Options

Hot Spell ending from Monday!

Comments

• Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Olympics will be fine. Who on earth wants to compete or spectate in blistering heat?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can we not have something in the middle?

23c, sunny, no rain?

Surely that will keep everyone happy :D

Yes please, would like some of that! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    The Olympics will be fine. Who on earth wants to compete or spectate in blistering heat?

Plus wet clothing on women athletes :)

What...?
  • Options
    Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank. God.

Actually, just a bit cooler in the day, a LOT cooler at night, and I'd be happy enough.
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why the bloody hell have buses had their heating on, and their windows closed in this heat

same moron comes on, and then closes any open windows

stuck at traffic lights, being roasted by the sun through the window, with the heating roasting feet

can't wait for cooler stuff
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP did state the South East.

Obviously this thread is aimed at Southerners.

And whiny moany ones at that. I live down south, It's been great. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am looking forward to the temperature dropping, but I do feel sorry for the people going to the Olympics and whatnot. It's just too hot for me, I am much happier in the rain and cold!
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why the bloody hell have buses had their heating on, and their windows closed in this heat

same moron comes on, and then closes any open windows

stuck at traffic lights, being roasted by the sun through the window, with the heating roasting feet

can't wait for cooler stuff

If the buses are in London, complain to TFL. As for the bloke who shuts all the windows.. tell him NO ;)
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rosaliee wrote: »
    I am looking forward to the temperature dropping, but I do feel sorry for the people going to the Olympics and whatnot. It's just too hot for me, I am much happier in the rain and cold!

As I said earlier, why do you feel sorry for people going to the Olympics? If I had tickets for something which involved me being outside and the weather had been like it has been the last few days, I would have to think twice about going.

People seem to be talking as if it is going to turn into midwinter. It isn't.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    The OP did state the South East.

Obviously this thread is aimed at Southerners.

Yeah but he's in Dover, it's more like Eastern Europe there than S.E England.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    As I said earlier, why do you feel sorry for people going to the Olympics? If I had tickets for something which involved me being outside and the weather had been like it has been the last few days, I would have to think twice about going.

People seem to be talking as if it is going to turn into midwinter. It isn't.

I think turning unsettled is the problem with a lot of events outdoors, I doubt rain would stop many people turning up to watch given how hard it was to get a ticket in the first place but would certainly spoil things somewhat if it's raining, much more so than if it's sunny and hot where in general most people are much happier to get out in it. Why do you think parks and beaches are so crowded on warm sunny days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is more liike it :)
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    This is more liike it :)
    I agree 106 on the golf course today :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So thankful I live in the cooler north east, dont know how you guys down south have survived this week. My friend who lives down in essex said its been shocking and unbearable, the hot humid summers you have down there is one reason I would never move down south.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So thankful I live in the cooler north east, dont know how you guys down south have survived this week. My friend who lives down in essex said its been shocking and unbearable, the hot humid summers you have down there is one reason I would never move down south.
    Some of us have these new-fangled air conditioner thingies ;)
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    what bloody hot spell?

is this one of the "I live down south, therefore all the uk is the same" sort of things?

This.
  • Options
    fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It has been amazing! I was at the beach mOnday and Tuesday with the kids and we were actually swimming in the sea all day. Then Wednesday I worked in town which was fine as, despite Boris' voice of doom, it was really quiet. The kids had the pool in the garden weds an thurs and we are all tanned, relaxed and happy like we've had a week in the med (which I couldn't afford this year).

All in all a wonderful and not too expensive start to the kids summer holidays.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank the lord, ive really had enough of the tropical weather and wouldnt mind some rain
  • Options
    electronelectron Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aries_123 wrote: »
    Thank the lord, ive really had enough of the tropical weather and wouldnt mind some rain

Move up to NW England, you can get rain most days to you're
    delight:)
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    People do moan a tad! I was on holiday in Italy last year in boiling heat, in the week I was there it was 33 to 34c everyday and about 18c at night luckily we had air con in our rooms. I have recently started work in an office and it has been around 25c in there really stuffy (we have a temp reader on the wall) and when the day ends I'm dripping in sweat and the worst feeling is feeling it drip between your thighs :( public transport is slow and cumbersome in the heat as well and I have noticed most of the bus drivers leave the windows shut! why?

I'm glad of the heat dying down now but it hasnt been as hot as it was when I was in Italy last year.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The general consensus with those who have an interest in weather is that the Jet Stream is moving back south, as it was in June and July and is expected to stay there for at least the first part of August. Getting more wet and windy the north and west you go.

The weather for the middle of next week looks grim. :(
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So if it pees down next week do they have a roof they can cover the beach volleyball with or does it switch from beach volleyball to mud wrestling ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The general consensus with those who have an interest in weather is that the Jet Stream is moving back south, as it was in June and July and is expected to stay there for at least the first part of August. Getting more wet and windy the north and west you go.

The weather for the middle of next week looks grim. :(

Trouble is the met office just dont know, not long ago they said the jet stream was gonna stay too far south until mid august, then it moved back up north and then they were saying its gonna stay there and the rest of the summer wll be hot and sunny, now they are saying tis moving back south again for at least 3 weeks:confused:
    I think they spend too much time on climate change and not enough time on the actual important things like weather forecastng. I thing forecasting has gone down the pan the last 5 years or so, they clearly have no idea most of the time. I would guess they predict the weather accurately only about 50% of the time where I live.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fifilapew wrote: »
    It has been amazing! I was at the beach mOnday and Tuesday with the kids and we were actually swimming in the sea all day. Then Wednesday I worked in town which was fine as, despite Boris' voice of doom, it was really quiet. The kids had the pool in the garden weds an thurs and we are all tanned, relaxed and happy like we've had a week in the med (which I couldn't afford this year).

All in all a wonderful and not too expensive start to the kids summer holidays.

The trouble is in the UK especially the south it gets humid the minute the sun comes out in the summer, where in, say the med the heat is more drier, its not the temp thats the problem its the humidity.
  • Options
    zamba hamsterzamba hamster Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's chucking it down here in Feltham