BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know why the lovely Ellie Oldroyd is now in an almost graveyard slot?
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Pastificio wrote: »
    What-if-erey, however, I'll answer it.

It would have been viewed either through the mother's perspective, the broader female perspective, or both.

But if you start from the position of "I'm not going to like the treatment of this story" then you're going to listen with a biased mind rather than an open mind.

This morning you've quoted the opening link without actually giving it a listen. I think that sums up the approach of many critics - start the show with a closed mind to the subject.

By the way, I'm not necessarily putting you in that category. But plenty take the view of "it's presenter X Therefore I dislike it."
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,875
    Forum Member
    That's why I avoid his commentaries.
    I remember a caller to 606 a few years ago who suggested that Gerrard shouldn't be picked for England. Green went berserk.

He was on last night moaning away again!

This time still going on about the officials in the Celtic Juventus tie which was 3/4 weeks ago!

I'd really love the officials to let these so called pundits and experts at officiating take charge of a game and then stand there abusing them!

Much as I love the game itself it seems strange so many people are allowed to get away with abusing each other without any sort of punishment.

Yes they make mistakes but so do highly paid footballers and everyone else in life and wouldn't be allowed to swear at them...well maybe some do!
  • U.R.CorrectU.R.Correct Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The proportion of what YOU pay towards Rajar via your licence fee would probably be in the pennies. Just like the proportion that goes towards maintaining BBC buildings,and countless other items of cost.

e.

But isn't that the point
    No matter how small in percentage terms, it's us that foot the bills whether that be for Rajar, building maintainance or a cup of tea for the presenter.
    I've no axe to grind with any presenter. I guess that they all appeal to different sections of society. That's what a public service broadcaster should aim to do.
    I don't understand the need for secrecy over listening figures. Other sections of the BBC release theirs as do most of the commercial stations.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But isn't that the point
    No matter how small in percentage terms, it's us that foot the bills whether that be for Rajar, building maintainance or a cup of tea for the presenter.
    I've no axe to grind with any presenter. I guess that they all appeal to different sections of society. That's what a public service broadcaster should aim to do.
    I don't understand the need for secrecy over listening figures. Other sections of the BBC release theirs as do most of the commercial stations.

Well made UR
    of course individually it's pennies on each item .....

no matter what it is it's our money in tax they use which is why we are entitled to have a view on how they spend in the same way as the government wastes...sorry... spends our money too..we make known when they are wrong too...
  • Eric TristowEric Tristow Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to be forgotten on here that although Derbyshire will have some input into the programme she is just the presenter not the producer.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stephen Nolan?

Oh, bi-election.

I think Tony mentioned something about being off tonight, but I was half asleep.
  • davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen Nolan?

Oh, bi-election.

I think Tony mentioned something about being off tonight, but I was half asleep.

I've just switched over to radio 2!
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This by-election coverage is pointless. The result won't be announced until 2AM according to Sky News on Twitter.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davestoke wrote: »
    I've just switched over to radio 2!

Radio 4 for me.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen Nolan?

Oh, bi-election.

The swing could be both ways.
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »
    This by-election coverage is pointless. The result won't be announced until 2AM according to Sky News on Twitter.

Rolling news station covers rolling news story shocker...? C'mon - give Five Live a break. This by election is big news - even before the result was announced. If you have any interest in UK politics this is big. Now, it may have been better to combine 4 and 5 on this occasion. Pooling resources often makes better radio.
    Forum Member

Outside breakfast in London,,I don't know of any UK station which openly publishes individual figures for day parts. Rajar subscribers can see them, of course.
  • U.R.CorrectU.R.Correct Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Outside breakfast in London,,I don't know of any UK station which openly publishes individual figures for day parts. Rajar subscribers can see them, of course.

I didn't realise that. I'm sure I've heard that (for eg) Nick Ferrari's listening figures are now.... and Alan Braziils figures are such and so on.
    Maybe I mis- heard
    Also, why do BBC London release theirs then if it's not the done thing. All very confusing
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Rolling news station covers rolling news story shocker...? C'mon - give Five Live a break. This by election is big news - even before the result was announced. If you have any interest in UK politics this is big. Now, it may have been better to combine 4 and 5 on this occasion. Pooling resources often makes better radio.

I agree it was a big story and deserved the coverage it got, considering if the LibDems still had a future, Tories having to win seats like Eastleigh if they are going to get a majority at a GE and the rise of UKIP (protest?) vote. Though I wouldn’t really describe 5 live as a rolling news station any more, often I wish it would cover more news rather than Tony Livesey’s football discussions and text in what you can see from your window type content.

Also having Michael Gove on Breakfast, “we are listening but we are not going to change direction” is always entertaining. ;)
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No appearance in Salford this week. 1 day on strike and one at an OB.

8 days out of 33 . 24% year to date

Sounds like another riveting show . 'have you been stalked' .I'm out

An appearance today is the only Salford show out of a 4 day week .

9 days out of 37 . 24%
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed the phone in this morning with Nicky Campbell about Eastleigh. Virtually all the callers were supporters of UKIP, and Nicky didn't like this at all. He kept on asking them about Burkas and the smoking ban assuming that we liberals would agree that these were unacceptable policies for a political party. All of them couldn't care less about Burkas and thought it was quite reasonable to have separate rooms in pubs for non smokers and smokers.

