I'm ordering Mad About Macarons, Macarons and Macaron Magic :D
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    PoppylenaPoppylena Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Well, I was wrong about Christine having a bad week. Thankfully. I like Christine.

Kimberley and Ruby - scarily close there. It shows that nobody is safe and anybody can have a bad week. Kimberley looked really, really shocked that she was not going home.

I'm really warming to Howard. I bet he's really fun to work with (totally not influenced by the footage we've seen of him bringing his baking to work, not at all influenced... ;) )

I noticed something at the end when they were discussing who would be star baker/going home that I'm going to look out for next week. When they did the cut away where Paul and Mary give it the whole 'now it is up to us to decide' the two biscuit towers they showed were Christine's and Rob's. Has anyone noticed whether this has been the case in earlier episodes? (For example, were there lingering shots of Kimberley's and Ali's pies last week?)
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clarkie66 wrote: »
    Ahh I liked Rob but I'm relieved that Howard survived. Christine was fantastic today and she never gives the impression she is going to have a disaster week.

She did have a wobble the other week, i forget which week it was but about two weeks ago.... maybe pudding week?
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poppylena wrote: »
    When they did the cut away where Paul and Mary give it the whole 'now it is up to us to decide' the two biscuit towers they showed were Christine's and Rob's. Has anyone noticed whether this has been the case in earlier episodes? (For example, were there lingering shots of Kimberley's and Ali's pies last week?)
    I've got them recorded, I'll have a look.

Update : Nope, last week's cutaway after the 'we need to make a decision' speech was of some tulips in one of the flower beds outside the tent. No lingering shots of any bakes.
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    I'm ordering Mad About Macarons, Macarons and Macaron Magic :D

i have the Macarons: Chic and Delicious French treats one!!! nice clear instructions ( i had never made them before)
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Christine's bavarian clock was amazing.

Not only preactical and pre-portioned for diners in the form of shortcake fingers, but also splendid attention to detail. Loved the clock face, and the icing like snow/icicles dripping from the 'eaves' of the clocktower.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    Yup. Mr Hollywood knows what he's taking about.
    Macarons are the meringuey ones
    Macaroons are the coconuty ones
    And macarenas are the dancey ones
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I attempted macarons one - they were awful :) (You can't really tell from that photo but they had a similar diameter to a tennis ball.) Thankfully, they were edible.

My second attempt was even worse. They looked like biscuits/cookies. Almond-y, slightly meringue-y rather tasty cookies but definitely not macarons.

But, I do make fantastic shortbread, if I say so myself. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    solare wrote: »

lol :D
  • Options
    SummeririsSummeriris Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diyqueen wrote: »
    I don't see the others acting the way she does. Extremely irritating

All I saw was her concentrating on her baking. Which she actually said was harder than her exams. It' was the other people on the show that mentioned her week, not Ruby. Glen mentioned his bad week at least 4 times, but you didn't seem to have heard that. Well he is a lovely bloke but i did get tired of hearing about his week from hell.

What counted at the end was the baking. At least Ruby didn't cry over her disasters like Beca did the other week.. Wow, how dare Ruby stand there and just say out loud the bake was pretty bad.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Summeriris wrote: »
    All I saw was her concentrating on her baking. Which she actually said was harder than her exams. It' was the other people on the show that mentioned her week, not Ruby. Glen mentioned his bad week at least 4 times, but you didn't seem to have heard that. Well he is a lovely bloke but i did get tired of hearing about his week from hell.

What counted at the end was the baking. At least Ruby didn't cry over her disasters like Beca did the other week.. Wow, how dare Ruby stand there and just say out loud the bake was pretty bad.

Yes. I do think she gets a pretty harsh reception on here. A real shame as for me it mars what is usually a really lovely thread.

I find Francis a little wearing, but i have consciously tried not to be spiteful about her as it isn't really fair.
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think was also have to remember we're seeing what the directors decide to show us. I suspect they're showing us Ruby's downers for the exact reason that some people will react to them and it will provoke chat on forums and tweets and everything else.

I suspect all the bakers have moments when they think it's all going wrong and it's an utter disaster. The directors choose which of them they want to show, depending on what 'narrative' they want to play out.

Once again : We don't know these people. We've never met them. We're getting an edited version of how they react and behave in an incredibly artificial situation. It fair to comment on the bakes the present and, to a degree, on how they act. However, be aware we're all being manipulated, or at least the attempt is there.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a big fan of hers but felt really sorry for Frances when her tower collapsed.

Can cope with Gadget Man going. Didn't really warm to him.

Ruby was sounding more down-in-the-dumps than ever.

Christine shone.

Hugely relieved Howie's through! Never gonna happen (nor should it really!) but I want him to win.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoy Glen's sense of humour - he makes me laugh out loud every week.

I am afraid I never really warmed to Rob and I have always been of the opinion that the colour blue has no business in food items. It is just wrong. I don't think any of his bakes made any sort of mark for me sadly, although he seemed like a pleasant chap.

Howard is a sweetheart. He just is. His baking can be a bit ropey although his show stopper this week was top notch.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    I really enjoy Glen's sense of humour - he makes me laugh out loud every week.

A nice moment between him and Becca as well.

Glenn is larger than life, but not in an irritating way.
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done, Christine! Second time star baker now?:D

Rob should go. He seemed too coldly methodical and didn't seem to even enjoy his baking in the show any more.

Ruby IS GLOOMY isn't she? Gosh. But please no nasty things about her character or personality, please.

Glad Frances proved she could deliver taste with style finally! Not bad in her technical again!
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    :D

Strictly Come Baking!
    I'd watch it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Christine's Swiss chalet or whatever it was. It looked brilliant.

I was a bit taken aback that Rob went. I thought it may have been Howard or even dare I say Ruby.

And whilst I'm fascinated by Ruby's facial features, I am getting a bit fed up with her making excuses for why she's made this mistake or that mistake, and then the judges apparently making allowances for her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    Update : Nope, last week's cutaway after the 'we need to make a decision' speech was of some tulips in one of the flower beds outside the tent. No lingering shots of any bakes.

Ah crap, I thought I was onto something :)
  • Options
    floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob was the right one to go tonight but I think Howard is getting through by the skin of his teeth; He hasn't impressed me thus far.

Beca and Glen are my favourites and nice to see the rapport they have. I'm still sad about Ali though :(

Ruby's constant downers are starting to grate on me. I don't know if its just the way she speaks but that monotonous tone she has, along with the self depreciation, is really bothering me.

Most annoying for me however, and I know this goes against everyone on here, is Kimberley. She needs to tone down her smugness and take a bit of that self depreciation from Ruby!
  • Options
    Jennell_SierakoJennell_Sierako Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed watching this with husband and several kids. I have to admit I had never heard of a tray bake. OurTriplets however have made a biscuit tower which fell over in the living room. I wished I had heard of edible glue as one of our cats ran off once with a tube of glue and got it everywhere.

I find Ruby somewhat irritating but Glen is lovely and so is Kimberley.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Awh I like Ruby, I agree she's lacking self confidence and she's just reserved/shy.

Kimberly is annoying me no end now, started off really liking her but all her smiling is getting too much, that and her being shocked she didn't go home, is she serious? There was no chance of that.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
    Forum Member
    Think the right one went this week and I agree that blue has no business used as a food colouring!

I'm just amazed at the current craze for macaroons, they seem to be on every cooking programme at the moment, like paints, smears and foams! Hate them yucky-too sweet- tooth enamel removing things
This discussion has been closed.