Elton John to be a Daddy Again

Comments

• goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Age been mentioned
    That should never be a factor as you can be say in your middle 20's and sadly you may become very ill and pass away etc etc
    Nor should if you are Gay be a factor
    I am sure Elton and David are fantastic parents
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    I support gay co-parenting but Elton is 66 years old. At that age, it's selfish to want to raise a child.

lets say he was straight and got his 40 year old wife pregnant , would you advocate her aborting as they were too old and it would be selfish to bring them in to a life where they would receive love and want for nothing ?
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    I feel sorry for them having to buy a new mansion to make room for the new arrival.

I won't have that option when my twins arrive to make us a family of 5 in a 3 bedroomed (with 2 of them being rather small) house.

But if you did I am sure you would.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Age been mentioned
    That should never be a factor as you can be say in your middle 20's and sadly you may become very ill and pass away etc etcNor should if you are Gay be a factor
    I am sure Elton and David are fantastic parents

Of course - anyone can die at any time - but the risk does increase with age. Are you saying that 80 year olds (for example) should be allowed to adopt?

Their sexuality is irrelevant IMHO - but their age isn't. Having children is a privilege - NOT a right - and I think society needs to start understanding this.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those mentioning age .. My sister in law died of cancer 10 weeks after her son was born and she was 31 ..sadly there are no guarantees in life.. But if anything happens to Elton or David you can guarantee they will of made provision for their children
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    lets say he was straight and got his 40 year old wife pregnant , would you advocate her aborting as they were too old and it would be selfish to bring them in to a life where they would receive love and want for nothing.

40 years old is not too old. 65 is too old and why the "Let's say he was straight" response. This is not about him being gay, it's about him suddenly deciding at 65 to have his first child.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Congratulations, it'll be lovely for their little boy to have a sibling!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those mentioning age .. My sister in law died of cancer 10 weeks after her son was born and she was 31 ..sadly there are no guarantees in life.. But if anything happens to Elton or David you can guarantee they will of made provision for their children

Yes - but something has to give - you can't have OAP's and people in their 70's and 80's having kids - it's simply inhumane on all sides.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - but something has to give - you can't have OAP's and people in their 70's and 80's having kids - it's simply inhumane on all sides.

I must be honest ..I am torn a little because of Eltons age .. But think its to late to worry now this new baby is on his/her way.. I think it's sad that they waited till so late in life to have kids ..
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    good luck to them both
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be honest ..I am torn a little because of Eltons age .. But think its to late to worry now this new baby is on his/her way.. I think it's sad that they waited till so late in life to have kids ..

I think Elton feels the same, but perhaps he and David weren't personally ready for a family say, 10 years ago. David is just 50, Elton is 65, they're still relatively fit, and if anything - god forbid - were to happen to either of them, their children will be financially secure for life.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    40 years old is not too old. 65 is too old and why the "Let's say he was straight" response. This is not about him being gay, it's about him suddenly deciding at 65 to have his first child.

The reason I said "lets say he was stright" was a hypothetical situation if instead of choosing to have a baby and planning it as he has had to do being gay, if he was straight and he got his wife pregnant without planning , but he was still 65.
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,383
    Forum Member
    I strongly disapprove of surrogacy for reward, whether by gay or straight people (and the majority of people buying babies this way are straight!), but at least Zachary will now have a sibling to share his unconventional upbringing and, hopefully, be a lifelong companion to him.
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    The reason I said "lets say he was stright" was a hypothetical situation if instead of choosing to have a baby and planning it as he has had to do being gay, if he was straight and he got his wife pregnant without planning , but he was still 65.

It would still be selfish, but at least the child would have one parent, his mother, who would be no more than two generations older than him or her by dint of simple biology. This child's youngest parent will be an OAP when he is an adolescent!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would still be selfish, but at least the child would have one parent, his mother, who would be no more than two generations older than him or her by dint of simple biology. This child's youngest parent will be an OAP when he is an adolescent!

This is all about circumstance.

Elton didn't meet David until late in life, so why should he be denied the chance to be a father? He could well have had a child when he was married to Renate, but it would have been a bit of a fluke, and a band aid child too.
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the consensus is that have money, can have anything! There are at least two issues in question re the Elton John parenting situation. Firstly, I would just like to clearly state that homophobia is a horrible choice of attitude to have and should not be tolerated. My deceased brother was gay, and always said that he believed that his sexuality/lifestyle dictated that he would never have children, but that was his choice. Had he been heterosexual, he said, he would definitely have had a family. I concur 100%; a child ought not to be raised by two gay parents, male or female, it does not provide the equilibrium required to evolve into a stable, well-balanced individual. Then there is the inevitable teasing by other children and possible ostracisation. Secondly, should a celebrity be able to buy a baby just because he/she can afford to do so? I do not dispute the fact that any child sired and raised by Sir Elton and David will want for nothing, financially, but everyone should start the process of becoming parents on an equal footing. How many couples acquire serious debt just to be able to embark upon IVF treatment? I wish them both, their son and the child they are expecting, all the best for the future, in the hope that the outcome is positive but it is, imo, a potential recipe for disaster. If one fast forwards 16 years or so, one can see the children being engulfed by a hedonistic lifestyle one would wish on no individual.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Elton didn't meet David until late in life, so why should he be denied the chance to be a father? He could well have had a child when he was married to Renate, but it would have been a bit of a fluke, and a band aid child too.