He was pleading for people to phone in who disagreed , but we only got some incoherant scouser on who accused UKIP of racism etc. I doubt whether 5Live will risk such another phone in which doesn't give the correct opinion
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    I enjoyed the phone in this morning with Nicky Campbell about Eastleigh. Virtually all the callers were supporters of UKIP, and Nicky didn't like this at all. He kept on asking them about Burkas and the smoking ban assuming that we liberals would agree that these were unacceptable policies for a political party. All of them couldn't care less about Burkas and thought it was quite reasonable to have separate rooms in pubs for non smokers and smokers.

He was pleading for people to phone in who disagreed , but we only got some incoherant scouser on who accused UKIP of racism etc. I doubt whether 5Live will risk such another phone in which doesn't give the correct opinion
    They don't go for a 'correct' opinion. Perhaps this programme (which I didn't hear) is proof for the anti liberal-leftie brigade that callers are filtered only to be allowed on the air to promote the 'BBC leftie' view
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »

I heard a bit of this phone in and when a UKIP supporter/ caller said, when she came to London it was like being in another country, Campbell did reply with a sarcastic ' really ??? ' but there again he always does when anything a caller says is remotely controversial.He did allow her to say what she thought which was fair enough and better than shouting her down or raising their voice, as other presenters sometimes do to their callers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard a bit of this phone in and when a UKIP supporter/ caller said, when she came to London it was like being in another country, Campbell did reply with a sarcastic ' really ??? ' but there again he always does when anything a caller says is remotely controversial.He did allow her to say what she thought which was fair enough and :obetter than shouting her down or raising their voice, as other presenters sometimes do to their callers.

I'll have to relisten to that sounds like a :D !
    Do you mean Nolan??? :rolleyes:

Breakfast -
    I love jennie gow but having her talking formula 1 with Rachel burden was excruciating.... :o

Not exactly about the show but the stupid cow interviewed who's 5 year old spent £1700 on a game I had zero sympathy for.....she was distracted dashing to the child minder with her 5 children....the father gave him the Pass code & he racked up the credits......
    I wish Apple hadn't refunded it.....
    Because.....Was it on done on peppa pig or cbeebies.... ??

*ahem* No......... they let a 5 year old play zombies versus ninjas...... :confused::eek:

Can't believe RB didn't pick her up on that but guess he'll be future phone in fodder on a VD show about media violence corrupting youth........

Idiots … I see this stuff all the time with moron parents...

no wonder the world's in a mess if supposedly intelligent people let kids that age on stuff they shouldn't be on ......
    Actually heard her on news tonight & realised that she then had said it's ok HIS ipad is safe now....5 year old with an ipad....jeeesus..... :(
    Forum Member
    I didn't realise that. I'm sure I've heard that (for eg) Nick Ferrari's listening figures are now.... and Alan Braziils figures are such and so on.
    Maybe I mis- heard
    Also, why do BBC London release theirs then if it's not the done thing. All very confusing

Sorry, what I meant was that the London based stations - and BBC Networks, will often publish figures for the breakfast shows, but rarely other day parts. From the perspective of the mainstream media, breakfast is where the battle is. The media pages sometimes list figures for other shows, if there's a specific press release etc

But generally speaking stations don't give hour by hour breakdowns. So if, for instance, someone was insisting that Five Live did this for Derbyshire, every other station would have to do the same - otherwise you're openly sharing data with the competition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dreary show from Nolan....moaning how long it took him to travel to eastleigh on the train as he had no idea of UK geography apparently?? :confused:

Is it that difficult to realise it's near Southampton & on the south coast & so of course it will take around 5 hours on the train......should he really be a national broadcaster???

On the plus side...didn't catch his name fully but think it was a Giles with Eleanor oldroyd
    (I do like her but have a bit of gripe with her as part of Sports personality panel as their selections were poor) BUT
    both were very decent this morning & made a good pairing and show....quite enjoyable.....
  • pondsmanpondsman Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Giles Dilnot and Eleanor Oldroyd did Breakfast last weekend as well and were very refreshing. Nice change from the weekday trio (Campbell, Burden and Riley). As I've said before, I like Campbell but he is increasingly taking the whole thing over and treating the others as foils for his particular sense of humour.
    But for lack of knowledge, nothing comes close to Richard Bacon who, while talking about the Pope leaving the Vatican on Thursday, told us that 'the Pope has another house,,,somewhere', and said that on the screen he could see 'some sort of honour guard in a strange orange and blue uniform' (a reference to the Swiss Guard presumably). So much for 'inform, educate and entertain'! One out of three is not good enough! Bacon really must go!
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pondsman wrote: »
    Giles Dilnot and Eleanor Oldroyd did Breakfast last weekend as well and were very refreshing. Nice change from the weekday trio (Campbell, Burden and Riley). As I've said before, I like Campbell but he is increasingly taking the whole thing over and treating the others as foils for his particular sense of humour.
    But for lack of knowledge, nothing comes close to Richard Bacon who, while talking about the Pope leaving the Vatican on Thursday, told us that 'the Pope has another house,,,somewhere', and said that on the screen he could see 'some sort of honour guard in a strange orange and blue uniform' (a reference to the Swiss Guard presumably). So much for 'inform, educate and entertain'! One out of three is not good enough! Bacon really must go!

Not quite as good as Richard Bacon's effort at Wimbledon

RB:This must be the best Wimbledon ever!

Michael Stich: How many have you been to?

RB: One
    Forum Member
    redvers36 wrote: »
    Not quite as good as Richard Bacon's effort at Wimbledon

RB:This must be the best Wimbledon ever!

Michael Stich: How many have you been to?

RB: One

How many years are your going to be bringing that up for?
This discussion has been closed.