The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Didn't the BBC recently make a major commitment to EE by announcing they were going to enlarge the square and introduce a number of new streets, a project that will take three years to complete with a major rebuilding of the set.

As did ITV by rebuilding a new full scale Corrie set at Salford Quays with extra streets and many new filming opportunities. A big investment that - like with EE and the BBC - is only happening as soaps are not going anywhere soon. Even onto ITV 2 or BBC 2.

Claire King was talking of how impressed she was by the size and investment of the new Corrie set on This Morning today.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As did ITV by rebuilding a new full scale Corrie set at Salford Quays with extra streets and many new filming opportunities. A big investment that - like with EE and the BBC - is only happening as soaps are not going anywhere soon. Even onto ITV 2 or BBC 2.

Claire King was talking of how impressed she was by the size and investment of the new Corrie set on This Morning today.

The soaps aren't leaving. It's unfortunately the viewers that are going.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    The soaps aren't leaving. It's unfortunately the viewers that are going.

:-)

Still getting c7m each 4-6 times a week. Not much else would manage that. Total reach is vastly higher of course.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,696
    Forum Member

A lot depends on how you define "soon" -you may be disagreeing with people who dont vastly disagree with you on the issue of timescale.

The BBC and othee broadcasters often spend vast amounts of money on tv programmes and other projects ie digital or IT projects that ultimately fail or are dropped.

So tbh the investment your flagging up is only proof of their intention to keep the shows going.

Proof of intention is not proof of outcome or how things will play out over the next decade or so.

We only have to look at the history of tv and indeed politics and life in general to see this.
    Forum Member
    :-)

Still getting c7m each 4-6 times a week. Not much else would manage that. Total reach is vastly higher of course.

By vastly you mean what kind of figure?
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    As someone said - he's cheap filler. It's vaguely PSB remit broadcasting and is not intended to get big numbers. Indeed you might say that if a random weather presenter was associated with the programme it wouldn't have got a slot winning 2.8m, so he's delivering to a new audience otherwise disinterested.

The random weather presenter would have to be Tomasz ..... simply because he looks quite hot in a suit, in shorts, and in lycra ;-)
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burbe wrote: »
    I'd say it's further than that point now. Look at the ratings - it's only matching EE's figures from this time last year. ITV really need to pull their finger out and do something before it's too late - EE didn't, and now it's been stuck in this ratings lull for 1 year since the new EP arrived, despite a drastic improvement in quality. EE's reputation was tarnished too much for a quick turn around, and it looks like the same will now happen to Corrie due to ITV's lack of action.
    It took EastEnders 3 years to hit the level it is now at. Corrie has got there in 12 months. I think for all his faults, and he had many, Bryan Kirkwood did come up with a good storyline every now and then, SB doesn't come up with any.
    ftv wrote: »
    The story line is unrealistic and totally inaccurate, what next, Martians landing in Albert Square ? I thought EE prided itself on tackling gritty contemporary issues ? At least get it right.
    What's unrealistic about it? Kat & Alfie's identification documents were all destroyed in the fire. And as said the council would just foist them off on temporary B&B accommodation. What would be unrealistic is the council plucking a 3 bedroom house out of thin air for them and allowing them to move into it straight away. It doesn't work like that. Kids or no kids.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2027247&highlight=

Some absolutely brilliant posts on here regarding the decline and future of tv soaps.Please feel free to post on my thread on the decline of soaps.

In terms of iplayer etc being included-I think basically year by year people need to compare the fall in ratings for the broadcast show to the changes if any in the fivures for iplayer viewing.If theres little change in the latter that suggests that those whove stopped watching the broadcast edition have stopped totally and not switched to viewing on iplayer etc
    I think some people flag up iplayer as the explanation for the drop without looking at this basic detail.
    I'm sure people will post in your thread if they see it and want to. They don't need prompting. :)

I don't know how the ITV soaps perform online as the figures never get released but EE's iPlayer figures have risen over the last few years.

