Options

'Broke With Expensive Taste' is a great album!

Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
Forum Member
i finally got round to getting azealia banks album this week.
i think its great, and i have to say im surprised! i would have got it earlier had i known.

i can see why it doesnt work on a commercial level though, and i imagine she sold as much as she was ever going to sell. its certainly no Nicki Minaj type music (and i love nicki aswell)

anyone else get it?

Comments

• Options
    Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't tired of it yet, its a fantastic album, Heavy Metal & Reflective, Desperado, are the stand outs for me, also i always find something else i like about the album upon each listen, solid debut.
  • Options
    IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    I think it's absolutely shite.
  • Options
    MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    I think it's a great album to.

Some of my favourites are Soda, Ice Princess, Idle Delilah, Yung Rapunxel, Heavy Metal And Reflective.

I like Nude Beach A Go-Go, even though I can't normally stand that sort of thing.

I see her Coachella set got a lot of praise, lets hope we see more positive things like that and less about her arguments.
  • Options
    spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a reason critics loved it. Phenomenal album from beginning to end. She's streets ahead of her contemporaries when it comes to creativity. People should really put aside whatever they think of her & listen to it.

Her second album will be out end of Summer & she's worked on a track with Dr Luke.
  • Options
    pinkprintpinkprint Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's absolutely shite.

But are you even a fan of hers though ?
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pinkprint wrote: »

If he thinks she is shite it's a good indicator that he is not a fan....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pinkprint wrote: »
    If he thinks she is shite it's a good indicator that he is not a fan....

Was a huge fan through all the delays, the push backs, her idiotic behaviour and so on and then she released the album and I thought it was dire.
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's very talented. Has a lot to say on Twitter etc. but then honestly how many people do we know in real life who bitch about other people? Its just unfortunate that Twitter is such a public platform.

I'm sure there are celebrities who were known for being outspoken and having strong opinions in the past and before Twitter was a thing. I can think of two off the top of my head - Lily Allen and Noel Gallagher, and I'm sure I've heard Christina Aguilera has made some offensive remarks in the past too. Just they didn't have such a public platform. But then, I don't quite get Twitter, I'm not sure why people use it the way they do, like a personal diary that the whole world can see...

Ms Banks is definitely a very talented rapper and music artist, and she's a great, energetic and confident performer too. I absolutely believe her issues with her label, that they would have encouraged her to make more commercial music. Good on her for saying no, I think, I imagine that path was made difficult for her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's very talented. Has a lot to say on Twitter etc. but then honestly how many people do we know in real life who bitch about other people? Its just unfortunate that Twitter is such a public platform.

I'm sure there are celebrities who were known for being outspoken and having strong opinions in the past and before Twitter was a thing. I can think of two off the top of my head - Lily Allen and Noel Gallagher, and I'm sure I've heard Christina Aguilera has made some offensive remarks in the past too. Just they didn't have such a public platform. But then, I don't quite get Twitter, I'm not sure why people use it the way they do, like a personal diary that the whole world can see...

Ms Banks is definitely a very talented rapper and music artist, and she's a great, energetic and confident performer too. I absolutely believe her issues with her label, that they would have encouraged her to make more commercial music. Good on her for saying no, I think, I imagine that path was made difficult for her.

Good post.

I know for certain she was supposed to record a number of tracks with Pharrell but she didn't turn upto any of the recording sessions in protest. They were trying to find a Pop/crossover hit for awhile which is why there was a huge delay. I'm glad she broke free from her contract because we wouldn't be getting this second album so soon otherwise. Maybe the tracks she's done with Dr Luke will give her a crossover hit, I hope so.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Was a huge fan through all the delays, the push backs, her idiotic behaviour and so on and then she released the album and I thought it was dire.

hmmm im not sure what you were expecting then :confused: did u think it would all sound like '212'?

i am loving it more with each listen.
  • Options
    Kyliefan001Kyliefan001 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Loving it too!

If you love this cd, give Dirty Gold by Angel Haze a listen!
  • Options
    PetroliciousPetrolicious Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She sounds like Bart Simpson
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only listened to it twice so far and can't decide if I love it or hate it. Weird.
  • Options
    Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She could and should have been huge, she is way more talented than Nicki. The problem is that Azealia's deeply ugly personality totally alienated her right at the beginning of her career. I'd be very surprised if she ever has success on the mainstream stage now which is a shame in many ways because the girl has talent.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good post.

I know for certain she was supposed to record a number of tracks with Pharrell but she didn't turn upto any of the recording sessions in protest. They were trying to find a Pop/crossover hit for awhile which is why there was a huge delay. I'm glad she broke free from her contract because we wouldn't be getting this second album so soon otherwise. Maybe the tracks she's done with Dr Luke will give her a crossover hit, I hope so.

I love Azelia and think she is hugely talented and would and should have been huge. Lets not pretend the music is uncommercial had she released a follow up to 212 in time and the album she would have been massive. Her mouth and attitude got her into trouble I'm all for being outspoken and having beliefs but she was rude, petty and damn ugly at times that is what delayed her album diminished her chnaces and lets pretend otherwise
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aura101 wrote: »
    hmmm im not sure what you were expecting then :confused: did u think it would all sound like '212'?

i am loving it more with each listen.

I was expecting better.

I hate that people assume 212 is someone else's favourite track purely because it's her most well known - it was my least favourite of all the songs out before the album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I love Azelia and think she is hugely talented and would and should have been huge. Lets not pretend the music is uncommercial had she released a follow up to 212 in time and the album she would have been massive. Her mouth and attitude got her into trouble I'm all for being outspoken and having beliefs but she was rude, petty and damn ugly at times that is what delayed her album diminished her chnaces and lets pretend otherwise

Completely untrue.

I know for a fact (;-)) the label liked the album but in their eyes it had zero hit singles and no commercial appeal. Pharrell was roped in to try to see if they could get a hit together, when this didn't happen she was told her album would be shelved if she didn't attend future sessions with him. When that didn't happen they sent her back and she made Chasing Time.

Labels love controversy. They didn't see her antics on Twitter and go "Ok Azealia because you did that we're delaying your album" - it's as simple as they spent so much money on her and she wasn't rewarding them with hits. Nothing else.

I disagree the music is commercial, besides Chasing Time, there are no Pop/crossover hits on Broke With Expensive Taste. I for one am glad she's gone down the path she has. She's too erratic for the major label system.
  • Options
    DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really impressed with this album. High quality and enjoyable too. It's rare to find someone who can rap and sing well and actually her singing voice is lovely.
  • Options
    GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favourite albums of last year, I loved Azealia since 2012 and she didn't disappoint me at all. The album wasn't what I was expecting but it was better! Soda, Miss Amor, Miss Camaraderie and JFK are my favourites. The only song I can't take to is Nude Beach a Go Go but I appreciate it for how wacky it is :D