Are cover songs a dying trend?

ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,235
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok, so back in the 90s and early 00s, cover singles were very common with the likes of Steps, Liberty X, Atomic Kitten etc.

But these days, it seems cover singles only appear for charity singles and X Factor winners initial release.

So is it just not common anymore, or is it still going on and I just don't notice as much?

Don't get cover singles mixed with samples in dance songs though, that on the other hand is very popular at the moment!

Comments

• Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Yeah, there are definitely less covers in the mainstream than there used to be, now it's just the John Lewis advert songs and stuff like that.

I don't know why this has happened tbh, but I don't mind, I usually find covers of songs pretty boring as 90% of the time it's only ballads that get covered.

But there's loads of sampling atm, especially in hip hop songs like Nicki Minaj's and Jeremih's latest releases.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Unsurprising really considering Westlife have split up. I'm pretty certain they were responsible for almost 90% of all covers released in the 00's. :D

On a serious note though, I am glad. IMO covers are often just the result of laziness on the artist/record labels part.

I also hate that Comic Relief and Children in Need singles are almost universally covers these days. Who Do You Think You Are and All About You were both brilliant RND singles - and both were original songs! Whatever happened to creativity?!?!
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,623
    Forum Member
    The thing is British pop music was at its most disposable between 1998 up until around 2004. It only seemed to improve (albeit slowly) between 2005 and 2008.

I'd much rather have a cover like Valerie by Mark Ronson feat. Amy Winehouse purely for the fact it couldn't be more different to The Zutons original yet it was, imo, one of the most joyous covers I'd ever heard.

Thankfully the days of Westlife, Robson Green & Jerome Flynn and 911 are well and truly over. Who needs copy cat covers when you've got the originals? :D
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's because most covers are awful.

Little Mix doing "Word Up!" is probably the most recent example and it was an absolute abomination.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,623
    Forum Member
    I agree completely about Word Up! by Little Mix. It was bad enough Mel B belched her way through the song back in the dark days of British pop. Little Mix have done so much better with their quirky original songs like Move.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

They will always exist.
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    It's because most covers are awful.

Little Mix doing "Word Up!" is probably the most recent example and it was an absolute abomination.

I'm a HUUUUUGE Little Mix fan but agree Word Up! was TERRIBLE. they had a song on thier Salute album called Competition and another on the deluxe version called Stand Down that are both originals, both fan favourites, perfect for sports relief whilst still being quirky and a mix of genres.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    They're still around but they don't seem to be as popular as they used to be. I think most of the general public are fed up of them now. I don't mind the odd charity cover if it's good (I quite liked Little Mix's cover of Word Up!) but overall I prefer original songs. I think there seems to be less covers in the charts now since Westlife split up :D
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    The thing is British pop music was at its most disposable between 1998 up until around 2004. It only seemed to improve (albeit slowly) between 2005 and 2008.

I'd much rather have a cover like Valerie by Mark Ronson feat. Amy Winehouse purely for the fact it couldn't be more different to The Zutons original yet it was, imo, one of the most joyous covers I'd ever heard.

Thankfully the days of Westlife, Robson Green & Jerome Flynn and 911 are well and truly over. Who needs copy cat covers when you've got the originals? :D

Didn't like Valerie but I agree with what you're saying. There is absolutely no point in doing a by the numbers cover version. If you do a cover it either needs to be better than the original (which is very rare) or bring something different to the song. If it's neither of those, then don't bother imo
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Has anyone seen this cover?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vPqf0BJkQM
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Didn't like Valerie but I agree with what you're saying. There is absolutely no point in doing a by the numbers cover version. If you do a cover it either needs to be better than the original (which is very rare) or bring something different to the song. If it's neither of those, then don't bother imo

Essentially true I guess, the other reason to do a cover would be to bring an obscure song to more public attention.

This is probably an example of where the cover doesn't really add much to the original. The vocal is a but flat on this Within Temptation version.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,975
    Forum Member
    One Direction's cover of Teenage Kicks and One Way Or Another has the distinct honour of destroying not one but two classic songs all in one lol.

I'm glad they seem to have died off, although I did like a couple of the cheesy pop band covers from the early 00s.
  • DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Vamps have just brought out a cover of Oh Cecilia by Simon & Garfunkel.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=COwkCW38J54
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Essentially true I guess, the other reason to do a cover would be to bring an obscure song to more public attention. .

Yes, agree with that as well.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sampling is where it's at now :p
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    No.

They will always exist.

Of course they'll always exist, but there are always trends in the music industry, everything fades in and out of the mainstream. There are definitely less covers than there were in the past in the mainstream. There are still a few, but not as many as before when they were really common.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »

robson and jerome were before 98 :p

but i dont agree about it being most disposable between those dates nor that its improved after 05.

i presume we are talking about whats often referred to as 'pure pop', but id suggest between the dates you highlighted was also the time of arguably some of the greatest 'pop'. the spice girls for eg, s club 7, blue, girls aloud, also had some great original pop tracks released.

at least in that era you had some pop greats and acts with their own identity.

what have we had since 05?... faceless boybands who are more or less the same act. now there have been some good pop in amongst it, but theres no orginality, no identity.

as for the op's question.... there are covers, theyll come in waves, and has been pointed out, they arent so much direct covers now but sampled half covers or modified covers like 'oh cecelia'.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    release cover version = give away a bunch of money to someone else - stick the cover on your album and they get a slice of your album sales

write your own song = keep more money - someone else may cover it and you get more money
  • MrRenMrRen Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah! Only seem to hear covers for X Factor Winners Singles, Charity Singles and Live Lounge covers! This is in no way a bad thing. However, Sampling is on the rise which is equally as annoying!
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THe odd thing is, in heavy metal and its endless sub-genres, covers are becoming more and more common. Typical example is taking a pop song, something nice and light, and of course trying to make it as heavy as it can be (often to the point it doesnt really feel like a cover as a different song with the same lyrics and the odd chorus kept in tact. Of course metal has about as much originality as any other genre so a lot of it ends up sounding the exact same as the rest)

Covers are alright, but as long as its the odd bonus track I am ok with it. Sometimes, in VERY rare occasions, a cover can surpass the original, although I could only list a few times that has happened, whilst I could fill the entire data servers for DS with "meh" to outright shite covers.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    release cover version = give away a bunch of money to someone else - stick the cover on your album and they get a slice of your album sales

write your own song = keep more money - someone else may cover it and you get more money

True, but wouldnt a well known song being covered stand more chance of being a hit then a new unknown song?
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    this is how to do a cover.

The original
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIkoSPqjaU4

Cover #1 - adding a bit of comedy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNc9phYujWY
    http://www.discogs.com/Jim-Carrey-Somebody-To-Love/release/1881919

cover # 2 - changing the genre bringing it bang up to date
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6HSlZBNwUQ
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True, but wouldnt a well known song being covered stand more chance of being a hit then a new unknown song?

it depends on the artist and the song. however you could sell less copies of a new song and make more money and serve a better purpose of promoting an artist by releasing a new song. there are loads of shite covers released that don't sell much, however likewise there are loads of new songs that don't sell much either. but writing your own songs is why certain people are raking in money years after they had a hit or stopped being popular or stopped touring, and why other acts that were big in the past are broke now as they didn't write their own material
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure about the making money argument, cover versions do certainly help the original writer financially. But I'm glad that John Cale and then Jeff Buckley did their cover versions of 'Hallelujah'. I suspect they recorded the song because they thought they could a better or different version than the original.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are cover versions a dying trend? Hopefully.