Corrie aren't using their new set as well as they could be, something else that can be attributed to the laziness of its present upstairs team.

Do these new streets exist currently in Corrie? Or are they in the process of being developed because I haven't seen any?
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Hacker should be fronting BBC LE shows - at least he has a personality !! :D

We could start Hacker off with the current shows

Hacker does Pointless
    The Voice with guest judge Hacker
    Hackers Animal Hospital
    and
    Hacker is the new tough guy on the square - has Phil met his match :D

I think that I should stay off the mulled wine
    Forum Member
    LHolmes wrote: »
    It took EastEnders 3 years to hit the level it is now at. Corrie has got there in 12 months. I think for all his faults, and he had many, Bryan Kirkwood did come up with a good storyline every now and then, SB doesn't come up with any.

What's unrealistic about it? Kat & Alfie's identification documents were all destroyed in the fire. And as said the council would just foist them off on temporary B&B accommodation. What would be unrealistic is the council plucking a 3 bedroom house out of thin air for them and allowing them to move into it straight away. It doesn't work like that. Kids or no kids.

I'm sure people will post in your thread if they see it and want to. They don't need prompting. :)

I don't know how the ITV soaps perform online as the figures never get released but EE's iPlayer figures have risen over the last few years.

Corrie aren't using their new set as well as they could be, something else that can be attributed to the laziness of its present upstairs team.

Do these new streets exist currently in Corrie? Or are they in the process of being developed because I haven't seen any?

I was kinda prompting them because they may have not have seen it as theres not 100% crossover between this forum and the soap forum:)

I really dont seek others approval about what I post and If I wish to gently prompt I will happily continue to do so on the rare occasion I decide to do so.
    But thanks for the attempt at correction and direction but it really wasnt needed as I would only really prompt if I wanted to:)
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Separately I should add!

We've not become the new Dom and Steph! :-)
    :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was kinda prompting them because they may have not have seen it as theres not 100% crossover between this forum and the soap forum:)

I really dont seek others approval about what I post and If I wish to gently prompt I will happily continue to do so on the rare occasion I decide to do so.
    But thanks for the attempt at correction and direction but it really wasnt needed as I would only really prompt if I wanted to:)
    Hey I wasn't getting at you, but the decline of soaps has already been discussed at length here. Were the posters involved in the discussions here to participate in your thread they would likely only make the same points there that they have made here. :)
    Forum Member
    Hey I wasn't getting at you, but the decline of soaps has already been discussed at length here. Were the posters involved in the discussions here to participate in your thread they would likely only make the same points there that they have made here. :)

No worries-just crossed wires in the daftness of forum atmosphere:)Im daft and a tad sensitive I know:blush:

Im kinda hoping more people will make new points-I cant help but find the future of soaps fascinating in part because their a huge proxy issue for the future of television.

Perhaps Im sad lol:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No worries-just crossed wires in the daftness of forum atmosphere:)Im daft and a tad sensitive I know:blush:

Im kinda hoping more people will make new points-I cant help but find the future of soaps fascinating in part because their a huge proxy issue for the future of television.

Perhaps Im sad lol:D
    As others have said I don't think the soaps are in imminent danger. They may have declined but so has everything around them, apart from a few big entertainment shows which only run a few months of the year and even they're down a bit.
    Forum Member
    As others have said I don't think the soaps are in imminent danger. They may have declined but so has everything around them apart from a few big entertainment shows which only run a few months of the year and even they're down a bit.

Not imminent danger I would concur with that but equally I feel those who tend towards the view that their safe and assured for numerous decades to come are too optimistic.Nothing is certain in the longterm in an ever fast changing media landscape.Not that Im putting you in the hyper optimistic bracket!

I think its getting harder to see in the long run with declining ratings across the board how british broadcast tv especially ITV C4 C5 will remain profitably.
    Perhaps in this eventuality the BBC will become MORE important ,dare I say vital?
    Just perhaps...
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot depends on how you define "soon" -you may be disagreeing with people who dont vastly disagree with you on the issue of timescale.

