USS Missouri prep and the retired soldiers! Here's hoping for Battleship 2.:)

That bit sucked the most
  • 3PS3PS Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zexstream wrote: »
    Just seen this film and I have to say It sucked big time!

I found this review over at IMDB, and it sums it up for me.
    Does the US Navy make losers who get tased for robbing a supermarket Ship Captains in a couple of years?

Does a decommissioned ship contain live ordnance so that someone can use it when aliens attack?

And what were old navy veterans doing all over USS Missouri?

I didn't know you could swing a ship like a bike by dropping its anchor? What will they think of next, destroyers doing wheelies?

But the Aliens? Did they come from planet DUMB? Aliens have the technology to travel through space but don't know how to avoid an orbiting satellite?

They can travel through space but the best their ships can do on earth is hop across water?

And the telepathic aliens, did they destroy their planet using fancy 'molotov cocktails'. I mean they can generate force fields but have bomb they toss over as weapons?

Their HUD randomly selects something as a threat(red) and something as friendly (green). How threatening is a highway by the way? And troop carrier choppers? Why did they let the communications guy get away with the briefcase? Sudden love for humanity?

Just because they lost a jet, the Navy just sat in front of the force field and waited? And they are so dumb that they see a massive object in the middle of the ocean and think its part of the exercise? If the EMP can disable the Radar Array, did the Sonar not work? How could the ships still fire the weapons?

A disable guy took on an alien in a spacesuit that weighed enough to bend steel steps? The alien had its molars punched out of its mouth? Huh?

Any what kind of weaponry did the aliens carry? Rotating pliers? To do what? Pinch the earthlings noses?

Is Rihanna so desperate to do movies? What was she thinking?

A couple of navy guys, sit on the ship deck and snipe aliens in their spaceship because sun got into aliens eyes!

It is so bad that it is hilarious. Every dialog is cheesy or crappy. Acting.

Oh come on. If their going to nit pick scenes out of a film then you could do that about any film. The film is based on a board game for a plot to work think they did a pretty good job.
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank God I found this thread. I saw Battleship the weekend it opened and hubby son and 13 year old son loved it. Plot as thin as paper, but well-made, leave your brains at the door and enjoy the ride film. Funny, great soundtrack, great action, liked the cast, what's not to love if you're not looking for Shakespeare? ;):D

Saw the Avengers yesterday and was so let down. I've seen all the lead-in movies and loved them, but this film didn't work for any of my family, I enjoyed it the most and I thought it was only ok. :confused:

Too many characters needing too much airtime, iron Man made everyone else seem like they had had personality bypasses, Loki again :rolleyes:, aliens on flying skateboards - Spiderman, flying lizards - Transformers, too much talking, too long trying to get them all together, just boring, boring, boring. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gawge wrote: »
    If there were any more clichés in this film, it would be the greatest spoof film of all time. Unfortunately, I don't think that was intended.

Its better when a movie that is full of clichés and has a predictable storyline, doesn't take itself too seriously (as battleship didn't). At least you can simply enjoy the ride.

The worst movies are those that are full of clichés, are predictable and which try to take themselves far too seriously (e.g. TDK).
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this today & I loved it.

Admittedly, it was your bog standard, aliens invade Earth & a group of (usually military personnel) find a away to vanquish the aliens, but it was very entertaining.

I thought Rihanna was OK in her acting debut; OK, she didn;t really have a meaty role, but she was comfortable doing it.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow.

Just wow.

The fact that so many people are enjoying this is surprising. And disappointing.

This has to be, without doubt, one of the worst films in recent years to grace our screens. It would have been more enjoyable to actually watch a couple play a game of Battleships than see this.

What the hell was Peter Berg thinking??! Used to have a lot of respect for him, as an actor and a director, but this is the equivalent of a cinematic lobotomy.

Yes the effects are quite sparkly in places, but they can't detract from some non-existent performances and a script that was clearly scribbled on the back of someone's hand in a rush.

Steer clear.

Review here.

Why would you be disappointed that many would enjoy something that you didn't?

It's only a film; some of us don't take cheesy alien invasion films too seriously & see them for what they are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have Googled around a bit - but i'm surprised Hasbro doesn't appear to have done a Battleship boardgame tie in edition, with the human ships on one side and the alien ships on the other. Given the link between this movie and the game - it seems like an obvious (and missed) opportunity to sell toys.

Perhaps they will bring it out to coincide with the DVD release.

edit: scratch that - apparently its already out there as a deluxe edition.
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this a week before I seen Avengers, and I have to say I really enjoyed the movie. I know the reviews panned it, but they normally do pan action films. I always think they send the wrong people in to review films, it's like they send arty types to watch action movies and that just doesn't work.

Anyway, when we came out of the cinema I was glad to hear that the others who had been to see it enjoyed it to. It really was a good action packed, good-feel, good-time movie that I will no doubt pick up on bluray when it gets released.

:) Mark