Options

Intense Dislike of Some Voices

EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why do I have an intense dislike of some people’s voices to the point where it causes me distress if I’m unable to get away from them?

It’s not just certain accents, but timbre as well, and any sort of sibilance really hurts my ears. Sophie Long and Joanna Gosling on BBC News for example. If I’m able to, I change channel immediately to avoid them. Carl Mercer on BBC London News is another one whose voice causes me distress. Why? I can see it's nonsensical.

Some “posh” voices have the same effect. I’ve said before how much I dislike Frank Gardner’s voice. I'd love to know if anyone else has these reactions. Is this a recognised condition? I'd really like some insight into why I react this way.

Comments

• Options
    benayounbenayoun Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Hypocausis? Not sure about the spellng
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a funny thing where certain voices make me feel sick, a bit breathless. Ive never had proper indigestion but the feeling I get is what I would imagine indigestion to feel like.

The worst type of voices for me are usually american women with quite nasally voices, or like you say very posh voices. It sets off an odd feeling in what I think is my solar plexus.

Its quite odd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benayoun wrote: »
    Hypocausis? Not sure about the spellng

Thanks for your reply, which enabled me to learn a little about hypoacusis, but I don't think that is what I have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    I have a funny thing where certain voices make me feel sick, a bit breathless. Ive never had proper indigestion but the feeling I get is what I would imagine indigestion to feel like.

The worst type of voices for me are usually american women with quite nasally voices, or like you say very posh voices. It sets off an odd feeling in what I think is my solar plexus.

Its quite odd.

That sounds quite familiar to me. I have a strong reaction in my core that can make me feel incredibly anxious/breathless if I have to endure particular voices. It is odd isn't it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuanMebabe wrote: »
    That sounds quite familiar to me. I have a strong reaction in my core that can make me feel incredibly anxious/breathless if I have to endure particular voices. It is odd isn't it.

Its not something Ive ever discussed with someone to be honest. I am quite an odd person in that I have a plethora of anxieties and Im very sensitive to noise and light. I get claustrophobic by too much noise or clutter around me, (although I dont suffer from actual claustrophobia). I have the telly on very low to the extent that my OH cant hear it that well!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We sound quite similar in some respects. Sudden loud noises really alarm me. I dread to think what I'd do to anyone who let off an air horn in my presence or found it funny to shout in my ear. I think I would actually lose it temporarily. Restaurants that are quite noisy don't seem to bother me, but if it's much quieter and I can hear people's cutlery on their plates while they're eating, that causes me pain. I have absolutely no idea how this came about. As a child I grew up in a noisy household with dogs barking, children crying, TV blaring. You'd think I'd be completely desensitised to it, but a dog barking or a baby crying makes me angry if it continues for more than a few seconds.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I get it with my sister and cant stand talking on thr phone with her as that seems to make it worse.

She talks loudly and fast, and on the phone it sounds crackly in some places to the point that it actually hurts my ears.

In real life she talks loudly and can be a bit high pitched but talks for ages at a time. It really grates in your ears. Ive never noticed it with anyone else before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh my goodness, that sounds like me! Thank you for this link, I'm going to read more about misophonia.

Does this mean I'm bonkers? :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Interesting. I dont think mine is as severe as that, but its certainly anxiety and depression related as I wasnt like this when I was younger whereas now I find Im much less tolerant of my environment (noise, sound, physical space, light, temperature)) as I get older.

Especially interesting is the bit about mimicry which is unconscious. I find my accent changing in the presence of people with a different accent to me and certain mannerisms I start exhibiting which are not my own!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said just now I'd dread to think what I'd do to someone if they shouted in my ear or let off an air horn. I guess my response to such an event would make me a 9 or a 10!

http://www.misophonia.com/resources/misophonia-assessment-scale
  • Options
    Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate people that talk in a monotone drone like the woman who sits opposite me at work that talks constantly about herself - sheer torture.....
  • Options
    FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a Bupa advert on television now and her voice is grating, I thought it was me but a few have mentioned it as well.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its quite odd.

One particular American voice I dislike is that of Hilary Clinton, it is so harsh and just grates on me
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex Jones voice does my head in and it’s not her Welsh accent as I’ve got Welsh relatives and have no problem with the sound of Rhod Gilbert and Rob Brydon.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I've yet heard a Welsh voice I didn't like. The voices that cause me the least distress tend to be Welsh, southern Irish and some Scots. I usually enjoy West Country and Midland accents. I quite like RP, but not overly posh. Brian Sewell and the ludicrous sounds he makes drives me to despair.

What a strange condition this is.
  • Options
    LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I et extremely angry at some voices, like I can't stand it.

