Healthy Veggi Stir Frys?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,047
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

I have never been into Chinese food or stir fry but in a bid to widen my horizons I am looking at trying to make a stir fry.

I have a couple of questions, are there any easy stir fry recipes that are fool proof, how can I make it as healthy as possible? What oil do I use and how much? can I use the spray oil or do I need a good dollop of the real stuff.

Sorry for the all the questions, thanks in advance to anyone who can offer any assistance.

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Preferably use ground nut or peanut oil. Veg or sunflower oil is also good though.

You don't have to use too much. After the initial fry if the pan is dry add a little water to steam the veg instead of adding more oil.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a veg stir fry mix for a quid in the co-op yesterday...added to it a ton of chopped mushrooms and cherry tomatoes and fried in tiny bit of olive oil and slung a fair bit of soy sauce on. Bloody lovely and cos the veg are still quite crunchy you have to eat it fairly slowly so it fills you up more.
  • GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A mix of sunflower oil and a little dash of sesame oil will give you more flavour. As will a dash of rice wine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks folks, is it generally considered healthy? I am just thinking it might be carb heavy? are some type of noodles better for you than others?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Yes it is generally considered to be healthy. Ofcouse it depends what you put in but usually it's cheap filler of noodles or rice, a little meat/fish and then a load of fresh veg.

There are different noodles for different dishes and lifestyles. Most common is probably egg noodle, but you can get wholemeal, buckwheat, rice noodle etc.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Gaditano wrote: »
    A mix of sunflower oil and a little dash of sesame oil will give you more flavour. As will a dash of rice wine.

I can use just Sesame oil, it gives a great flavour that means you can avoid salt. Rice bran oil is good too but not a lot of flavour in it.

In fact, I would go as far to say the type of oil you use in a stir fry is what constitutes the dish.
  • norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,676
    Forum Member
    I start it off with a little neutral oil, such as sunflower. I add some garlic and ginger (I often cheat and use the paste)n brown some strips of chicken that I've marinated for a couple of hours,and then the veg.

When the oil's disappeared I add a couple of splashes of light soy sauce and a glug of dry sherry (a good substitute for rice wine). Right at the end I stir through a splash of sesame oil for flavour, as it doesn't take heat particularly well and I find putting it in at the beginning spoils the flavour of it.

I also buy the bags of stirfry veg and add extras. Mushrooms are good, tinned bamboo shoots or water chestnuts add flavour, texture and make it more filling, peanuts are good,too. Most times I don't add noodles or rice as I find the chicken and veg filling enough.

For the chicken marinade, I basically use the same flavourings as for the stirfry, so a couple of tablespoons of neutral oil as a carrier, to which I add crushed garlic and ginger, a splash of soy, a dash of sesame oil, some ground pepper and some chilli flakes.
  • LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @norbitonite, sounds very yumyum.

A couple of years back I made this plum chutney and I still have one jar left. When I make a stir fry, I usually add a spoon (or more) at the end.Whoah!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Tesco do a very nice Stir-fry oil, which is garlic and seseme flavoured :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the helpful replies, I will get cracking as some of those recipes sound yum (minus the meat).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    cutekookie wrote: »
    Thanks for all the helpful replies, I will get cracking as some of those recipes sound yum (minus the meat).

If you want a replacement to the meat, Cauldron do a really nice spiced tofu (which is ready made in the Vegetarian fridge section) which goes really nice with stir-frys. It is also pre-pressed (so it's firm!), spiced and cut so it's really easy to make too. Worth a try, I love it :D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Cabbage,mushrooms,spring onions,leeks,tomatoes,garlic and star anise make a good stirfry.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I have never been into Chinese food or stir fry but in a bid to widen my horizons I am looking at trying to make a stir fry.

I have a couple of questions, are there any easy stir fry recipes that are fool proof, how can I make it as healthy as possible? What oil do I use and how much? can I use the spray oil or do I need a good dollop of the real stuff.

Sorry for the all the questions, thanks in advance to anyone who can offer any assistance.

stud-u-like's ingredients sound 1st class to me - and they're very healthy too.

Don't use spray oil - use the proper stuff.
    I enjoy fat in my food - it's rich and satiating and gives flavour.
    Tip - Don't have noodles - they are just carby stodge.
  • norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,676
    Forum Member

Oops, sorry. Hadn't realised you meant vegetarian. Had read it as vegetable stir fry. If you're trying my recipe without the chicken, then chuck in a chopped chilli and some peanuts or cashews.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use beansprouts instead of noodles. I don't miss them when I have plenty of beansprouts.
  • marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on a diet and did some the other day. Noodles are quite calorific BUT the thread ones aren't so bad plus if you're not having meat then you can add some.

I tend to buy the packet stir fry and a pack of beansprouts, add mushrroms and a red pepper. Crushed or fely chopped garlic, chinese 5 spice (just the ready made jar) and soy sauce.

Ooh I also bought frozen baby corn. It's cheaper and you can oull it out whenever you do another stir fry

If you like it hot add a chilli and a bit of fresh ginger (just buy the lazy stuff)

I use about 4 sprays of the 1 cal oil. When I cook it I taste, taste and taste to get a nice flavour of the soy, chilli, ginger garlic and 5 spice. If I think it needs more I add it. I add a small amount of thread noodles near the end just to bulk it out.

Very low cal and low fat and tastes lush.