Studio Ghibli

13»

Comments

• JCRJCR Posts: 24,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark A wrote: »
    That should nicely traumatize some kids out there. Think they're going to see magic flying bus cats and end up watching the true horrors of war. Always was a bizarre pairing that pretty much only the Japanese would even consider. Both brilliant films, of course, but as a double bill, I'm not convinced.

Regards

Mark

I was sorta surprised it's a 12A. The bbfc have handed 15's out to films with far tamer content than Fireflies before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    I was sorta surprised it's a 12A. The bbfc have handed 15's out to films with far tamer content than Fireflies before.

I watched Grave of the Fireflies today. I think I did like it in the end, and I can see why people would cry at it, but maybe it was at an unfair disadvantage because I've seen a few upsetting films/games before, so it had less of an effect on me. I think watching a playthrough of the Walking Dead video game was the last time I was seriously emotionally invested in something, and it seems that after that, hardly anything can phase me lol. Maybe I'll watch it again in the future. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched Grave of the Fireflies today. I think I did like it in the end, and I can see why people would cry at it, but maybe it was at an unfair disadvantage because I've seen a few upsetting films/games before, so it had less of an effect on me. I think watching a playthrough of the Walking Dead video game was the last time I was seriously emotionally invested in something, and it seems that after that, hardly anything can phase me lol. Maybe I'll watch it again in the future. :)

I was just saying, in terms of anime, for example, the last DC Comics feature to be released in the UK, The Dark Knight Returns part 1, is a 15 and it's less violent and horrific than Grave of the Fireflies, in my 'umble opinion in any case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    I was just saying, in terms of anime, for example, the last DC Comics feature to be released in the UK, The Dark Knight Returns part 1, is a 15 and it's less violent and horrific than Grave of the Fireflies, in my 'umble opinion in any case.

Fair enough. :) Even if I didn't cry at it, I definitely felt for the characters, especially for Seita with what happens at the end - pretty horrible when you think about it.

On a brighter note, has anyone watched "Panda! Go Panda!"? It's not Studio Ghibli per se but it was created by Miyazaki and directed by Isao Takahata back in 1972. I found it in HMV the other day and watched it on Sunday and it was awesome! :D If you've seen My Neighbour Totoro, Panda Go Panda is basically a purer version of the joy from that film. :D I highly recommend it, and fortunately it can be bought pretty cheap online. Here's the opening for a taste of the awesomeness. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwd9W6VwIu4
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough. :) Even if I didn't cry at it, I definitely felt for the characters, especially for Seita with what happens at the end - pretty horrible when you think about it.

On a brighter note, has anyone watched "Panda! Go Panda!"? It's not Studio Ghibli per se but it was created by Miyazaki and directed by Isao Takahata back in 1972. I found it in HMV the other day and watched it on Sunday and it was awesome! :D If you've seen My Neighbour Totoro, Panda Go Panda is basically a purer version of the joy from that film. :D I highly recommend it, and fortunately it can be bought pretty cheap online. Here's the opening for a taste of the awesomeness. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwd9W6VwIu4

Not yet, but having seen nearly all of Studio Ghibli films (apart from My Neighbours the Yamadas) I'd like to see more anime so I'll definatly look out for it, thanks for the tip. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They announced at the Venice film festival yesterday that The Wind Rises is Hayao Miyazaki's final film. http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/venice-hayao-miyazaki-to-retire-after-competition-pic-the-wind-rises/

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhHoCnRg1Yw