The BBC and othee broadcasters often spend vast amounts of money on tv programmes and other projects ie digital or IT projects that ultimately fail or are dropped.

So tbh the investment your flagging up is only proof of their intention to keep the shows going.

Proof of intention is not proof of outcome or how things will play out over the next decade or so.

We only have to look at the history of tv and indeed politics and life in general to see this.
    They are in a period of retreat now, I'm not suggesting that Corrie will fall below Home and Away next year and be exiled to a morning slot on ITV 2, but ratings are falling by 10 per cent a year. I can see in 10 years time them having late afternoon slots , as I think 2 -3 million diehards will always keep the big three alive, same as BB survives on a loyal fanbase of 1-2 million depending on the version.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As someone said - he's cheap filler. It's vaguely PSB remit broadcasting and is not intended to get big numbers. Indeed you might say that if a random weather presenter was associated with the programme it wouldn't have got a slot winning 2.8m, so he's delivering to a new audience otherwise disinterested.

They're not especially cheap, these programmes, they're made by Oxford Scientific Films so they're not just a few library shots thrown together with a Crash Bang Wallop What A Video-esque voiceover, they're blue chip science documentaries. However, they would presumably be worth the Beeb persisting with because the credits last night had about half a dozen different co-producers so they're presumably shown all over the world and on airlines and that, so they don't cost the Beeb that much.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    They are in a period of retreat now, I'm not suggesting that Corrie will fall below Home and Away next year and be exiled to a morning slot on ITV 2, but ratings are falling by 10 per cent a year. I can see in 10 years time them having late afternoon slots , as I think 2 -3 million diehards will always keep the big three alive, same as BB survives on a loyal fanbase of 1-2 million depending on the version.

Yeah, they'll probably be in the same desperate position as neighbours, scratching by on next to none viewing figures while still thinking they're relevant. :)
  • Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    JordyD wrote: »
    Yeah, they'll probably be in the same desperate position as neighbours, scratching by on next to none viewing figures while still thinking they're relevant. :)

2 million is next to none?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »

Haven't most of the soaps in the States been axed in favour of so-called reality shows ?
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    A high overnight for "The Missing" on BBC one if viewers want to reach the conclusion immediately and without spoilers perhaps. I have never watched live before but there will be the danger of the final leaking online so this may encourage a bigger overnight.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    A high overnight for "The Missing" on BBC one if viewers want to reach the conclusion immediately and without spoilers perhaps. I have never watched live before but there will be the danger of the final leaking online so this may encourage a bigger overnight.

It's Also getting hyped up with DS snd Radio Times for example coming up with thier theories.

ITV shut up shop tonight, two old films and Emmerdale.
    Forum Member
    A.D.P wrote: »
    It's Also getting hyped up with DS snd Radio Times for example coming up with thier theories.

Does it face "Black Mirror 2" though? That could have be negative for both dramas.

ITV need to chase more writers for drama, they produce excellent series too but just not enough. Especially on Tuesdays.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »

It's even worse when you consider it's one of the more competitive Tuesday schedules of the year for ITV (excluding football, I'm A Celebrity and Britain's Got Talent).
    Forum Member
    ITV seem to be using their soaps rather than returnable dramas as a draw. Which has led to extra viewer fatigue with the two big soaps. Still they have "Broadchurch 2" just around the corner.
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    So the Hammond doc actually rated even lower? Why oh why do they keep persisting with this man:(

What the hell are the BBC doing keeping this utter muppet on air, he can't present and has a very punchable face, feel sorry for the viewers in Wales who had to suffer the odious and bargin bin karaoke pub singer Jenkins, bet the ratings for that were in the sewer never mind the toilet.

As per usual ratings are nothing to write home about, soaps are dropping so I will now happily accept a bet that the soaps on Crimbo day will rate poorly.😊
This discussion has been closed.