Forum Member
    lordloz wrote: »
    And Jasmine nails it again :)

How so? See above.
  • Options
    franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they can’t justify the entry fee with DQF?

I'm sure they will have.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC should pull out of the Sonies. Nobody outside radio cares about them or knows what they are. The licence fee should be spent on content not award ceremonies.
    Would the second of those be the death of the IVF pioneer? Quite a big story in its own right, I'd say.

No, some research I think.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »
    The BBC should pull out of the Sonies. Nobody outside radio cares about them or knows what they are. The licence fee should be spent on content not award ceremonies.

Agreed - as I said upthread, awards as a whole are back slapping exercises - but radio is no different from any other industry in that respect. However, if the BBC were to pull out there'd be enormous bad feeling within the rest of the industry.

It's also worth remembering that the Awards are part of the Radio Academy, which does a great deal of good in terms of training, masterclasses for young broadcasters and generally supporting the medium from a "cross party" perspective.

On the issue of cost, an entry is just over £100. I'm not certain how much content you could get for that money? A local radio freelance for a day. Even when added up you're still talking about a tiny amount of the overall budget.

As with everything here, perspective is important.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Eddie Mair for speech radio broadcaster of the year would be my prediction with him being the man of the moment. The type of talent that used to be on 5 live.

Depends on whose turn it is doesn’t it? VD got it last year, Eddie Mair got best interviewer, Danny Baker was inducted into the Radio Academy's hall of fame. Maybe Nicky Campbell's turn?

No nomination for Bacon again ;)

Whilst relieved that Bacon is not on the list you have to wonder how Derbyshire is? Does the new controller realise how unpopular she is? I don't know what the listening figures are but they must be going backwards - it is hard to find anyone who admits to listening to her on the rare occassions she turns up!
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member
    The Sonys clearly are not just based on quality and are mroe fo a sop to try and keep everyone happy - every year the awards seem fairly evenly divided between lots of stations, both BBC stations and commercial stations - and the sames shows hardly ever win year after year.
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Strange how they've put Danny Baker up in 2 categories. They must be frightened that he'll start bleating on Tw*tter again.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cut into the Masters coverage to get a Professor of Communicatioins on air to let us know he thinks Radio 1 should play the song on sunday. No matter his phone signal was dreadful, we still had to be subject to his opinion and a barely audible rant. A quite bizarre editorial decision.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bill Young wrote: »
    Whilst relieved that Bacon is not on the list you have to wonder how Derbyshire is? Does the new controller realise how unpopular she is? I don't know what the listening figures are but they must be going backwards - it is hard to find anyone who admits to listening to her on the rare occassions she turns up!

... On digital spy, that is.

As far as I know, she turns up most of the days she's scheduled to work. The Sony judges don't pay too much attention to the location from which programmes are broadcast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cut into the Masters coverage to get a Professor of Communicatioins on air to let us know he thinks Radio 1 should play the song on sunday. No matter his phone signal was dreadful, we still had to be subject to his opinion and a barely audible rant. A quite bizarre editorial decision.

A breaking news story on Radio 1's decision - a story carried by most British newspapers.

How dare a rolling news station behave in this way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The story broke before 5pm. This was 5 hours later.This clown added absolutely nothing to the story, but just gave us his biased rant in the style of Norman Collier.

Contrast with the opinion of Paul Gambaccini on radio 4 who also delivered a pro play verdict, done in an erudite and contextually magnificent way
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Strange how they've put Danny Baker up in 2 categories. They must be frightened that he'll start bleating on Tw*tter again.

Putting Baker up for Sonys shows just how tainted these awards are - his London ghetto shtick got tired about 30 years ago but still the londonmediabubble insists he is the best thing ever.
  • Options
    ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QuincyMD wrote: »
    Putting Baker up for Sonys shows just how tainted these awards are - his London ghetto shtick got tired about 30 years ago but still the londonmediabubble insists he is the best thing ever.

This thread just gets better every day. It's classic playground stuff - you don't like the presenter therefore the awards are tainted! I loathe Jon 'Squeaky' Gaunt but I don't think the Sonys are corrupt because he won.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This thread just gets better every day. It's classic playground stuff - you don't like the presenter therefore the awards are tainted! I loathe Jon 'Squeaky' Gaunt but I don't think the Sonys are corrupt because he won.

Brilliantly put.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Any system that awards talkSPORT as Radio Station of the year has no credibility.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Any system that awards talkSPORT as Radio Station of the year has no credibility.

I think you've just proved ahoy's point.
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QuincyMD wrote: »

not sure about tainted as such but they certainly are as credible about radio as the Brit awards are about music......most awards are an excuse for corporate back slapping & a jolly but these certainly earn an award for that at least...
    i can't see how defenders of beeb criticism expect negatives NOT be about liking the presenters its not playground stuff ...if you don't like the way shows are presented then its the person doing it who will be critical of.....if you don't like the content then its the station itself or schedulers/format/producers,etc....

Both are have been discussed here openly - some posters prefer to attack the thread poster rather than discuss the topic...thats up to them..there is no need to be hostile.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of course its playground stuff. If, say, Peter Allen was up for Speech Broadcaster of the Year, everyone on this thread would be saying what a good choice it was, and doesn't he deserve it. It's only because certain presenters who are disliked have been nominated that hey, the Sonys are phoney.
  • Options
    randy toksvigrandy toksvig Posts: 275
    Forum Member

Agreed. I can see why some people like it but there is no way it can be station of the year.
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. I can see why some people like it but there is no way it can be station of the year.

Speech station - for me BBC London - though I'd be happy with LBC too...

Speech presenter - I adore Julia Hartley-Brewer for various reasons I'll keep to myself that may break guidelines *ahem* :o:p

But realise not most people's choice so actually
    either Joanne Goode (with or without Simon Lederman) or even Robert Elms actually....
    or BBC Nottingham's own Frances Finn otherwise... .....

hmmm.....now.....is stating a preference for these over others for a discredited award playground stuff I wonder?
    I'll find out when this gets removed when it gets reported I guess...... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    Speech station - for me BBC London - though I'd be happy with LBC too...

Speech presenter - I adore Julia Hartley-Brewer for various reasons I'll keep to myself that may break guidelines *ahem* :o:p
    Gawd strewth! :eek: Tell me that ain't so.Verbal diarrhoea at its worst. Even the awful, sanctimonious VD is an improvement on JHB. And that's saying something.She even makes Richard Bacon sound intelligent.
  • Options
    James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to agree that JHB is as bad as Victoria.
    Robert Elms, however, is excellent
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Gawd strewth! :eek: Tell me that ain't so. I find even the awful, sanctimonious VD is an improvement on JHB. And that's saying something.
    I get the impression that the attraction for lordloz isn't to do with her presentation skills!

I've never heard JHB present a radio programme, I just remember her from Sky News where she used to do the paper review at 11.30pm. In fact she may be back on there, I'm sure I saw her on there a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've probably heard already, but The Monday Club finished an hour and a half early and went to a news special about the incident in Boston.
  • Options
    davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really fail to see the need for this blanket coverage. The facts aren't changing it's very very boring.
This discussion has been closed.