Options

The Great British Bake Off - New Series in August

Comments

• Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pies next week...Cherry Pie is my favourite, closely followed by a steak and kidney!
  • Options
    HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    Good night everyone. See you next week for pies (even more yum!)

I might see some of you tomorrow in the Celeb Masterchef thread!
  • Options
    AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See you all next week, thank you for the company :D

For the MC people see you tomorrow on the MC thread :D
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Is it just me or is there a real lack of comeraderie this year ? Maybe it will come later when there are less of them but right now they dont even seem to be in the same room .
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope that seeing as they are called custard tarts I will spared that pretension pillock Paul going on about creme pat.
    Totally different thing isn't it? Creme pat is still 'runny' to a degree whereas the custard in a custard tart is completely set by the baking. Like the difference between jam & jelly :). As long as you're not American, they get that so wrong.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it just me or is there a real lack of comeraderie this year ? Maybe it will come later when there are less of them but right now they dont even seem to be in the same room .

I really disagree.

They were all hugging each other like crazy at the end of this episode, Mark waxed lyrical about what a fabulous time he had had and what great friends he had made and you could see at least two others stressing out whist Sue, Mel and Howard were transferring his bake in the clip from next week.

Add to that the fact that this is only week three and I don't see this being any different to previous series.
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope that seeing as they are called custard tarts I will spared that pretension pillock Paul going on about creme pat.

What's he on about - they're called egg custard tarts in M&S :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    You can put custard on anything...:D

Hamster?
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bye,,,
  • Options
    Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member

I thought it was lovely how Ali put his arm around Deborah when her name was announced ( I am very smitten with Ali though so may be a touch biased!) . I was a bit weepy at the end as they all seemed lovely.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    I really disagree.

They were all hugging each other like crazy at the end of this episode, Mark waxed lyrical about what a fabulous time he had had and what great friends he had made and you could see at least two others stressing out whist Sue, Mel and Howard were transferring his bake in the clip from next week.

Fair enough , maybe I took my eye of the ball this week !! Actually I did zone out a little when the poached meringues were on .!:D
  • Options
    CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    Totally different thing isn't it? Creme pat is still 'runny' to a degree whereas the custard in a custard tart is completely set by the baking. Like the difference between jam & jelly :). As long as you're not American, they get that so wrong.

yes they are but Paul seems to enjoy saying creme pat so often that he sometimes does it just to annoy me.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough , maybe I took my eye of the ball this week !! Actually I did zone out a little when the poached meringues were on .!:D

Easily done! I have remained conscious this evening, but yesterday I did that 'oh I think I just need to rest my eyes for a moment' thing :o
  • Options
    CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »

I bet Paul is banned from M&S for being too bossy

He would be if I was CoE of Marks that's for sure. :D
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    yes they are but Paul seems to enjoy saying creme pat so often that he sometimes does it just to annoy me.

bib: he does :D
    it seems like any type of custard he refers to as creme pat....it's like calling all the different flours "self raising"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Why do they always have kitchenAid mixers on these programmes.
    Everyone I know has a Kenwood. Less glam but far more reliable.

They used to have Kenwoods and have now changed to Kitchenaids like Saturday Kitchen.

Simon Hopkinson and Raymond Blanc still use Kenwoods though, the last time I looked.
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    ichou wrote: »
    They used to have Kenwoods and have now changed to Kitchenaids like Saturday Kitchen.

Simon Hopkinson and Raymond Blanc still use Kenwoods though, the last time I looked.

i like him, yes he does use Kenwood
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I read in the paper that he's now dating a girl from "Take me Out"... #midlifecrisis

He's turning into Gregg Wallace........
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two first rounds were yuk as far as I'm concerned. I don't like trifle, and the meringues in custard for me is just two lots of slop. I like texture in my food. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lenitive wrote: »

Creme anglais is supposed to be like our usual (english) custard served lukewarm and somewhat runny, whereas creme pat (which does have a bit of cornflour in it) sets a bit more solidly in patisserie items like fruit tarts.

Custard tarts are completely different, where the egg, sugar and milk is uncooked when going in the oven and sets in the pastry case, like a sweet quiche..........

Stop me now.......I'm big on all forms of custard!
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think they're also being a bit naughty with the editing PP! Deliberately capturing shots of the bakers giving dirty looks etc to heighten the sense of rivalry and competition.

I'll miss my kitchen fitter / dad :( but as he said, there was no other choice but to send him home.

I know Ruby's doing very well now, but I just can't get excited about her. Likewise Frances so far has been a bit on the dull side. Wish Howard and Ali were doing better as I've really taken to them and want to root for them to win. Liking Kimberley too.
  • Options
    PoppylenaPoppylena Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    I've never even heard of those meringue islands thingies. Now, I like meringue but I'm not sure about the custard. Would using chocolate sauce instead still be a meringue island thingy? ;)

I'm still liking Kimberley. She's always so smile-y and happy. I hope she's in the final.

I'm glad we are seeing more of Christine. She sounds like Mary, I think. Who does she look like? I know she could easily pass as Mary's sister but someone else as well. I'm thinking Honor Blackman but I'm not 100% on that.

Poor Deborah. It really wasn't her week.

Howard's lack of chin distracts me. I try not to focus negatively on the contestants looks as it goes against the feel of the programme for me but after somebody I know pointed out that he looks like Sideshow Bob without the hair that's all I can see. I'm possibly a bad person. ;)
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had such lovely evening watching all of them cook and bake and fuss about!:D

Liked the preview where all the others were covering their mouths when sue and mel were helping howard taking out his 'stuff'.:)
  • Options
    Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Howard remind anyone else of Rory from Mrs Brown's Boys?

Yeah quite a bit, now you say it :)

I felt bad for Deborah :(, I thought they might let her off and keep her because I though she seemed strong previously.
    I was a bit annoyed at Sue Perkins frivolity when Deborah was getting genuinely stressed, could have showed a bit more compassion.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Poppylena wrote: »
    I've never even heard of those meringue islands thingies. Now, I like meringue but I'm not sure about the custard. Would using chocolate sauce instead still be a meringue island thingy? ;)

You can definitely make a chocolate version. I remember Clarissa Dickson Wright making one on Two Fat Ladies
This discussion has been closed.