Response to Tabby's Interview on Digital Spy

sstephanie40sstephanie40 Posts: 672
Forum Member
✭✭
I thought that having read Tabby's interview on this site, that someone needs to put forward another point of view on some of his points.

If Tabby was unhappy with the direction that Mark Hudson was taking, when producing his new material after X- Factor; instead of getting "nearly an albums worth of material", which he scrapped as "shit" because it was the "opposite of what he was", why on earth didn't he speak out at the time?

Could it be that this material was in fact being shown to record companies by Mark in the US, in order to get Tabby a deal?

And when this didn't work, (because, just perhaps, they just didn't rate Tabby as worth a deal - life sucks when the red carpet is suddenly not rolled out for you) isn't it easier to "bite the hand that feeds you" and blame the producer, rather than to admit that it is you that needs to change your rather pedantic, intransigent attitude? If Tabby had got that US deal - I bet the album would have been absolutely fantastic!

Don't forget that Mark has produced amongst others, Ringo Starr over the last 5 years. He has sold a heck of a lot more albums in his career than Tabby ever will! He has also worked with Bon Jovi and Aerosmith as a songwriter and producer too and while that in itself is not a guaranteed indicator of success - don't forget that Chico (now there's "real" talent Tabby!) has had a number one in the UK with a song that Mark wrote and produced.

Down to promotion? Possibly? But without a decent melody, no song will find a buyer - kids are savvy enough not to buy rubbish. To date, "Chico Time" has sold nearly 80,000 copies!

I doubt if Tabby will ever find a producer who takes the artists he works with more seriously. Mark helps all the acts he works with on X Factor - irrespecitive of who they belong too; he just does it for the music's sake.

Perhaps in future Tabby might keep his thoughts to himself and be a little less candid.

If other record producers see this - do they want to be the next in line for a castigation? You have been warned...

Please remember Tabby, it's not what you know in the biz - but who you know.......

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    When was this interview? Got a link to it please?
    Forum Member

Interesting article. When I heard Mark Hudson was going to be working with Tabby I was mightily surprised as I didn`t think Tabby would take kindly to any kind of musical direction.

Can`t see anything wrong in him scrapping the Hudson-produced album. If it didn`t reflect him musically then there was no point in issuing it. But I do find it odd he waited so long to ditch it. Can`t see why he didn`t tell MH at the time that it wasn`t working. He`s not exactly a shrinking violet when it comes to shouting his gob off. :rolleyes:

I see he got a dig in about Steve Brookstein. The guy`s arrogance is astonishing - according to him - out of all the X-Factor contestants -only himself and Rowetta had a musical background. :rolleyes:

He`s a bit of a prat really.
  • SusannSusann Posts: 31,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That reads like a good honest interview to me. Don't agree with everything Tabby says in it, but a fair majority of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geraniums wrote:

Interesting article. When I heard Mark Hudson was going to be working with Tabby I was mightily surprised as I didn`t think Tabby would take kindly to any kind of musical direction.

Can`t see anything wrong in him scrapping the Hudson-produced album. If it didn`t reflect him musically then there was no point in issuing it. But I do find it odd he waited so long to ditch it. Can`t see why he didn`t tell MH at the time that it wasn`t working. He`s not exactly a shrinking violet when it comes to shouting his gob off. :rolleyes:

I see he got a dig in about Steve Brookstein. The guy`s arrogance is astonishing - according to him - out of all the X-Factor contestants -only himself and Rowetta had a musical background. :rolleyes:

He`s a bit of a prat really.

I agree about the arrogance bit, but I like a bit of arrogance in artistes. I don't know if it was really a dig at Steve or more that Tabby is a big Rowetta fan and let's face it most people know Steve and Rowetta have never really got on with each other, so maybe that's why Tabby felt the need to say that, who knows.

Steve saw Tabby and his band the other week and was saying how great they are, so doubt there are too many if any hard feelings between them ;):)
    Forum Member
    Susann wrote:
    I agree about the arrogance bit, but I like a bit of arrogance in artistes. I don't know if it was really a dig at Steve or more that Tabby is a big Rowetta fan and let's face it most people know Steve and Rowetta have never really got on with each other, so maybe that's why Tabby felt the need to say that, who knows.

Steve went to see Tabby and his band the other week and was saying how great they are, so doubt there are too many if any hard feelings between them ;):)

I`ve been to several gigs where his band have played and they are okay. Nothing startling, but good musicians.

Arrogance is alright in artistes I like. If I`ve gone off them, then it`s no longer alright! :p:D;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geraniums wrote:
    I`ve been to several gigs where his band have played and they are okay. Nothing startling, but good musicians.

