Options

Harrry Potter 8!

Comments

• Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadout wrote: »
    As has been mentioned before, I think there is still scope for telling the back story to events in the Harry Potter series. But I agree that she shouldn't touch the aftermath, the epilogue in Deathly Hallows illustrated perfectly that there was not really anything to be added to the tale other than kids all having completely ridiculous names.

I would really love for Rowling to tell more of the story behind the original Order of the Phoenix and what happened during the "first war". Mostly though, I want to know how the hell everybody thought that Sirius was in league with Voldemort!

Because Sirius was framed - think the whole secret keeper / explosion / faux murder of Wormtail etc :D
  • Options
    Ocelot ThomasOcelot Thomas Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Because Sirius was framed - think the whole secret keeper / explosion / faux murder of Wormtail etc :D

Explained in my comment above

Parrots seem to live on here
  • Options
    ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Becuse his Brother was a known Death Eater and all his family Slytherines.
    Plus they all believed he blew up the empty street.
    Plus everyone thought he was the obvious choice for secret keeper, meaning when Voldemort found Godric Hollow everyone would think their best friend gave them up.

Whilst that is all very true, it doesn't take into account that he was openly and vehemently anti-Slytherine himself, couldn't stand his brother or any of his family, moved in with the Potters at the first given opportunity etc.
  • Options
    Ocelot ThomasOcelot Thomas Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Shadout wrote: »
    Whilst that is all very true, it doesn't take into account that he was openly and vehemently anti-Slytherine himself, couldn't stand his brother or any of his family, moved in with the Potters at the first given opportunity etc.

Yes but Death Eaters are good at being spys and intergrated into civilian life pretty well.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Explained in my comment above

Parrots seem to live on here

Oh dear - mon apologies - I didn't realise you were the only poster allowed to reply :D

No need to be so rude about it!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    An eighth book to cover what happened after Harry left Hogwarts would be reasonable. There could be quite a few death-eaters or other bad guys who weren't deterred by the death of the V-man.

Besides the Harry Potter books are her only major income and she cannot count on writing any more successful books, so you can't begrudge her wishing to get a little extra out of it so she has enough to live on for the rest of her life.
  • Options
    metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    An eighth book to cover what happened after Harry left Hogwarts would be reasonable. There could be quite a few death-eaters or other bad guys who weren't deterred by the death of the V-man.

Besides the Harry Potter books are her only major income and she cannot count on writing any more successful books, so you can't begrudge her wishing to get a little extra out of it so she has enough to live on for the rest of her life.

Very true, she's probably going to find it hard to survive on just the £576 million she's got now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    PrinceGaz wrote: »

I wish o could live on what she has i guarntee i wouldnt work in a day job again but as she like what she is doing i think she will write something again
  • Options
    ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who wants to be the first to start up the "JK Rowling Support Fund"? Maybe we could get Bono and Coldplay to join in the appeal?
  • Options
    Brendan TBrendan T Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    So I take it she has no intention of making a new one
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope she doesn't write another.

I consider her a poor writer, but I appreciate Rowling's Potter books, indeed I grew up on them and they are probably the reason I love books now. But adding to the Potter series would be proof she has nowhere else to go, which would be a shame. Like I said, I don't think she's a great writer, but she's a good storyteller, and it'd be a shame if she has no other tale to tell than Potter and the mythology surrounding him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Revenga wrote: »
    I hope she doesn't write another.

I consider her a poor writer, but I appreciate Rowling's Potter books, indeed I grew up on them and they are probably the reason I love books now. But adding to the Potter series would be proof she has nowhere else to go, which would be a shame. Like I said, I don't think she's a great writer, but she's a good storyteller, and it'd be a shame if she has no other tale to tell than Potter and the mythology surrounding him.

A rubbish writer but a good story teller?
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brendan T wrote: »
    A rubbish writer but a good story teller?

It's perfectly possible to be both, you know... look at HP Lovecraft. One of my favourite writers ever, though technically he's awful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    It's perfectly possible to be both, you know... look at HP Lovecraft. One of my favourite writers ever, though technically he's awful.

The guy what wrote them books... lemony snippet or something? Hes awful!
  • Options
    PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love JKR to write another set of books, not really too fussed about what she writes, maybe the next generation with Harry and co as wisened advisors. I definitely do not want to see Voldemort back in any shape or form although a resurgence of the Death Eaters in some fashion would be ok.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She could do a series of books about the life of Albus Dumbledore. She says it's one of her favourite characters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not like she needs the money lol. If she did write another book I don't imagine i'd read it, I lost interest in the franchise after reading DH and realising how crap it was!

I think the next time I'll read the books is when I have kids lol in many years to come!
  • Options
    GrindlewardGrindleward Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    kitty_koo wrote: »
    It's not like she needs the money lol. If she did write another book I don't imagine i'd read it, I lost interest in the franchise after reading DH and realising how crap it was!

I think the next time I'll read the books is when I have kids lol in many years to come!

Why did Harry Potter 7 and The Deahtly Hallows make you think it was crap?
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    kitty_koo wrote: »

I kinda agree, I thought DH was rather boring and was a lot longer than any of the other books.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did Harry Potter 7 and The Deahtly Hallows make you think it was crap?

I agree with what cnbcwatcher said basically, DH was full of padding which was completely unncessary and made the book hundreds of pages longer than it should have been. Also I hated the epilogue, but many people have already discussed the faults with that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 8th book is to be a Potter Encyclopaedia and not a story. I look forward to reading it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    The 8th book is to be a Potter Encyclopaedia and not a story. I look forward to reading it.

There has been talk of this I hope it happens
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and would hate another book. I've already 'said' my goodbyes with Deathly Hallows!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and would hate another book. I've already 'said' my goodbyes with Deathly Hallows!

I agree with this comment, I feel the same way. I don't begrudge JKR from writing more books, but I do think she has finished the Harry Potter story and therefore should move away from the universe. If she wants to come back to it maybe come back to it years down the line when she has written a few more books and people have become a little less fanatical about the Harry Potter books.

Also I wouldn't really want a Harry Potter Encyclopaedia, it would just feel like a prop or memorabilia to me, she would probably do it for charity which is the only reason why I would think it was a good thing to do.

I personally would retire - I would rather go out with a bang rather than with a whimper if the other book is poor.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    isn't she writing a non-potter book ?