There's an advert for some kind of fancy tap, that I think runs boiling water, and can help cook stuff in some way. The woman's voiceover is really really annoying to me, so I have to turn if off to avoid throwing a brick through the TV.

I also can't stand loud penetrating voices, particularly kids / teenagers if they get rowdy..they make me anxious, stressed, and panicky. My cousin's two boys, are awful for it. If there's a family meal, they ruin it - talking to each other from opposite sides of the room, the younger one crying and being a brat, and my cousin doing nothing about it. It just sounds like total chaos to me. You can't have a conversation or even think straight. I don't know how my cousin puts up with it. It must just have become normal to her now. It puts me off going to any family get togethers where they are going to be there, and I've come to dispise them, even though I love them really (if that makes sense).
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LifeisGood wrote: »
    I et extremely angry at some voices, like I can't stand it.

There's an advert for some kind of fancy tap, that I think runs boiling water, and can help cook stuff in some way. The woman's voiceover is really really annoying to me, so I have to turn if off to avoid throwing a brick through the TV..

Yes it's that damn Quooker advert — "There's a tap that makes your coffee, there's a tap that makes your tea" . . . . . " that one, it certainly is a very annoying voice
  • Options
    LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Yes it's that damn Quooker advert — "There's a tap that makes your coffee, there's a tap that makes your tea" . . . . . " that one, it certainly is a very annoying voice

Glad it's not just me! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I've seen that advert, but will listen out for it: :o:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't stand listening to nasally voices, I've had to either leave the room, turn the telly off and a few times I've had to change train carriages :-(
    Andy Peters voice irritates me no end and I didn't like listening to the woman from xfactor Chloe.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The older I get the more intolerant I am about noise. There are two women where I work who have posh voices that are languid drawls. I don't have a problem with posh voices per se (although Brian Sewell's is just awful - but is he really posh, it sounds put on) but their voices are really like nails down a blackboard.

I also hate the sound of typing. Not everybody's, just some people have an irritatingly loud way of typing. I hate it when I am commuting and someone gets their laptop out and taps away the whole journey. Also when commuting I hate it when women are putting on make up and they are constantly rattling around in their make up bags, all the compacts banging into each other.

As I am typing this I realise how bonkers it sounds but I am noticing noise more and more and it really grates on me. I have mentioned the annoying typing to a few people before at work and they just look at me blankly. So I realise it is just me. Wherever possible I stick on headphones to drown out what I don't like to hear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The older I get the more intolerant I am about noise. There are two women where I work who have posh voices that are languid drawls. I don't have a problem with posh voices per se (although Brian Sewell's is just awful - but is he really posh, it sounds put on) but their voices are really like nails down a blackboard.

I also hate the sound of typing. Not everybody's, just some people have an irritatingly loud way of typing. I hate it when I am commuting and someone gets their laptop out and taps away the whole journey. Also when commuting I hate it when women are putting on make up and they are constantly rattling around in their make up bags, all the compacts banging into each other.

As I am typing this I realise how bonkers it sounds but I am noticing noise more and more and it really grates on me. I have mentioned the annoying typing to a few people before at work and they just look at me blankly. So I realise it is just me. Wherever possible I stick on headphones to drown out what I don't like to hear.

It is bonkers isnt it but Im completely the same. As I get older I am less tolerant.

One of the worst things is when I visit my parents. My mum has always been really heavy handed with things and when she makes a cup of tea, she stirs the tea in the cup like a cement mixer, really fast and hard and makes this bluddy noise. She's always banging and crashing in the cupboards if she puts a plate away or gets one out. We're going this weekend which is why Im thinking about it!

I also hate the sound of the dishwasher being loaded and unloaded, all the clanking and clinking, its so loud and harsh on my ears.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is bonkers isnt it but Im completely the same. As I get older I am less tolerant.

One of the worst things is when I visit my parents. My mum has always been really heavy handed with things and when she makes a cup of tea, she stirs the tea in the cup like a cement mixer, really fast and hard and makes this bluddy noise. She's always banging and crashing in the cupboards if she puts a plate away or gets one out. We're going this weekend which is why Im thinking about it!

I also hate the sound of the dishwasher being loaded and unloaded, all the clanking and clinking, its so loud and harsh on my ears.
    The sound of someone crunching apples really loudly, for some reason my husband makes dreadful noises eating grapes :confused: I wonder if he's actually processing it into wine in his gob.
  • Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How strange this thread is! I always thought it was just me alone in this world with the dislike of certain voices. At the moment I switch off when two BBC news people appear - I can't even think of their names but one (a lady) does business reports and the other I have just recalled his name is Robert Peston. They make me feel so uncomfortable - why?? I don't have a clue! My OH has become used to my strange ways over the years but still can't understand it.