Arrogance is alright in artistes I like. If I`ve gone off them, then it`s no longer alright! :p:D;)

Ok then, I will go along with that last bit :D;)

I liked Tabby, but his music did nothing for me, he does have great stage presence though :)
    Forum Member
    Susann wrote:
    Ok then, I will go along with that last bit :D;)

I liked Tabby, but his music did nothing for me, he does have great stage presence though :)

Am surprised SB went to see the group. Didn`t think that was his type of music - but then I know zilch about SB so I`m only surprised at myself for being surprised. :D
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Tabby was unhappy with the direction that Mark Hudson was taking, when producing his new material after X- Factor; instead of getting "nearly an albums worth of material", which he scrapped as "shit" because it was the "opposite of what he was", why on earth didn't he speak out at the time?

Much easier said than done. If you are working in a studio with someone like Mark Hudson and you start shouting your mouth off about not being happy, doubt you would spend much longer in that studio! Guess Tabby just went along with what was being done in the hope that maybe it would move more in his direction eventually. It's not unusual for artists to be pushed into a certain genre which does not suit them, yet they will go along with it in the hope that once given the opportunity to make an album they will then get the clout needed to do what they want to in the future.
    Could it be that this material was in fact being shown to record companies by Mark in the US, in order to get Tabby a deal?

And when this didn't work, (because, just perhaps, they just didn't rate Tabby as worth a deal - life sucks when the red carpet is suddenly not rolled out for you) isn't it easier to "bite the hand that feeds you" and blame the producer, rather than to admit that it is you that needs to change your rather pedantic, intransigent attitude? If Tabby had got that US deal - I bet the album would have been absolutely fantastic!

Are you just guessing that this happened? Seems unlikely that unfinished material would be touted around to record companies. Think it's more likely that both Tabby and Mark realised that things were not working between them and scrapped the material that had been done. Watching the documentary shown about Tabby post X-Factor, it was fairly obvious that Mark wanted Tabby to fit into a mould, play guitar a certain way, and it may be intransigent - but Tabby made the comment that he'd being playing guitar for years, and was now expected to completely change his style to suit Mark.
    - don't forget that Chico (now there's "real" talent Tabby!) has had a number one in the UK with a song that Mark wrote and produced.

Down to promotion? Possibly? But without a decent melody, no song will find a buyer - kids are savvy enough not to buy rubbish. To date, "Chico Time" has sold nearly 80,000 copies!

Bless Chico's cotton socks. He's a great entertainer, but in all honesty are you really suggesting that 'Chico Time' had a good melody??? :eek: All down to promotion and getting the material out at the right time. Maybe if Tabby had released a pile of junk called "Oim Irish Me" nearly straight after the X Factor, accompanied by copious amounts of promotion - then he too would have had Chico's success.
    I doubt if Tabby will ever find a producer who takes the artists he works with more seriously. Mark helps all the acts he works with on X Factor - irrespecitive of who they belong too; he just does it for the music's sake.

I don't doubt Mark Hudsons credentials - just think he had a set idea that didn't fit Tabby. Most good producers take their artists seriously - and some are a little less controlling.
    Perhaps in future Tabby might keep his thoughts to himself and be a little less candid.

If other record producers see this - do they want to be the next in line for a castigation? You have been warned...

Please remember Tabby, it's not what you know in the biz - but who you know.......

Just think Tabby was being honest - what would be the point of saying he loved all the stuff he'd done with Mark when it wasn't true?

I agree with your last point though - :D Sadly all too true. In other words - you can be total s**t and still do well if you toady up to the right people - or you can have talent, charisma, stage prescence, ability, extensive knowledge etc. etc. and you get nowhere because you refuse to prostitute yourself.
    Forum Member
    Jeanie wrote:
    ...............Maybe if Tabby had released a pile of junk called "Oim Irish Me" nearly straight after the X Factor, accompanied by copious amounts of promotion - then he too would have had Chico's success............

:D:D:D
  • sstephanie40sstephanie40 Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeanie wrote:
    Most good producers take their artists seriously - and some are a little less controlling.

........But the real controlling was perhaps a certain Mrs O....??
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never liked him - so wont say anything as my opinions would be biased
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Tabby said about The Faces that really sums up where he is coming from - good old Pub Rock. Exactly right the Faces were a thumping great pub rock band, loved all their stuff, the good times feeling, the energy.. personally I think that is where Tabby is at too but I don't think he has anything extra really to offer than loads of other great pub bands that are not signed - I will try to get to see him live as I bet its a good gig, I'm just not sure that in the current climate his style of music will transfer successfully to the radio / be recorded..

I admire him for "keeping it real" and whilst I know Mark Hudson produced and wrote for Aerosmith I have never really rated him - have you heard any of Ringo's albums :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,898
    Forum Member