Because he's too old.

It's ego, pure and simple. When his child is 15 he will be 80 - if he's still going. & to say he'll be financially secure is true - but there's no substiute for parental love. Money is not the be all and end all.
    Forum Member
    Because he's too old.

It's ego, pure and simple. When his child is 15 he will be 80 - if he's still going. & to say he'll be financially secure is true - but there's no substiute for parental love. Money is not the be all and end all.

Well said. I find it amazing that so many seem to think that this child 'will not want for anything' - by which they must mean material possessions as the main requirement of good parenting.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    louise1966 wrote: »
    I think the consensus is that have money, can have anything! There are at least two issues in question re the Elton John parenting situation. Firstly, I would just like to clearly state that homophobia is a horrible choice of attitude to have and should not be tolerated. My deceased brother was gay, and always said that he believed that his sexuality/lifestyle dictated that he would never have children, but that was his choice. Had he been heterosexual, he said, he would definitely have had a family. I concur 100%; a child ought not to be raised by two gay parents, male or female, it does not provide the equilibrium required to evolve into a stable, well-balanced individual. Then there is the inevitable teasing by other children and possible ostracisation. Secondly, should a celebrity be able to buy a baby just because he/she can afford to do so? I do not dispute the fact that any child sired and raised by Sir Elton and David will want for nothing, financially, but everyone should start the process of becoming parents on an equal footing. How many couples acquire serious debt just to be able to embark upon IVF treatment? I wish them both, their son and the child they are expecting, all the best for the future, in the hope that the outcome is positive but it is, imo, a potential recipe for disaster. If one fast forwards 16 years or so, one can see the children being engulfed by a hedonistic lifestyle one would wish on no individual.

BIB - With respect, that is an incredibly outmoded and narrow perspective. Families now come in all shapes and sizes and I'm kind of dismayed that there are still people around who believe that a same-sex parental unit lacks the fundamentals that contribute to a child's well-being.

As for 'possible ostracisation', seriously, what decade are you living in?
    Forum Member

Nonsense. Elton has been with David for twenty years. If parenthood was such a pressing commitment for either of them it could have happened when they were both young enough to see a child through to adulthood. This isn't about 'circumstance' but the choices they have made.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nonsense. Elton has been with David for twenty years. If parenthood was such a pressing commitment for either of them it could have happened when they were both young enough to see a child through to adulthood. This isn't about 'circumstance' but the choices they have made.

Actually, no. I think Elton was a big selfish self-involved baby himself until relatively recently. He has more or less said this about himself in interviews over the years. Surely it's good that he didn't go down that route until he gained 'maturity' himself?

I just see two really happy people thrilled to bits with late fatherhood.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that's rather rude tbh.

If you disagree with me, far better and more polite to say 'I disagree' rather than your terse 'Nonsense'. Anyway, back on topic.....

If Elton has been with David for 20 years, 45 is late in life to find your dream partner. Many straight couples wait to have children. Why should gay couples be any different? And as to your comment that the child will want for nothing means money, that's an incredibly short sighted view. The child won't want for love either, as Elton and David appear to be incredibly loving parents. I disagree with you completely there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that's rather rude tbh.

If you disagree with me, far better and more polite to say 'I disagree' rather than your terse 'Nonsense'. Anyway, back on topic.....

If Elton has been with David for 20 years, 45 is late in life to find your dream partner. Many straight couples wait to have children. Why should gay couples be any different? And as to your comment that the child will want for nothing means money, that's an incredibly short sighted view. The child won't want for love either, as Elton and David appear to be incredibly loving parents. I disagree with you completely there.

Exactly. They waited until they felt the time was right for them. How that makes them selfish and self-indulgent is a bit of a mystery.

Anyhoo...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Actually, no. I think Elton was a big selfish self-involved baby himself until relatively recently. He has more or less said this about himself in interviews over the years. Surely it's good that he didn't go down that route until he gained 'maturity' himself?

I just see two really happy people thrilled to bits with late fatherhood.

Who can ever forget Tantrums & Tiaras when Elton was playing tennis, someone called out to him and he had a hissy fit, packed up and went home? That isn't a person who sounds ready to become a parent. Time changes and matures people, and now he feels ready to become a parent.

And good luck to him. It's obvious he and David adore Zachary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who can ever forget Tantrums & Tiaras when Elton was playing tennis, someone called out to him and he had a hissy fit, packed up and went home? That isn't a person who sounds ready to become a parent. Time changes and matures people, and now he feels ready to become a parent.

And good luck to him. It's obvious he and David adore Zachary.

Ah no, the funniest bit was when it got a bit too windy one night and he rang his manager in London to ask him to make it stop. :D
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would a couple aged 65/50 of normal income be allowed to adopt a child in California?

And if so why so.

65/50 is just far too old. What sort of child protection is there in the USA that they allow an old couple to adopt.

Elton John/David Furnish are treating a human being like some kind of puppy.